Chapter 17

"Maami, don't worry, I'm staying here with you," Ire said as he smiled at his mother.

"It's Independence Day, you need to watch the celebration going out on the streets with your friends," Abike said as she dropped Ire's  food on the wooden table.

"If I go out with my friends, you would be all alone and I don't want that," Ire said as he took a mould of eba into his mouth.
"I can't go out with them because I had a fight with Tobi, I really don't understand his behaviour these days."

"What exactly happened at the car park?" Abike asked.

"A prostitute came over to the park shouting at Tobi to pay her an amount of money that they both agreed on. Then, Tobi told her that he couldn't pay her yet and he begged her that he was going to pay her by the end of the month. After the woman left, I tried asking him what happened, but he just shut me out even  when I offered to help," Ire said with a frown, clearly not pleased as he told Abike all that happened.

"Sometimes, men don't like when they get help from someone else, it's like hurting their pride. So, it's better if you leave it to him to solve by himself," Abike said to her son.

Looking at his mother with a smile, Ire thanked his stars that he still has his mother by his side despite all that they have been through. He didn't want to see her get hurt, she has been through alot.

"What?" Abike asked with a chuckle when she noticed Ire looking at her surreptitiously.

"Nothing," Ire lied.

"There is something that you're thinking about, you know you can always tell me," Abike said with a smile.

"I'm just so grateful that I've you by my side," Ire said.

"I wish Ogunkanmi and Ogunyemi were here with us," Abike said sadly.

"Things happen for a reason," Ire said trying to make Abike feel better.

Abike looked at Ire with a sad smile as tears fell down her cheeks.
"Yes," she nodded as she wiped the tears of her face.

***

"I'm so sorry," Barbara said again when she looked at the young man standing in front of her.

"It's okay. I wasn't watching out," he sad with a smile. "You're looking for someone?"

"I'm actually running from something," Barbara said with a laugh.

"What?" He asked with furrowed eyebrows as he looked at Barbara.

"That," Barbara said as she pointed to the shop.

"Doesn't look good," he said in a low whistle. "Your first time?"

"Uhhh."

"Is this your first time in Nigeria?"

"Oh! Yes, I'm actually enjoying my stay in Nigeria," Barbara said as she looked around for Folakemi.

"Looking for someone?"

"Yes. She said she wanted to eat like ten minutes ago," Barbara said with concern.

"Let's go check up on her, she might still be in there," he volunteered.

"Thank you," Barbara said as they walked towards the shop.

***

"Leave me alone!" Folakemi screamed, as she tried to push the man off, but his grip was to strong on hers.

"Don't make this hard for me," the man said as he slapped her hard on the face.

"Please, leave me alone," Folakemi begged amidst tears.