Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One

"Can we talk in private?"

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

I knew good things wouldn't last long. I had less than five minutes of bliss and I guess that's it. Anytime someone asks to talk it's never a good sign, I've seen enough Romcoms to know that much.

I hadn't responded yet and he was looking at me intensely. I clear my throat and nod. "Sure." I tried to maintain a calm and collected exterior to distract from the way I was freaking out on the inside.

"Great, let's find a classroom to talk." I agree wordlessly, my mind already wandering. He seemed eager about this talk, yet he was nervous earlier.

We walk out of the cafeteria and down the empty hallways. We both remain silent, him for unknown reasons while I was being drowned by my own thoughts. It was a horrible combination, the silence was deafening and my mind exploding with worst-case scenarios.

What is he actually hates me and he defended me out of pity? There's plenty of reasons for him to have pity on myself. Was my speech that pathetic? I guess my badass moment was all in my head, no wonder people turned around so quickly.

What if he was playing me this whole time and this is all part of an elaborate scheme to prank me? It all seemed so real though, or he's an Oscar worthy actor.

What is he doesn;t like me in the way I think he does? What if I'm just looking too much into our relationship and it was clearly one sided but I was too oblivious to see the signs?

Most importantly, what if he looks me in the eye and says he just wants to be friends, crushing my heart in his hands.

As much as it hurt me that was probably the most likely outcome. That the unwritten code when people say "Can we talk."

It's over, I just need to prepare myself. How do I do this in the next 30 seconds?

"We can use this classroom, it's empty." Derric breaks the silence, opening the door. He reached over my head and turned on the lights.

"So what do you want to talk about?" I asked, swaying on my feet slightly. I wanted my tone to be casual and breezy, the complete opposite of what I was feeling.

"I thought we should clear the air between us, Adira." It was the first time he's said my name and I loved the way it rolled off his tongue.

"You know my name."

"Yeah, it took me long enough." He says with a hint of resentment. I flinched from the tone and turn away.

"I wish I told you sooner." I admitted as if it was any constellation.

"I still don't understand that part, did you want me calling you Blondie forever?" He was hurt and confused and had a right to know why. I felt horrible and it was time to finally set the record straight.

"I was going to tell you, that day in the park." I begin to explain, becoming nervous and gesturing with my hands more often. "There were so many times I wanted to blurt it out to you but I was scared of the consequences."

"You keep speaking in ambiguities." He shakes his head, disappointed. "What consequences?"

"You might want to sit down for this, it's a long story with a ton of background info." He seemed a little hesitant. "I promise, this will help explain why I acted the way I do."

Derric nods and takes a seat. I stood in front of the classroom and realized how ridiculous we looked. We looked like student and teacher with me standing in front of the classroom.