Chapter Thirty Four

Chapter Thirty Four

"You made it!" Aunt Ava said relieved, seeing us walk in. She pulled me in for a deathly-crushing hug.

"We were 3 blocks away." I remind her trying to pull away. She didn't get the hint from my squirming. "You're squeezing me to death."

"Sorry sweetie" She finally pulls away and brushes hair out of my face. I could tell she was nervous from all the smothering. "The attorney said we should be let in any second now."

"Are you ok?" I hesitated to ask fearing the answer.

"Yes Adira, just have a few jitters." She was downplaying her nervousness to give me confidence, but it was doing the opposite effect. Seeing her nervous made me realize it was ok to have doubts.

"We'll be ok." I tell her earnestly, resting my hand on her shoulder. She squeezed the hand and smiled softly.

When one person is freaking out, it doesn't help if the other does the same. Two people running around like headless chickens doesn't solve anything. However, one calm person can boost morale in the other.

I'm pretty sure I got that from The Office.

About a minute later the doors opened and we were allowed in. Edmon and Derric stopped me before joining my aunt by the Prosecution side.

"We wanted to wish you luck." Edmon tells me.

"And let you know we're going to be right behind you the whole time." Derric added on.

"In summation, we're here for you."

"Thanks guys, I really mean it. I don't know what I would have done without you." I pull both of them in for an impromptu hug.

"Now go in there and win." Derric said kissing the top of my head.

"We'll try." Only time will tell what was to come next.

----------

Inside the courtroom, the attorney was talking quietly to Aunt Ava. His briefcase was open and he was pulling out stacks of papers.

"Oh Adira, there you are!" He greeted me. "I was just telling you aunt again we're in a good position today. There's nothing to worry about."

Inod absentmindedly, my eyes flickering to the other side where the bench laid empty. They weren't here yet and the thought of seeing them filled me with dread. If only there was a way we could go about this without having to see them.

I'm worried about what stunts they will pull and what lies they've told. Who knows what kind of antics they'll pull today.

The courtroom doors opened and from the sound of clicking heels multiplied across the limonoum floor I knew they've arrived.

"You don't have to look at them if they make you uncomfortable." Aunt Ava whispers in my ear like a mind-reader. "They can't hurt you anymore."

I went against my better judgement and looked over to their direction. I was blown away by how normal they looked and so unlike monsters. Kenny was dressed in a suit talking to their lawyer, and the girls all in blazers and matching skirts with high heels.

I guess not everything has changed.

I was waiting for them to make eye contact and sneer at me, but the only acknowledgement they make is Harper staring right past me frowning. Otherwise they kept their emotions in tact, it was slightly alarming. They weren't even on their phones which must be a new record for them.

"All rise for Judge Reinhold."

And so the case begins.

---------