Chapter 20

"I can't believe that blacks were treated that way, that is so cruel," Barbara said as they headed back home.

Not replying to her comment, Ire kept on driving.

"Did I say something wrong?"

"No," Ire replied harshly.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what I did wrong, but I'm sorry," Barbara said with a sigh.

"Don't you get it," Ire said, a little pissed at how nice she was to him despite the harsh replies he gives her.

"What do you mean?"

"Your people did this to us," Ire said in anger as he stopped the car.

"Well, that was history," Barbara said slowly.

"History? You got to be kidding me," Ire said with a scoff.
"You're just like them, you don't care about the pain you British people put us through."

"I didn't think of it -"

"Shut up. Just shut up, I hate you so much, your kinds disgust me. I can't believe that my fellow Nigerians treat you like some goddess, when your people did a lot of damage to us," Ire spat as he got out of the car.

Tears rolled down her face as she saw the pain and anger in his eyes. He hates her, and nothing is going to change that. Quickly, she wiped the tears off her face as she looked at Ire walk away from the car. Things were already hard for her in London, but it just got a lot worse.

"I wish Folakemi was here," Barbara mutted to herself.

After some minutes, Ire got into the car as he looked at Barbara from the rearview mirror. She had puffy eyes, he did hurt her, and that made him mad.

"Just drop me at Simisola's street, please. I promise I won't see you anymore," Barbara said flatly.

With a sigh, he started the car and headed for the road. He couldn't tell her he was sorry, he didn't want her in his life. He just wanted his family back.

"It's too late. I'll take you first thing tomorrow morning," Ire said.

"You said it yourself, you can't share a room with a stranger."

***

"Ire! Where have you been? I was so worried," Abike said with concern when she saw her son enter the house.

"I'm sorry for making you worry," Ire said dryly.

"Don't scare me again. I thought I lost you," Abike said with relief.

Holding his mother's hands, Ire said to Abike softly, "I won't leave you. I promise."

"I love you so much. Please, I can't mourn another person," Abike said as her eyes turned glassy.
"Where did you go?"

"I worked over night, I needed more money," Ire said with a yawn.

"You must be tired, let me make your food, then you can rest," Abike offered.

"Don't bother, I want to sleep," Ire said tiredly.

"Okay. You need to sleep, you look worn out," Abike said in understanding.

It wasn't driving overnight that made Ire so tired. It was Barbara, he had been thinking about her after he dropped her. He felt sorry for himself, he didn't want to see the good in her.

***

"Folakemi, where are you?" Barbara called out as she searched the rooms.

As she searched the whole house, she couldn't find Folakemi anywhere. Maybe she went to visit her mother, Barbara thought. Feeling lonely, Barbara decided to walk down the street.