Chapter 1

A new dawn they say, is the starting of a new beginning.

During the war....

"It's over, it's over," Abike continued to say as she rubbed her bulging stomach.

"Abike! Abike!" Titi called, bringing her back to reality. "Are you okay? I hope you aren't feeling dizzy."

"Yes, I'm okay," Abike lied.

"Don't lie to me, it doesn't look like you're getting any better. You look like you have aged a decade in a couple of hours," Titi said.

"You worry too much," Abike said with a sigh.

"I have to worry for our safety. Just hold on, we'll get shelter soon," Titi assured her.

"Mo ti gbo ore mi, ose fun nnkan ti o ti se," Abike said with a smile on her face.

"I've heard my friend, thank you for what you've done."

"It's been a stressful day, are you hungry?" Titi asked.

"Yes. I feared you won't ask," Abike said. "Titi, do you see that cave," she said pointing towards the hidden cave.

"Shhhh!" Titi signaled Abike, placing her finger on her lips. "I heard a sound, they must be near. Hurry, let's go over to the cave before we get caught," she said pulling Abike towards the cave.

***

"Eddy, do you hear that?" John, his colleague called out to him.

"Yeah, someone is here with us," Eddy said clutching his gun closer to his chest. "I think the sound is coming from here," he said moving towards the cave.

"I swear if I see a bloody Negro, I'm gonna shoot the bloody hell out of him,"John spat.

"Wait!" Eddy said, putting a stop to his tracks. "I'm going in," he said to John. Moving closer to the cave, he saw two women inside.

***

Surprised to see two females out here in the open during a time of war, he did something he wasn't expecting.
He wanted to shoot but seeing the fear on the two women's faces, he just couldn't execute the dreadful act. He noticed one of the women was pregnant. Slowly, he turned his back and swore never to take pity on any Negro he saw again.

***

"The place is empty," he said to John.

"What? Are you sure of what you're saying?" John asked dumbfounded.

"Yes, I think we heard wrong," Eddy said as he walked towards another direction.

"Next time, I'll be the one to lead the way," John said getting ahead of him.

"That was close,"Eddy said under his breath.

***

"Thank goodness! We would've been killed," Abike said dropping to the floor. "I'm so tired and hungry, I don't think I can continue this."