Chapter Six

Chapter Six

"We need to talk." Those were the first words to come out of my mouth upon seeing Edmon. I couldn't help it, I woke up early, filled with self-doubt and worry over what I would say, and his potential reaction.

Sensing my rushed and serious tone, he looks at me oddly, and held up his phone. "I was just about to ask you the same thing. You asked me to come here way earlier to meet up with you, is everything ok Adira?"

"Everything's fine, but I thought we should have a chat," I say clearing my throat in an attempt to remove the uncomfortable lump lodged in the center. "I think the library is open now."

Edmon nodded and followed my lead. "I think by now you know the library schedule like the back of your hand."

"Even better than that." I commented. The library was a safe haven for me, a quiet place for me to go and catch up on work or get sucked into the life of a better world.

We make it to the library just as the doors were opening. I greet the librarian while Edmon just waves. I drag him to a spot in the back and take a seat.

"Shoot." He sits across from me, his arm draped over the chair next to him in a laid back manner. Although the look in his eyes made me realize how cautious he was.

"There's something I need to talk to you about, something I've been meaning to say for a while now." I trailed off. No! I need to get to the point, no more messing around.

I have something to say and my voice will be heard.

"I know you try to help me, and have my best interest at heart, but sometimes when you offer advice it strings." I see him wince in the corner of my eye and I struggle to go forward with the next part of my speech.

I take a deep breath to collect my thoughts once more. "You make me feel like I can't handle my situation on my own and that I'm incompetent when it comes to dealing with my own life. And I know you never intended it to be this way, but this is how my mind perceives it."

For some unknown reason I felt tears swelling up in my eyes.

I don't know why I'm getting emotional.

"Adira, I had no idea." He said, I could see the sincerity in his eyes. He got up abruptly, the chair scraping against the hardwood floor. Edmon came across the table until he was right in front of me.

My gaze was set to the ground, so he bend down to meet my eye level.

"I'm so sorry Ad. I never wanted to put you in anymore pain, but it hurts me knowing what you have to go through and not knowing how to stop it. I want to protect you. Sometimes I want to put you in your own plastic bubble." That's my best friend.

Edmon pulled me in for a hug, I pulled his as close as I could to me. My head resting against his chest, the sounds of my silent sobs mixed in with his steady heartbeat.

He never moved his arms from around me, and kept whispering comforting words in my ears. Granted most of it was him apologizing, and telling me to let it out.

I pulled away as the first bell rang. We must have been in there for a while. I sniffle and use the edge of my sleeve to wipe my eyes.

"Sorry for unleashing all of that on you."

Edmon tilts my head up so my hazel eyes looking into his brown ones. "Never apologize for having feelings Adira."

With the amount of stress and frustration I have going on in my life so far, it's a miracle I don't break down crying every five seconds. There has to come a point where I need to let my emotions go.

"Are you ready to head to class?" He asked me gently.

"Yeah, I'm going to be fine Ed."

"Text me if you need anything." He slung his bag over his shoulder and gave me a quick kiss on the forehead. I nodded along and watch him leave, waited a minute before walking out after him.

---------

The rest of my day went along,nothing too crazy. I got shoved a few times in the hallway, my locker jammed, tripped on my way to get some papers, and then the taunts started.

"What kind of name is Adira anyway?" Someone snickered during attendance.

"What is she wearing?"

"Do you see how run-down her shoes are?" They pointed at the small rip on the side of my sneaker. How could they know they were the only things I could afford?

"Her hair is so flat, and dry, ugh what does she use on it?" The simple answer, nothing.

"She's such a teacher's pet."

While I would have loved to put them back in their places with just a few words, it wasn't worth it.

They were children anyway.

I was waiting for lunch where I would take a well-deserved break. My day was almost over, I could make it a few more periods after going through everything so far. I could make it.

I meet up with Derric while the hallways were thinning out. I had him stand by my locker and pretend he was just on his phone and not waiting for me.

"Do you need help opening your locker?" He asked me while scrolling through instagram.

"I got it." I say through gritted teeth as I use both of my hands and all of my might to push against the handle.

I turn my head a fraction to ensure I wouldn't bump into anyone when I would eventually fly backwards. That was when I saw a familiar head of hair.

"Edmon, stand in front of me!" I whisper hurriedly.

He lifts his head up in confusion. Disorientated he asked, "What?"

"Just do it!" I hide behind Edmon when he came, his larger frame covering me entirely. I was completely invisible to the naked eye.

"Why are we doing this?" Edmon whispers over his shoulder. I could tell he was baffled by my abrupt demand. I was glad he was swift before Derric could shift his gaze a few inches.

"No reason."

"I deserve an explanation for why I'm acting like a human shield." He explains calmly.

"That guy over there." I poke his back in the the direction of the tall brunette man with light stubble on his face and mesmerizing light blue eyes that trapped you in an endless ocean.

"Who Derric Wilder?" Edmon asks

"What do you know about him?"

"He's the captain of the swim team, and used to be part of track, a hell of a runner actually." He continue to mumble on while I watched Derric in his natural high school habitat. You can tell a lot about a person by the way they hang out with their friends.

I never knew who he was before because I never bothered myself with school sports or spirit. I was more concerned with the education I was getting. To be honest I was glad he wasn't one of those arrogant meathead football jocks. I cannot stand them.

Derric's group of friends begin laughing obnoxiously and super loud. I couldn't help but overhear the rest of their conversation, because there was no way they were being subtle about it.

"How was the date last night?" They nudged him asking for details. Sometimes guys can act like a bunch of gossiping old ladies. I should know because I spend most of my time in the library.

Derric shrugged his broad shoulders with a small smirk on his face. "She was hot but brain dead, a total bimbo. She went to the doctors to get her head examined and they found it empty. I told her, 'I don't know what makes you so dumb, but it really works."

The rest of the group began laughing as he put down this women. It doesn't matter who she is, no one should be treated like that, especially behind their backs..

It's official, Derric is an asshole.