Girl Meets The New World

"How long are we avoiding this?" I asked my sister. "Not avoiding nothing. Just life moving on beyond that thing that happened between me and Lucas." Riley replied. Maya begin making kissing noises. "I know what it was, you do not have to fish-face at me." Riley told her. "Maya and Kayden, other things are happening. Life got over. Why can't you?" She asked us.
"Life isn't over it. Haven't you noticed everything stopped? Nothing is happening" Maya said. "Everything's happening!" Riley exclaimed. "Nothing is happening and nothing ever will until we talk about it."I said.
Oh, that's the talk of a kook." Riley told me. We sat In silence until Farkle greeted us through the window.
"Ladies. Best Friend."He greeted. "Yay!" Riley cheered, and hugged Farkle. "Well that's settled then." Farkle said. "Not that I'm disappointed to see you but why are you here, Farkle?" I asked. "I've got two tickets to a concert, but there's four of us. So, who do I take?" Farkle asked. Riley turned to us. "You see, that right there is a very original situation. There will be many twist and turns that no one will see coming." Riley told us. "I like the way you hugged me, Riley. I'm taking you." Farkle told her before he left. "I did not see that coming." Riley told us.
"So we're back. Subway car, you lock eyes, you fall into his lap, you grab Lucas by the face. You start moving toward him and...." Maya said, but was interrupted as Mom and Dad entered Riley's room. "Riley! Kayden!" Dad said. "Yay!" Riley cheered. "Did Kayden and I do something? Are we grounded? Does she have to leave and he have to go to his room. You have to leave." She said to Maya. "And you have to go to your room." She told me.
"No we're glad you three are here. We need you to babysit Auggie." Mom said. "They need us to babysit Auggie." Riley repeated. "Been there done that." Maya said. "Things could happen twice." Riley told us. "Unless it's an emergency, we don't want to hear from you." Mom told us. "What could happen? I'll tell ya. We'll put too much soap in the washing machine, and then we'll find a puppy and say, "can we keep him?" And then his owner will show up. It'll be this hot guy that Maya will totally like." Riley said. "Yay!" Maya cheered. "But then he will move away because Maya can never be happy." Riley continued. "Boo!" Maya booed. "Then Mason will come and him and Kayden will watch a movie while Kayden lays in his arms." Riley continued. "I like where this is going. Keep going." I started, dreamily. "I don't. Please stop." Dad said. "But then Dad will run in and chase him out the window." Riley said. "Even in my fantasies, you embarrass me." I said to Dad. "It's my job." dad said, shrugging his shoulder.
"You see, we have a lot going on today." Riley said. "Tomorrow." Dad said. "Huh?" Riley questioned. "Yeah, we need you to babysit tomorrow." Mom said. "Today we got nothing." Dad told us before they left the room. "So, you got Lucas by the face and..." I started, but was interrupted by Auggie. "Help me!" he said. Riley got up and ran over to our brother and picked him up. "Yay! Auggie do you have any problems that I can help you with?" Riley asked.
"Well, I made a new friend at school. What if mom doesn't like him? What if she picks him up and puts him in the hallway? Like Ava! What if no one is ever good enough for mommy's little boy?" Auggie asked. "This is a thing." She told Maya and I. "Eh, not a whole thing. We check back on this twice tops." Maya replied, crossing her legs. "I would be involved in it." Riley told her. "It completely a Mom thing." I told her. "Yeah, scram." Riley told Auggie. "Mom?" Auggie said, as he left the room.
"So that's everybody we know, huh?" Riley asked. "Not quite, you got two more friends that have a problem you could get involved in." Maya told her. "I do? Who?" Riley asked. Maya and I raised our hands. "Oy yeah. My troubled, misunderstood friend and my extremely smart and confused brother. People love your problems. You're a mess!" Riley exclaimed. "Thanks." Maya thanked. "Wow, just what I wanted to hear." I said, sarcastically. "Our problem is that we have a best friend who doesn't want to talk about the most important thing going on in her life, and we don't know what to do." Maya said. "Can you help us please?" I asked.
"I kissed Lucas." Riley finally admitted. "You don't say." I said. "What happens now?" Riley asked us.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The new world." Dad said, starting his lesson for the day. "People who lived their whole lives in a certain place travel to a new land of new feelings, and new opportunities. Having no idea how to behave in this brand new society." "Lucas, what did you tell him?" Riley asked. "Nothing, I am also uncomfortable." Lucas said.
