Chapter 9

A/N: To all readers, I apologise if you get annoyed while reading this chapter. You'll understand what I'm trying to say when you read this chapter, I don't intend to hurt or judge anybody. Please, I don't want negative criticism from anyone.

"Your wife had a miscarriage, I'm sorry for your loss", Fadeke said with her head down.

"What!" Ogunkanmi exclaimed.

Without any further explanation, Ogunkanmi began to pace the room.

"Are you alright?" Fadeke asked with concern.

Still no reply. Quickly, Ogunkanmi​ went over to Abike's side. Fustrated, he shook ​his head vigorously.

"E ma binu", Fadeke said with sympathy.
"Do not be angry".

"Thank you very much for everything, you may take your leave", Ogunkanmi said with a sigh.

***

"Daddy, is maami okay?" Ire asked after greeting Ogunkanmi.

"She's still very weak", Ogunkanmi replied.

Wanting to know what happened between his father and the woman that took care of his mother, Ire asked his father about the fight.

"What were you were arguing with the woman that helped maami?"

"Don't worry about it", Ogunkanmi said as he headed for the door.

***

Shrugging his shoulders. Ire headed for Abike's room. When he saw her in an uncomfortable position, he went to get water in the bowl and a clean fabric. After dipping the rag into the water, he squeezed out excess water and placed the wet clothe on her forehead.

"Don't fall sick", Ire muttered to himself.

"Ire! Ire! Where are you?' Ogunyemi shouted.

Coming out of the room in a rush, Ire ran towards Ogunyemi's direction.

"I'm right here, what is the matter?" Ire asked in alarm.

"What happened to maami? Where's she?" Ogunyemi asked breathlessly.

"She had a fight with Kunle's mother", Ire answered with a frown on his face.

"What do you mean by that", Ogunyemi asked dropping his belongings.

"We found our dog dead in front of Kunle's house. It led to a serious argument and then Kunle's mother started to kick Abike's stomach", Ire said with tears welled up in his eyes.

Looking at the room Abike is in, Ogunyemi sighed and shook is head in dismay.

"Why are you still staying in the house?" Ire asked in disgust.

Confused at the silly question, Ogunkanmi looked up and asked, " What do you mean by that?"

"I just told you that maami was kicked on the stomach and you're sitting here as if nothing happened", Ire shouted.

"We can't do anything to them, you know Kunle's mother is the head of the village".
"We can't help it", Ogunyemi said sadly.

Fustrated at the ridiculous reply. Ire stamped his foot on the ground. Clenching his fist, he started to sob.

"Is that why the village people treated my mother in a harsh way. That's why she went through a lot of suffering because she is not married to the head of the village, such a shame", Ire said regretfully.

"How did you know that?" Ire asked in shock.

"I thought you were my brother, why didn't you tell me? If it were to be your mother, would you take that?" Ire asked in anger.