Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

"I found you Blondie."

I threw my head back and laughed. "I made it easy for you." I placed my arm in his outstretched hand. He led me further down the room, as my eyes wandered in amazement.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look tonight?"

"Not yet." I say coyly, clearly milking this out.

"You look stunning." His blue eyes shining down at me, his words genuine.

Despite wanting to thank him for the sincere compliment, I decided to mess with him. "I know." I reply smirking. To my relief he chuckles lowly. "I've been rubbing off on you too much." He admits softly shaking his head.

He stops suddenly and I almost bump into his back. "Do you want to dance?" My normal response would be a strong 'no', but tonight was the exception.

"Yes." I found it hard to contain my excitement. Typically I would be worried about my lack of dancing skills and rhythm combines with the novice abilities on heels, yet I forgot about all of that. I was optimistic for once, and the feeling was addictive.

Derric leds me to the dance floor where we were surrounded by tons of sweaty teenagers. I didn't give it another thought. He puts his hands on my waist and instructs me to place mine on his shoulders.

We began to sway in a slow-dance like fashion, the song Only You by Little Mix in the background.

"This isn't really a song for slow dancing." I comment looking past his shoulders at the stares we were getting. "People are looking." I felt compelled to tell him.

"Then let them." He must have sensed my uneasiness, because he added on, "Focus on me and this moment. Don't worry about what they were saying, tonight is about us." He pushed a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"You know for a moment there I thought you weren't coming." He changes the subject. Even in the dim lighting, I could see the nervousness on his face. "I considered texting you again but thought I would give you a break." He joked easing the tension.

"I'm glad you reconsidered because you were two texts away from being blocked." I smiled. "I came an hour late to keep you on your toes and make a grand entrance." I spared him the unnecessary details.

"You certainly are the focus of everyone in the room." Derric remarked staring directly into my eyes. I had the urge to avert my line of sight from his intense gaze, but ultimately couldn't tear myself away.

"Including you?" I asked unsure of where this flirtatious side of me came from.

"You had my attention long before that." My poor heart would not keep up with him. Derric Wilder would be the death of me, and I was surprisingly ok with that.

"The decorations are amazing." My eyes drifting to an ice sculpture behind him. I changed the subject to avoid dealing with his compliment. I didn't know how to deal with blatant compliments, having rarely received them.

"We didn't come this far to talk about the decorations." He reminded me with the hint of a small smile tugging the corner of his lips.

"And what did we come here for?"

"To be with you." Derric informed me. "I wanted the opportunity to talk to you in public without any worries someone might see us. Your mask does most of the work." He taps the edge of it lightly.

"You've seen me without it plenty of times." I mention, we go running practically every day.

"But do I know the girl behind it?" He questions.