"Wait, Mr. Matthews doesn't know Riley kissed Lucas?" Mason asked quietly. "No." I answered, with a smile. "So everything he says is making them uncomfortable?" Farkle asked. "Uh-huh." Maya answered. "Shall we take advantage of this?" Mason asked. "I don't see how we couldn't." I replied. "I will begin." Farkle said. "So, Mr. Matthews, tell me, after you've had the courage to close your eyes and take the face of the new world in you trembling hands..." He started.
"What are you trying to say, Farkle?" Dad asked. "Are you supposed to be a couple next or what?" Farkle asked. "Huh?" dad questioned. "What?" Riley asked. "Huh?" Lucas questioned. "Oh you don't understand my question? Perhaps my dear friend miss Maya Penelope Hart could help me out." Farkle said. "Penelope." Sarah said.  "Farkle." Maya said. "It came out. It just came out. It came out. It just came out." Farkle said.
"Penelope?" Lucas questioned. Maya liked at Lucas. "Really, Huckleberry? You want to play with me right now?" Maya asked him. "No." he answered. "Cause you've done quite enough, haven't you?" Maya asked and she did a little kiss. "Maya." Lucas said. "Maya." Riley said. Dad looked at me. "You'll figure out soon enough but right now I'm enjoying this." I said. "Mr. Matthews, I think what Farkle is trying to say is once you've kissed..." Maya said. "Yeep!" Riley exclaimed. "...the shores of this new world I bet your friends from the old world would want to hear about how the new world is, and if you don't tell them, well that's just selfish." Maya said.
"What are you trying to say, Penelope?" Dad asked Maya. "Are you supposed to be a couple next, or what?" Maya asked. "Alright, what's going on here, guys?" dad asked walking in front of us. "Nothing! Could we just please, for once, read from the book?" Riley asked before she opened the book. "The boy and the girl had no idea of the changes they would soon be facing. Everything was different including their own bodies..." Riley stopped reading. "What the..." "You're reading your health book." I told her. "Word of warning page 73. I don't understand. It makes no sense. It looks impossible." Farkle said.
"Riley, what is going on here?" Dad asked Riley. "Farkle kissed my hand." Maya said. "You did?" dad asked. "It was glorious." Farkle replied. "It was. I went home and questioned everything." Maya said. "Okay, Kayden where were you?" dad asked me. "With Mason." I told him. "What were you doing?" he asked. "Nothing to be honest, we weren't even dating at the time." I told him. "Okay." He said. "Riley, where were you while all of this hand kissing was going on?" Dad asked her. "Nowhere, with no one doin' nothing with nobody." Riley answered nervously.
Dad looked at her before he moved and went to Lucas. Lucas smiled at him before leaving out of the room. Dad came back to Riley and looked at her again. "Auggie now." Riley said. "I don't see where else we could go." Maya replied.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was standing in the hallway with Riley and Maya. After I closed my locker a crowd of girls were standing behind us. "Everybody stop looking at me." Riley told them. "Tell us." Sarah ordered. "I don't kiss and tell." Riley retorted. "Did you kiss?" Darby asked. "Yes." Riley answered. "Tell." Darby ordered. "And take your time." Sarah added. "Nothing happened. Back me up, Maya." Riley said. Maya turned around and wrapped her arms around herself like she was making out with someone.  "That inaccurate. Kay, please help me." Riley begged. I made fish lips and a kissing noise. "Yeah, that's pretty good." Riley said.
"So are you guys boyfriend and girlfriend now?" Sarah asked. "What are ya?" Darby asked. "I don't know. Do we have to be something?" Riley asked. "Well you did kiss him." Sarah said. "What are ya?" Darby asked. "Look, it just happened. She's not really sure what it all means yet." Maya told them. "You guys are meant to be together. Like me and Yogi. Yogles!" Darby exclaimed, and Yogi jumped in her arms and she carried him away.  "Will Lucas and I ever have what they have?" Riley asked. "I really hope you don't." I said, watching him leave.
"You know, Riles, they do have a point. I mean you like him. He likes you. There was a kiss." Maya told her. "I will not act under peer pressure. Unless you think I should." Riley said. The girls pushed Riley to Lucas who was being carried by Farkle and Mason. "What are ya?" Mason asked.
