Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"Three. Two. One. Go!"

At the end of the count I was launched into the air like a rocket. I could feel the air rushing around me, and for a moment it felt like I could touch the tree tops. The feeling was exhilarating.

Then at once it all came rushing down and while I should have been scared that the ground was catching up to me, I knew I was safe.

My dad caught me in his arms. "Gotcha." I squealed in laughter and delight as his arms wrapped around me. I felt safe, despite being thrown into the air.

"Morgan!" My mother comes around chiding my father, her long chestnut hair flowing behind her in soft waves. "She's a child not a football." Though from the slight twitch on her face, you could tell she didn't mean it.

"I would never drop her." My father promised, booping me on the nose and causing me to giggle. "I love her too much Stella." He addressed my mother.

He leaned over give her a quick kiss. "Just as much as I love you."

I covered my eyes and let out a groan of disgust. "Yuckie!"

They laughed in the background at my repulsed reaction. "Can I go on the swings now?" I ask poking my dad in the cheek.

"Of course Adira, and I'll push you on the swings." I cheered up and wrapped my little arms around his neck. "YAY! Thank you daddy!" He chuckled lightly and let e down gently. I was antsy with anticipation.

"Let's go, let's go!" One hand looped around my father's hand, and the other around my mothers. Together we made our own little family.

-----------

"I can't do this anymore."

"She's your problem now."

"I need to be alone."

The sound of a door slamming and tires being scraped against the driveway.

In the midst of all of this I could hear screaming. It kept growing louder and loud with each passing second, the shouts agonizing and gut-wrenching.

"Help!"

"Help me!"

"He-" A scream broke out, cutting off the cries for assistance. I recognized the voice, I recognized the scream and that made things even worse.

I remember waiting that day, looking outside the window and waiting for a person who would never come.

Forever haunted by the screams.

---------

I jolted up abruptly, sweat clinging onto my back as I gasp in short breaths. I haven't had nightmares in a while, but when they do they throw me off guard and keep me on my toes by highlighting certain aspects of my life I wish to forget.

The nightmares make me relive the worst parts, over and over again until I'm consumed by the black hole of despair.

I take a few breaths to steady my breathing. My alarm clock read 3:48, still plenty of time to go back to sleep but I knew I would be awake for hours to come.

The nightmares don't just end when you wake up.

--------

"You want some ice cream sweetie?" My mother asked.

I nodded furiously. Who was I to refuse such a treat?

"What kind do you want?" My dad asks as I tug on his sleeve in the direction of the ice cream truck.