41. The Bridge

(Anxiety and depression trigger warning. Read at your own discretion.)

다리

다리

'The wind is really nice', said the phrase on the handrail.

And for some reason it was. Even in November, the usual annoying, cold wind was still in sync with the city lights and the flowing river beneath her feet.

'Did you know gorillas all have blood type B?'

June softly giggled.

It was 2 in the am, and she was walking up and down the bridge, mind sinking and overthinking. Something she hasn't done in a long while, not since the day Jimin saved her from the upcoming train.

'Doesn't it feel good to be outside walking on a bridge?'

Fingers tracing the bridge's handrail, she inhaled the thin and crisp air, her view adjusting to surroundings but a blur of tears stood in the way. She wished she knew why her feet were stomping against the cold pavement coated in a hoar-like carpet. But like every other time her brain refused to give her rest, the question always remained why.

Another message bore a standard greeting,'Have you eaten yet?'

And she hasn't.

But really, she hasn't been hungry for the past couple of days.

A few cars drove by, their lights blinding June for a split second until all that was left to hear was the cold wind blowing, the river flowing, her choppy breathing and her heart slowly beating. Maybe she should've called her mom before all of this happens, to make sure she's okay, to tell her she loves her always and forever.

'Worries are nothing.'

She acknowledged the phrase with nothing but a sneer while looking down at the river, thinking of what worries really seemed to be - are they made of moving towns, attending new schools, starting a new life, or simply figuring out what to do?

Are worries the regret June felt, knowing that she should've taken up that piano class she'd been thinking about for months, learn a new language or simply finish the drawing of Jimin collecting dust on the very top of her desk?

But she never did any of it, just how she didn't count to ten before planning to jump in water because for some reason she forgot the numbers, forgot how to breathe and everything rolled in a slow-motion film.

''Don't be stupid, you don't know how to swim.''

Taehyung?

Another car drove by, sending vibrations through the ground.

''I thought we would never meet on this bridge.'' The boy stood there just inches away from her. With his hands laid against the handrail, he was staring down at the water, mentally counting the meters between himself and the very bottom.