Girl Meets Flaws

"Graduation and awards night is coming up. I am very proud of this class. Several of you will be recognized for your achievements throughout the year." Dad told us. Maya stood up. "Awards are a scam, a girl like me never had a chance Matthews, never had a chance." Maya told him. Maya looked down at me and Riley. "Alright we'll do it," Riley started. "But it's ridiculous." I said and then we stood up. "It's a scam Matthews, she never had a chance." Riley and I said. "Maya will be receiving the Griff Hawkins Totally Cool Award." Dad Announced. The class clapped for Maya as she sat back down. "Maya, you just found out you won the totally cool award and you just sit there." Riley said. Maya looked at her. "Oh you're being cool. Why won't you rub off on me?" Riley asked. "That's not how that works baby sister." I replied, wrapping my arm around her shoulder.

"Kayden will be receiving the John Quincy Adams Academic Achievement, Music Excellence award, Best Actor Award, and the John Quincy Adams Compassion Award." Dad said proudly. I pointed a finger at myself with a confused expression. "Yes, you." Dad replied with a smile on his face. With a surprised expression I got up as the class clapped for me. "Stop it." I said jokingly and the clapping ceased. "Keep going." I said and once again started clapping for me. I sat down and let Dad finish announcing the award winners. "And our two finalist for the scholar athlete award are Lucas Friar," Dad started, pausing as we clapped for Lucas. "And Billy Ross." He finished. "I hope you're ready for some competition dude." Billy told Lucas. "Oh you know how I hate competition." Lucas replied. They laughed with each, then they glared at each, then smiled at each other.

"Hey golden boys you want to hop down from your cloud of awesomeness? You're making us normals feel bad." Maya told Billy and Lucas. "Yeah right after our hand shake of awesomeness." Billy replied. Lucas and Billy got up and did their "handshake of awesomeness". "Every day." Maya. "We should have their own handshake of awesomeness." Riley said to Maya and I. "What would it be?" I asked. All three of us crossed our legs and whipped our hair. "Stop it." We said in unison.

"Farkle, you are being awarded the Joseph T. R. Epstein Confidence Award. Congratulations." Dad said. We all turned to where Farkle's desk was there sat a machine in his absence. "Farkle?" I questioned. "Farkle can't come to his desk right now. If you have a question for Farkle say one, a comment say two, billing questions three." Farkle's voice was heard saying from the machine.

"One. Where are you?" Dad asked. "You have selected three." Farkle said. "No I said one." Dad corrected. "Sorry we are experiencing unusually high call volume. Your call will be answered in approximately," Farkle started. "35." A voice finished. "Minutes." Farkle said before music started to play. "Representative." Dad shouted.

"What is this Farkle's never missed a class in his life?" Dad asked.The bell rings, everyone stands up and exits except Maya and Riley. Riley walks up to Dad. "Yes?" Dad asked. "Everybody's getting an award, but me." Riley said. "What good is having you as my teacher if the fix ain't in?" "I'm sorry Riley." Dad apologized. "Riley, you don't need a trophy to feel good about yourself." Maya told her. "Yes I do sometimes I feel kind of invisible." Riley admitted. "Sometimes you want to be invisible Riley. Believe me." Farkle said.

*********

"I looked in the library. He's not there." Lucas said entering the hallway. We were all looking for Farkle. "I checked the science lab and he's not there either. Where could he be?" I asked. "Hey guys I checked the ball field no Farkle." Billy told us as he walked over to us. "You looked on the baseball field for Farkle. Billy are you even trying?" Maya asked. "Not really." He answered, walking away.

Janitor Harley opened the door and walked out with Farkle. "Trouble lad I now release you to the hands of your caring friends 'cause they have time for this." Harley said, walking back into the janitor's closet. "You wanna tell us what's going on here buddy?" Lucas asked. "Are you my buddy?" Farkle asked. "What?" Lucas questioned. "Spill it Farkle." Maya told Farkle.