Chapter 22

It has been two days since Barbara last saw Folakemi. It has been very hard for her not to think of all the horrible possibilities. Maybe she was actually a liar, raped or worse, killed. They were all terrifying thoughts, she didn't know who she could ask help from. The only person that she thought of was really mad at her. If anything bad happens to Folakemi, Barbara wouldn't forgive herself.

After deciding on who to meet, Barbara left the house as she headed for the car park.

***

Immediately she got to the car park, Barbara recognized the two friends that were with Ire the day she had a fight with him. Taking a deep breath, Barbara walked up to them.

"Our oyinbo pepper," Chinedu greeted with a smile on his face when he saw her.

"Hello, I came here to ask for a favour," Barbara said.

"What is the problem?" Tobi asked with concern.

"Please do you know where I can get Ire?"

"That would be hard," Chinedu said slowly as he looked at Tobi.

"It's not what you think. We would love to help but I don't think Ire would want us to tell you where he lives," Tobi said.

"I would do anything, please it's urgent," Barbara said desperately.

"He said he's not well, so he's staying at home," Chinedu said to Barbara with a sad smile.

"Is he really sick?" Barbara asked in worry as she kept shaking her legs nervously.

"I don't know but I think it's because-"

"Would you like to know his address?" Tobi asked purposely cutting Chinedu off.

"Yes, I'd love that," Barbara said pleased.

***

"Ire!" Barbara called out as she knocked on the door.

"Yes," Ire said as he opened the door. "Why are you here?" Ire asked angrily when he saw Barbara at the door.

"I came here to ask for a favour," Barbara said to him.

Dragging her away from the house, Ire took her down the street.

"I don't want to see you here, don't ever come here if you know what's good for you," Ire said with a groan before looking away.

"I'm sorry," Barbara apologized as she looked down at her feet.

"Can you leave this place, don't you have better things to do?"

"It's Folakemi, it's been two days since I last saw her."

"Maybe she just wants to stay away from you for awhile," Ire said with a shrug.

"No. This is different, she has been behaving strange lately," Barbara said with a frown.

"See. I don't know her whereabouts or anything. Why don't you meet someone else, I bet they would be glad to assist you," Ire said before walking past her.

Immediately Ire walked past her, Barbara held his hands before she started to cry.

"I really need your help, just this once," Barbara pleaded amidst tears.

Ire was in a dilemma as he looked at Barbara and said something under his breath.

"Where do you think she would be right now?" Ire asked.

"I honestly don't have a clue. Folakemi is a person who choose not to talk about her life," Barbara said. "And when she was raped, it was a little strange that she got over it quickly, like it was normal."