31. Leroy

After Charlotte and Vanessa left, I was left alone with my thoughts. I wasn't sure if Hannah was home but I wanted to talk to her.

I rushed up to my room to make a video call to my Mom. Luckily she picked up after a few rings

"Hey sweetheart, twice in one day. You must really miss me"

I laughed but it sounded forced even to my own ears

"Is that little friend of yours still there?"

"No she just left with her Mom"

"It's good they resolved their issue"

"Yeah... Mom" I hesitated "What happened between you and Dad?"

I could see that my question caught her off guard but she forced a smile "W-what do you mean?"

"I mean" I paused trying to come up with the best way to phrase it "I just found out that I supposedly have a half sister I never knew about so..." I shrugged "I wanted to find out if anything happened between you and Dad"

"Who told you that?"

"Does it matter?" I sighed "The girl you spoke to this morning and her Mother. I just need you to tell me that it's not true so that I can forget about it"

She licked her lips nervously as if looking for something to say while I patiently waited for her to disregard the issue. But as time ticked by the truth of the matter started to sink in

"Mom"

"I can explain-"

"Why didn't you tell me about this?"

"I can't believe she actually came to your place and told you this"

"Atleast she actually told me. When were you planning on telling me the truth Mom?"

"It wasn't relevant. It doesn't change anything"

Her response did nothing but fuel my anger "Ofcourse it does. Vanessa is younger than me Mom and she has a younger sister. I don't have to spell it out for you because it's pretty obvious. How could you keep something like this from me?"

"I was only trying to protect you"

"I'm not an infant Mom. I deserved to know what my Father was. I didn't need you painting a picture of a happy family when we weren't... not for all these years"

"We were happy-"

"He cheated. He literally started another family. That's far from being happy"

"I-"

I shut the laptop before she could finish her sentence and put it away. I sat on my bed looking around my room and my eyes focused on a picture of my parents and I on the drawer next to my bed. I started to wonder if there was sadness behind the smiles they had in the picture. I being the infant had been oblivious to what was going on around me

I really needed someone to talk to so I headed over to Hannah's room. I knocked and opened the door when I didn't get a response from her.

Her room was empty which meant I was once again alone in the house. I thought of calling Kevin but with his mood lately I didn't feel like confiding in him so I decided to do the next best thing... sleep

Waking up to go for work the next day was difficult but I managed. The whole day after that was a drag and I couldn't wait to just go back home and lie down.

The day was nearly coming to an end and the kids were excited when their parents started showing up. I was happy when the last kid left the class. Soon after Rachel and I started preparing for the next day.