Chapter 27

All blood drained out of her body as she watched her father and brother stand in front of her house. Things were already bad enough and now, it was going to get worse.

"What are you doing here?" Barbara stuttered, still in shock.

Looking at the state of the house, John shook his head in disappointment at how lowly his daughter could live. This wasn't what he was expecting, he was going to bring her home, whether she likes it or not.

"I couldn't expect less," John stated as he looked at his daughter with a frown.

" I don't care about what you think," Barbara said as she folded her arms in front of her chest.

"These Nigerians never learn," John said  before he looked at Jonathan with a frown, "they are still foolish."

"Can we go inside?" Barbara said angrily as she opened the door to the house.

Barbara couldn't take it anymore, John was pain in the neck. How can she forgive a monster like him when all he sees in her is disappointment? Slowly, she walked into her room to change into something better.

"Father, we can't stay more than a week in this place," Barbara heard Jonathan tell his father.

"We're going to take time in persuading your sister, she isn't an easy going person," John said to Jonathan, almost in a whisper.

"Nigeria is clearly not good for her, she has gotten thinner and she looks so frail."

"Strangely, she looks wiser, her eyes can't betray," John said to himself.

Tired of hearing them talk, Barbara decided to go in.

"I don't have anything here, so let's go and eat," Barbara announced as she walked in asif nothing happened.

"You're insane, so you want me to eat their food," Jonathan spat as he was referring to Nigerians.

"Let's go," John said as he got up on his feet.

"Father, you can't possibly eat their food, who know what things they put in their food."

"I've been eating their food for months and I'm not dead," Barbara retorted angrily.

"Jonathan, get up," John said impatiently.

***

"My oyinbo pepper, it's been a long time. How are you doing?" Dunni asked with a warm smile.

"I'm good, how about you?" Barbara asked as she settled on a chair.

Noticing the people beside Barbara, Dunni smiled at Jonathan, who looked less interested in anything that was going on.

"I'm good. Who are these people?"

"Oh! These are my family members, they came to Nigeria to see me," Barbara said as she looked at John and Jonathan.

"That's nice," Dunni commented as she looked at Jonathan.

"Can you give us the usual please?" Barbara asked with a smile.

"Oh, three plates of amala and gbegiri," Dunni said as she sashayed her way into the kitchen.

"This place is disgusting. How can you eat in a place that isn't hygienic," Jonathan said with a snort.

"Please, do me a favour and don't touch the food," Barbara said angrily.

Minutes later, Dunni dropped the plates of food alongside omisowo.

"Thank you," Barbara said as she washed her hands before digging into the food.

"No spoons?" Jonathan asked as he watched Barbara in bewilderment. "This is outrageous."