30. Three Letters

세 글자

글자

Three in the morning seemed to be the time June's eyes dared not to close.

Almost as if programmed, her system would spike up, the energy rise up to an insane level whenever the sun would hide its rays. And it looked like tonight's going to be another on and off fight with the daylight - will she be able to stay awake long enough to see it?

The answer was soon given by the phone buzzing right next to her ear, with an unknown caller ID popping right across the screen.

''Hello?'' She answered, rubbing away the sleep from her eyelids.

''June?''

Her eyebrows came together in confusion when she realized to whom the voice belonged to. It was soft and calm, almost melodic-like.

''Jimin?'' Flipping up the covers, she pushed herself up.

It was then, when her mind wondered how he managed to get a hold of her number in the first place, but the mystery was quickly solved when the possibility of Jimin asking Namjoon about it, came into the picture.

''It's three in the morning, what in the world could you possibly want from me?''

''A date.''

What? Did she hear that right? Or was it perhaps disguised by the loud butterflies swarming the insides of her body?

''Maybe we can have lunch together. There's this really awesome place where they serve some of the best food I've ever tried. Or, if you'd like to, we can take a walk in the park instead.''

June couldn't see him through the screen of her phone but she could've sworn that he was either waving with his hands in the air or sweating buckets with a sudden warmth flushing beneath his cheeks.

''Only if you're free of course! I wouldn't want to interrupt any of the plans you made for the day.'' 

He sounded timid, almost as if he was regretting the decision he's made to call June because she was not saying a word back to him.

But to ease his racing thoughts, the only thing she needed to do was give a simple answer, a word containing not more than three letters of the alphabet but it all seemed too good to be true.

''I understand if you don't want to, and if you're busy, maybe we can schedule another day-''

Figuring out that she was probably overanalyzing things once again, June swallowed to moisten her throat and with a small inhale managed to push aside the racing thoughts and what if's just for a bit. 

''Yes.''

There it was.

''Wait. What?''

''I said yes.'' She smiled. ''I'll go on that date with you.''

And with a small laugh breathed into the phone, Jimin ended the call with a soft and simple, ''O-okay.''