Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The walk home was interesting. I had plenty of time during the cooldown to digest the entire encounter. It was certainly unlike any encounter I've had before. Talking with Derric was strange, and odd, but more importantly refreshing.

Despite the circumstances, it was fun talking to him. For once it felt nice not being treated like a constant burden. There was a creep factor, but at least I know why he looked so familiar, I must have seen him passing by in the hallway.

He was just another passing face in the hallway.

While it was nice meeting someone who treated me decently, I doubted I would ever see him again. I could tell we ran into different social circles, considering mine was nonexistent.

Until then, all I had was Edmon and my secret stash of Disney movies. Let's be honest a stack of Disney movies and a warm blanket will make you forget about your problems, no matter how big or small.

Personally, I welcome the distraction the movies brought. Immersing yourself into a world where all problems can be solved with True Love's Kiss was not the worst kind of distraction there was out there.

The movies were a paradox, they give you a sense of hope and tug at your heartstrings while at the same time, a painful reminder that they could never be realistic.

Happily Ever After's aren't a guarantee.

Some people just learn that lesson quicker than others.

Sighing, I unlocked the door to my house, the grey walls on the outside looking more dull each time I see them. I didn't have a second to put my bad down when Emma thrust a stack of papers at me. I dropped a few out of shock, and partially to regain my balance.

"These are all due tomorrow." She said with a malicious smile on her face.

I accepted the papers with a nod, feeling the beginning of a headache starting to come on. It was going to be a long night, that was for sure.

---------

It was a miracle I got any sleep considering how many all nighters I pull. I got hourly reminders from Edmond via text to go to sleep, which I promptly ignored. I'm Not going to be hearing the end of that tomorrow.

I had to do Emma's homework, and then the other two followed suit. Sophia and Harper, my other two lovely step sisters, gave me their work to do. The trio of terror as I like to call them, were all close in age, which made it easier for them to gang up on me.

Emma was the oldest of the three, although the same age as me and the evident ringleader amongst them. Harper was 9 months younger, and Sophia a whole year younger than us, but she tagged along with her sister's every move.

I used to think Sophia was too naive to understand what was going on, but as we all grew older it became clear that she was conscious of the decisions she made.

Why they choose to agonize me remains a mystery to this day.

I picked up my pen and began to write Harper's history paper. The difficult part was having to write it in "her own words", and still trying to sound intelligent.

Once in a while I would add in a couple of outlandish remarks that made no sense whatsoever. My favorite that I used so far was when I wrote that Jane Eyre was a cyborg and made connections to Robocop. I got the idea from Friends and knew I couldn't waste this opportunity. Needless to say I cracked up when I saw her teacher's comments.

It was a failing grade and the highlight of my week. I found my own little ways to get back at them for treating me like I was the gum at the bottom of their expensive shoes. The reason was never revealed, and honestly it's frustrating not being in the know for this long.