28. Birthday Surprise (Part 1)

I met Kevin and Kimberly in town at a small restaurant for lunch. Kimberly had been wanting to meet up for some time now so we made a lunch date. I had a half day at work today so I would be heading home right after.

It was cute to see them bickering. I always admired the way siblings interacted and sometimes wished I had one of my own but I eventually got used to it. Their bickering broke through my thoughts when I heard something about a birthday

"Mom says she's throwing you a party for your birthday so good luck with convincing her otherwise"

"I told her I don't want one" Kevin whined "I'm too busy to waste time on birthday parties"

"When you put it that way... sounds like you're a spoilt ten year old kid"

"A cute spoilt ten year old" I added "and what's this I'm hearing about your birthday. In fact why is it that I don't know when your birthday is?"

"Well it's not for your lack of trying" he sighed "You don't know because it's not necessary"

Kimberly gave him a disapproving look "Seriously. You never told her" she turned to me shaking her head "It's this weekend"

"This weekend!" I exclaimed

He gave me a sheepish look "Again... it's not necessary"

"Kevin it's your birthday" I chided

"Yeah and I don't like celebrating it-"

"But mom makes him a huge birthday party every single year regardless of what he says" Kimberly cut in

"This year I'm putting my foot down. I don't feel like getting dressed up just to say hi to people all night"

"You're not helping your ten year old situation"

"But she loves it. Don't take this away from her"

He might have not liked celebrating his birthday but not telling me was inconsiderate of him. Now I had to think of something to get him before the coming weekend. I started combing through my mind for the perfect gift but couldn't think of any. I sighed throwing my head back. This was going to be hard

"I can't believe you didn't tell me" I mumbled as Kimberly left to pick up a phone call

"It's no big deal"

"I still deserved to know. It's your birthday for crying out loud besides who doesn't like to celebrate their birthday?"

"I don't so don't worry about it" He assured me "Mom just never listens"

"Fine"

After sulking the rest of the lunch I went back home. Hannah was lying down on the couch watching TV but quickly sat up when she saw me. We were talking now but it's not as if I stayed mad for long. After Kevin talked to me that night I decided to brush the issue off because as much as I would have wanted them to tell me, it was their decision.

I wasn't happy about it but there was nothing I could do

"Hey" she greeted "How did the lunch go?"

"Hey" I smiled going to sit down next to her "It was great. Well except for the part where I found out that Kevin's birthday is this weekend"

"How did you not know?"

"He never told me. He always found a way of brushing it off or changing the subject till I forgot and now he says it's no big deal"

"But you still want to get him something..."

"Well daah... how can I not? It doesn't matter. I'll think of something. What are you watching?"