Girl Meets Popular

"Look what's happening, look what's coming!" Riley exclaimed. "What's coming crazy?" Maya asked. "Invitations to the seventh-grade parties. It's begun, we could be party girls and boy, I'm going to need a party girl walk." Riley said. She does this crazy walk and ends by our lockers. "Yeah, that's not it." Maya said.

"You know there's going to be boys at these parties, but not just any boys. No opposite sex boys, they're the best kind." Riley told us. "Hey, I'm an opposite sex boy." I said. "Yeah you sound ready for this." Maya commented sarcastically. "Oh I am and I may just be the first person who crosses over from our side of the room to the-" Riley started. "Nah it's going to be me." I said while Riley said, "Nah it's going to be you."

"You know what pretty boy hipster is handing out invitations to? Don't ya?"She said nudging Maya's arm. "A party." She said nudging her back. "Membership cards to the popular cards." Riley said. "Why can't you just let it be a party?" I asked. "Because this is it, right here this is where you two go one way and I go the other way. You two get invites and you marry pretty boy hipster and you find some pretty girl and I end up marrying Anthony Delveccio and we buy things in bulk." Riley said.

Riley sighed. "You two are going to be popular, I'm not. Good for you two." Riley started stroking our hair. "Good girl, Good boy, bye bye Maya and Kayden. Bye bye." Riley said hugging us and started crying.

Riley was given an invitation from Pretty-Boy Hipster. Riley just pushed the envelope to me and I pushed it towards Maya. Pretty-Boy Hipster put the invitation back in front of Riley.

"Yay! For me!" Riley cheered. "Maya, Kayden I know you two didn't get one, but is it okay that I'm really happy?" She asked. "You go get 'em tiger." Maya told her. Riley squealed and jumped before doing her walk out of the hallway. "We love you, but," I started. "You're a lot of work." Maya finished. We mimicked Riley's walk all the way down the hallway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Riley walked up to dad's desk and slammed the invitation down. "Boom." She shouted. Dad picked up the invitation and looked at it. "You got invited to something?" He asked. "So much for genetics baby." Riley said. "Oh seventh grade party. Yep, I didn't get invited to a whole lot of these." Dad admitted. "Good for you, I'm proud of you. Boy, girl party?" Dad questioned. "Yep." Riley answered. "You can't go." They both said and I mouthed.

"May we approach?" Maya asked. "Hurry please." They said in unison. Maya and I got up. "We're gonna keep your young'un out of trouble sir." Maya told him. "Hart you are trouble and when Kayden doesn't stop you enough." Dad told us. "Why would I want my young'un anywhere near the same party you two are going to be at?" He asked. "You wouldn't." I said. "Say it, you know you wanna say it." Maya said.

"You can't go if Maya and Kayden are invited." Dad told us. Maya and I pointed at Riley. "Maya and Kayden are not invited." Riley told Dad. "Then you may go." I told Riley. "Thank you daddies." Riley said. "Alright good day everybody class dismissed." Maya said. Everyone got up. "Sit down!" Dad said. "Sit down!" Maya, Riley and I said. Everyone sat down in their seats.

"So there's this guy, Damocles, who really, really wants to be king. One day he gets an invitation to come sit on the throne and actually hang with royalty." Dad said. "No." Riley exclaimed. "Sup Riles." Maya said. "Pops lesson hitting a little close to home?" I asked. "Nope what he's saying has nothing to do with me. Yes I've been invited to hang with middle school royalty, but nothing bad could happen." Riley explained. "I'm sure you're right. Farkle!" Dad said.

"When Damocles sat on the throne he noticed at sword hanging over it by a single tiny thread." Farkle said. "Kayden." Dad said. "Be careful what you which for." I said. "Why?" Dad asked. "Being what other people want you to be is just a sword hanging over your head." I explained. "Good." Dad said. "Riley." He called out. "Nothing to do with me." Riley said.