"What are we?" Riley asked Lucas. "Are we boyfriend and girlfriend?" Lucas asked. "Are we?" Riley asked. "I don't know." Lucas replied. "You wanna?" "I don't know." Riley said. "You think, maybe?" "Wanna?" Lucas asked. "Are they weird or adorable?" Sarah asked. "No. Me and Yogi are weird. They're adorable." Darby said. "What just happened? Do I have my first boyfriend?" Riley asked.
"I don't know. What just happened?" Farkle asked. "I don't know. But it was weird wasn't it?" I asked, as Mason put his arm around me. "I don't know. Can't wait to see what happens next." Maya said. Farkle got down on one knee and opened a ring box.
~~~~~~~~~
"Okay, here we are. What do we do now?" Riley asked. "You go on a date after school." Sarah replied. "You sit there and look at each other stupid, like this." Darby said, before turning to Yogi and staring staring in his eyes. "Stop, nobody's telling us what to do. We're not you, you're you. We're us, we do what we do." Lucas said "Yeah, we do what we do. What do we do?" Riley asked.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mason and I were watching Titanic and I was in his arms crying. "No, Jacks Dead!" I cried out watching the frozen boy sink to the bottom of the ocean as Rose let his hand go. "She could have totally let him on the door." Mason said, nonchalantly. "She ...was ... flying." I said in between crying. "They barely knew each other." He responded. "Don't kill my fantasies Golden boy." I said, wiping my tears. I feel Mason's phone buss in his pocket. He reaches for it and looks at the screen. "The gang is meeting at Topanga's." He said standing up. "But we didn't finish the movie." I said. He shrugged and walked out the door. I follow him and we began walking to Topanga's. "So do you still like Lucas?" Mason asked me. "I don't know but it's me and you now." I said. "Let me know when you find out." Mason said, and I nodded. "How do you think Lucas and Riley are doing?" I asked. "Sinking like the Titanic." He responded. I laughed and grabbed his hand.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mason and I walked into Topanga's and Maya showed me her hand. "Mrs. Farkle Minkus." She said. She wore an engagement ring on her left ring finger. "You said yes?" I asked. "Yep I am no longer Maya Penelope Hart. Instead I'm Mrs. Farkle Minkus." Maya told me. "Somehow that's worse." I told her. "Mrs. Farkle Minkus." Maya said, now showing Riley her ring. "You said yes?" Riley asked. "Shocking isn't it?" I asked. Maya sat down beside Farkle. "Goodbye Maya Penelope Hart. Hello Mrs. Farkle Minkus." Maya said. "Yeah that's totally not gonna get old." I said sarcastically.
"All this time, I've been trying to love and appreciate her, but all it took was this big, hunking rock." Farkle said. "Make a note, Riley, Kayden, They put one of these in front of our faces and we get hypnotized by the sparkles." Maya told Riley. "Wait, you only said yes because of the ring? It had nothing to do with me?" Farkle asked. "That would be pretty shallow of me, wouldn't it?" Maya asked. "I don't care." Farkle told her.
"All right, Farkle, you're a scientist, let's do an experiment." Maya said, taking off the ring and handed it to Farkle. "Ask me without the ring." Farkle took the ring. "Would you marry me?" Farkle asked. "Die." She told him. "Wow that's harsh." Mason said. Now ask me with the ring." Maya said. "Would you marry me?" Farkle asked with the ring. "I love you so much." Maya said taking the ring from Farkle. "I believe you." Farkle replied. "Congrats buddy." Mason said. "Thanks freak-face." Farkle responded. Mason put his hand on his chest looking offended. I kissed his cheek. "Better." He said, with a smirk.
"Hypnotized, Riley, Kayden. You need to protect me." Maya told Riley. "Protect you from what, Maya? Relationships are supposed to be about two people who make the choice to come together by themselves." Riley said. "Of their own free will at the right point in time." Lucas added. "It has nothing to do with..." Riley started, and stopped when she saw the ring. She grabbed Maya's hand and looked at Farkle. "How do they get these things so sparkly, Farkley?" She said. "Pressure." Farkle said. "This diamond used to just be a piece of coal that was put under a lot of pressure."
