Chapter 25

"How could you do this to me Ire? Despite all what I told you," Abike said in dismay as she shook her head.

"It's not what you think," Ire said with a sigh.

Shaking her head vigorously, Abike kept muttering something under her breath as she looked at Ire in disappointment.

"Maami," Ire called.

"Don't call me, you're just like Titi," Abike said with a frown.

"What do you mean?" Ire called.

"You're going to fall in love with her just like Titi did, and you'll regret it. I thought you were smarter than that."

"Why are you like this, does it look like I'm in love with her?" Ire asked angrily.

With a dry laugh, Abike shook her head at Ire's statement. "Let's watch and see."

"I can't believe you don't trust your son, I would never do anything to hurt you,"Ire said as he ran his hand through his scanty hair.

"I'm a mother who knows her son very well. If you continue like this, you're going to fall in love with her," Abike said as she held her son's hands affectionately.
"A mother's love is the greatest thing, I know what's best for you," Abike added as she looked at her son.

"She was very close to Folakemi, that's why she came here. She needed some answers," Ire finally said when he took a deep breath.

"Was she the one Folakemi was talking about?" Abike said to herself.

"Talking about what?"

"Don't worry my son, it's nothing," Abike said with a forced smile.

Slowly, Ire got up on his feet as he walked towards the window. Holding unto the window tightly, Ire looked outside to see the busy street, which was bustling with people selling different things.

"Some people just have a good life, while some don't," Ire said when he turned to look at his mother.

"You're the only one I've left. I don't want to lose you," Abike said sadly.

"Who in the world would do that to me? Why did the person kill Folakemi?" Ire asked no one in particular as he looked outside the window.
"I thought things were going to get better."

"Don't say that," Abike said when she walked up to him.

"I've lost almost everything that matters to me," Ire said angrily. "I don't think I can take this anymore."

"You, my son can do it. God can't give you a burden you can't take," Abike said when she put Ire in her arms.

Slowly, she patted his back as she said encouraging words to him.

"I love you so much," Ire said with a smile.

"Not as much as I do. Even if everyone thinks that you're a murderer, I'll always believe in you," Abike said as she pecked him on his forehead.

"Today is Ogunyemi's birthday," Ire said dejectedly.

"I know, I just didn't want to remind you, so you won't feel bad," Abike said.

"At times, I dream about him. He's like a brother and a father to me," Ire said sadly as he stared at one spot on the floor.

"What does he say to you in your dreams?"

"He tells me that I should hold on for a little while. He also said that you should not worry, that they're both safe," Ire said with a smile.

"And Ogunkanmi?"