32. The Talk

After staring at my laptop for approximately the tenth time I decided it was time to call my Mother. She had been trying to call me but I kept ignoring her calls. I didn't want to talk to her until I was ready just in case I ended up saying something I didn't mean in the heat of the moment.

She didn't pick up the first time and in all honesty I was hoping she wouldn't pick up the second time either because I didn't think I was ready to know the truth, but life had it's own plans.

"Hey sweetheart"

"Hey Mom"

Her eyes looked red and it seemed like she hadn't gotten enough sleep. Her hair was messily tied up and she looked kind of tired

"Did you get enough sleep?"

"How could I sleep when my baby is upset with me"

"I'm not upset" I said feeling guilty

She shook her head "That's not how you sounded the last time we talked"

"I know. I'm sorry I yelled at you... I was just..." I sighed "For luck of a better term upset but now I want to know what happened"

"Are you sure?"

"I'm not actually. I mean who wants to find out that the Father they love so much wasn't a saint but it's for the best"

"Ok" she took a deep breath and when she spoke again her voice was full of emotion "Your Father and I were very young when we had you. I was still in highschool when I got pregnant but you already knew that"

Yes I did. It was one of the reason's my Mother always kept a tight leash on me when it came to dating. She never approved of my dates and by all means put the fear of God into me just in case the thought of having sex ever crossed my mind

"So honey, I heard you're going on a date today"

"How did you know?" I asked feeling shocked

"Margaret told me honey. She overheard you and Hannah talking on the phone" She placed the bowl of pasta with some burnt tomatoes in it infront of me "So why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't think it was a big deal" I said twirling my pasta with my fork

"Ofcourse it is honey" she smiled "Do you have any plans of having sex with him"

"Mom" I squealed "This is why I didn't tell you and one of the reasons why I don't bother dating"

"I'm just looking out for you baby" she paused "So do you?"

"No Mom, it's our first date"

"Do you plan on doing it on the second?"

"No Mom" I sighed in frustration "I don't"

"Good because the last thing you need is to get pregnant amd have to drop out of school to take care of a child that neither of you are ready for"

"There's protection Mom"

"That's the exact same thing we thought honey and look what I have sixteen years later. We were lucky both our parents were willing to help us raise you... you my baby have a Mother who has no intention of raising any grandchildren just yet"

I remember that moment and many more like it was just yesterday.

"Your grand parents helped us take care of you when we went to college. Our parents wanted us married before we went to college so we got married shortly after which was a little weird because we were both very young. Boys always found it weird when they asked me out and I told them I was married" she laughed "Anyways your dad and I moved in together once we finished college, that's when you came to live with the both of us"