"Yeah, I'm keeping it." Maya said, retracting her hand. "Good, I come with it." Farkle told her. "Huh, well I really love you and everything." Maya said looking at the ring. "Why thank you." Farkle responded. "I was talking to the ring." She told him. "Oh." Farkle said. "The way I see it. The only way we can be happy is if I sell you, get a nice house and the two of us would just be happy with each other." Maya said. "Just me and you?" Farkle asked. "Just me and the ring." Maya corrected. "Wait you're selling me?" Farkle asked. "I thought that was clear." Maya said.
"Fine. Come on Mason, Lucas, let's get out of here." Farkle said. "Oh, well I was going to walk Riley home." Lucas told Farkle. "You don't have to." Riley told him. "No, I think I should." Lucas replied. "Try again." Riley told him. "I want to very much." He told her. "Mason?" Farkle asked turning to him. "No, I have to walk this little brat home." Mason said. "Try again." I said. "I have to walk this little brat home." Mason repeated. "You're so mean to me." I said, playfully sticking out my bottom lip and crossing my arms. "You Love it." Mason replied, pulling me into him and kissing the side of my head. I rolled my eyes. "Awww." Riley and Maya said.

"Wait, that means I'm walking home with Farkle?" Maya asked. "You're wearing my ring." Farkle said. "Boy the stuff you got to do." Maya said. Farkle and Maya got up and walked out.
"I'm not sure it's going to work out with them." Riley said. "You think?" Lucas asked. "So you're walking me home?" Riley asked. "Yeah definitely Titanic." I said to Mason, and he put his arm around me as we walked out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Riley opened the door. "Thank you very much, Lucas. I had a wonderful time." Riley said stiffly. "You're welcome, Riley. I also had a wonderful time." Lucas replied stiffly.
"Uh, what are you kids doing? You guys look really awkward and stiff. Is this about that kiss I heard about?" mom asked. "What?!" dad shouted. Mom and dad got up and walked towards us. "Everyone pressuring you to be something you're not ready for?" Mom asked. "Not ready!" dad shouted. "Please, stop holding hands. You look crazy." Mom told them. Riley and Lucas stopped holding hands. "You two are a part of the best group of friends I have ever seen and if you're going to let some stupid outside pressure hurt that. Then you're not anywhere near as smart as I thought you were." Mom said "But sometimes the right pressure can turn you into a diamond." Riley said. "Yeah, and the wrong pressure turns you into dust." Mom responded. "Do you want to be dust?" "Dang, she's good." I said. "I don't want to be dust." Riley told her.
Riley turned to look at Lucas. "Lucas." Riley said. "I really like you, Riley." He told her. "We always have such a great time together." Riley said. "We should break up." Lucas told her. "We should break up right now." Riley said. "This has been my longest relationship." "Hey, Riley, do you have to be home?" Lucas asked her. "No we could go somewhere and talk." Riley suggested. "I'd like that." Lucas told her. "Yeah, like you used to when it was easy." Mom said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Riley and I walked into school with Mason and Lucas. "Hey, Lucas and I are friends. That's what we are, that's what we've always been. And we are not going to hurt that because you guys want us to be something we're not. So, go back to your own lives because nobody is moving too fast here." Riley told everyone. Farkle came into the hallway wearing a suit with Maya who was wearing a wedding dress and holding a bouquet.
"'Sup." She said. She threw the bouquet to Riley handed the bouquet to me and I handed it to Darby and walked to class.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was currently at Farkle's house. "It's been forever since we've hung out." I said. "Yeah, lots of things have changed since then." Farkle said. He looks at me as if he thinking. "Something on your mind Farkle?" I asked. "Do you think Riley and Lucas will Last?" He asked. " I don't know." I answered honestly. "Do you love Mason?" He asked. I looked away from his gaze. I didn't know how to answer his question. I loved how Mason treated me and how he respected my love for someone else. I thought he was cute. He would always be my "first love" but was I actually . "Kayden, things are changing and we're entering territory that even I don't understand. Feelings. I want you to know that no matter what you and I will still remain the same." Farkle said, breaking me out of my train of thought and grabbing my hands. "I know Farkle." I said, with a simple nod. "Now, go write in your journal like you do every night so we can do to bed." Farkle said. I got up and went to his desk in the corner of the room. I sat down and begin to write my thoughts:

"There's nothing like your first boyfriend. You've never had these feelings before and you imagine that no one else has ever felt this way about anybody. Your first boyfriend is the greatest thing ever and you want to be with them all the time. But do you truly love them or just the feeling of being loved?" - Kayden Matthews