Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

I made a mistake, a huge mistake. I don't know if I could come back from this. And before you ask, no I didn't kill my step-sisters. Although if the chain of events goes as I think it would, I might want to.

I was in the hallway and Edmon was there. And for some reason beyond my comprehension, I waved at him and he waved back. I know this sounds overdramatic but we were surrounded by people, and it was fairly obvious who I was waving and smiling at.

I was jeopardizing his social status and putting a target on his back just by associating myself with him. I couldn't stand by as my step-sisters would swoop in and destroy him.

I faked being sick with nausea to get out of class and text Edmon. I was freaking out to the point that my breaths became shallower, and I could hear my heartbeat in my ears pounding like a drum.

Edmon met me in a secluded section of the hallway, presumably to calm me down. He took one look at me and I could see the sympathy in his eyes.

"It's ok, it was probably nothing."

I shook my head. "It was so close."

He took my hands in his, and raised his eyebrows. "You're hands are shaking." I look at him puzzled, I hadn't even noticed.

"I don't want anything to happen."

"If it means that much to you, I'll take care of it." He pauses for a second. "But it might be at your expense."

I look at him seriously. "Do it."

He sighs and pulls me into a hug. "I wish it didn't have to be this way." He muttered against my hair.

"Just a few more months." I try to say hopefully and failing entirely.

"That's no way to live Adira."

----------

My favorite part of my days have become my jogs at the park. Something recently has changed that makes me want to go out of the house other than to release my frustrations. I think it's fairly obvious to what I'm referring.

I can finally admit that Derric is a friend, which automatically makes me want to protect him from the harsh reality that is my family.

"So I saw you with Edmon in the hallway today." I froze in place. "I saw him kiss your forehead, are you guys dating?"

"Were you the only one that saw us?" I had to ask. If I thought waving was bad, if more people saw this I don't know what I'll do.

"I was getting some water, the hallway was empty, besides I only saw a quick glance. So I'm guessing you two are dating." There's something off about his tone but I don't have the time to analyze it.

I shake my head and smile. "No he's my secret best friend."

"I thought I was your secret best friend." Derric said matter-of-factly.

"Are you sure about that?" I asked teasingly. "I don't think we had the friend to best friend conversation yet."

"Are you cheating on me with Edmon?" He put his hand on his heart, feigning shock and hurt at the same time.

"I never wanted you to find out." I play along.

"But I did and now I can feel my heart shattering to pieces." He over dramaticized every word and I couldn't help but laugh. "I thought we loved each other."

I was suddenly aware that we were in public where everyone could see and hear us, and wondered what people would make of it but at the moment I did not care one bit. It was a liberating feeling.