Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I didn't have a chance to dwell on the Derric issue any more than I've already have. There were too many other things going on for me to let my mind wander on him being a douche. I kick myself for not figuring it out before.

It's not like it matters anyway. I barely know the guy, it's not like we were best friends. He was just a passing stranger in my life, nothing more or less.

There are more important things in life than dwelling on just one asshole, the world is filled with them. Derric was just one of many, ordinary and nothing special.

I'll be sure to remind him of that next time I see him. If I see him again, I correct myself.

I was currently at work, and like always the dinner rush was hectic. So far there were no major disasters, just a few spills and bumps.

It was a fairly good day, and of course just as I said that things took a complete turn for the worse. I had to jinx myself, because my day wouldn't be complete without a set of bad luck.

I'm not talking about a small sprout of bad luck, I'm talking about a gigantic thunderstorm coming out of nowhere with the rain causing a chill to run down your spine and lighting feet away. That example was weirdly specific, but fit the situation perfectly.

My bolt of lightning was jagged and close I could feel it against my skin. Speaking in real terms it was Derric and his group of friends who just arrived. The cherry on the top was having my trio of step-sisters along with them.

"Adira, seat table 4." My boss orders.

I was screwed.

Derric couldn't see me or else he would recognize me and put the pieces together when Harper would out me. I don't know why I was so concerned about his reaction, especially considering the new development in his personality I discovered.

"Maria, switch tables with me." I beg my coworker.

She shakes her head apologetically. "I'm sorry Adira, I've got five tables already, you're on your own." She picks up a stack of menus and walks away leaving me alone. The last thing in the world I wanted to do was serve that table.

Then I heard my father's voice in the back of my head telling me to be brave and not cower in fear. This might end up being a disaster, but I'll survive whatever comes my way.

If I was going to do this, I needed a plan, and something quick. Preferably a plan so good that a lightbulb would appear over my head like they do in cartoons.

Spotting a cap in the corner of the room, I come up with an idea. I made sure to keep my head down, stuff all my hair into the hat and hope for the best. An endless supply of hope, the only motivator and destroyer of dreams.

"How can I help you today?" I begin to say quietly.

"Finally!" I heard one of them complain, my low gaze combined with the brim of the hat prevented me from spotting the individual.

"I guess good help is hard to find these days." Emma comments rudely, and causing the entire table to start laughing.

"Come on guys, it's pretty busy in here give her a break." I was surprised to hear Derric defend me. After the incident I witnessed, I had him pegged as a monster.

"Are you ready to order?" I clear my throat, trying to get away from them as quickly as possible.

They go around the table and each list an extremely long and complicated order. Harper, Sophia and Emma all just ordered salads, and the other girls at the table followed. The order for the guys were more straightforward and simpler.