Girl Meets First Date

Riley and I were walking towards our locker when Riley turned to met Lucas's gaze. Lucas smiled a bright smile looking at me. I smiled back and saw Lucas approaching Riley and I. "No-ooooo!" Dad shouted, picking Riley up and carrying her into the classroom. I looked at Lucas and shrugged my shoulders before walking into the classroom. The door closes behind me as Dad sets Riley down at her desk. I sat down at my desk watching Riley and Dad's exchange.

"Dad are you out of your mind?" Riley asked Dad. "Riley. it's time for the talk." Dad said to her. "In front of the whole class?" Riley questioned. Dad looked at Lucas who was standing at the door. "Yeah, give her the talk let's see what you know." I said, getting interesting in the matter at hand. "Okay. When a daughter..." he started, but was cut off by Riley. "Stop." She demanded. "Excuse me." Dad said. He ran to the back of the back door and closed it. "Not today, Chachi." He said.

Lucas pushed the door open with dad behind it. "Sir, you've known me all year. You like me, admit." Lucas said. "I don't wanna." Dad said. "I'm one of the good kids. What are you so afraid of?" Lucas asked. "Okay." Dad said. He walked towards the front of the room and erased Belgium 1831 off of the board. Farkle stood up wearing a Belgium shirt and hold a Belgium flag. "No!" he shouted.

"Okay, guys. It's the seventh grade spring fever, which leads to dating, which leads to movies, which leads to popcorn, which leads to putting your hands together in the dark touching popcorn, which leads to holding hands, which leads to that." Dad said pointing at Yogi and Darby. "Oh I am not ready for this." Dad walked over to them and picked up Yogi and separates him from Darby. "Come with me. Come here. Come on, no, come one. Come with me." Dad went to the front of the class with Yogi. "Riley, Kayden, I am begging you stay in Neverland, okay? No growing up." He said, then placed Yogi on his desk.

Farkle raised his hand. "What do you want?" Dad asked. "The way I see it, I'm in an interesting position here." Farkle said. "How do you figure Farkle?" Dad asked. "Let's approach this as a scientific equation. You're scared of Lucas going out with Riley, right?" Farkle asked. Dad scoffed. "Oh, does it show?" he asked. "Yeah, they're good looking and athletic." Farkle responded. "He's thirty six!" Dad exclaimed pointing at Lucas.

"Give your daughter to me. I'll give you four oxen and my best milking cows." Farkle bargained. Dad looked back at Lucas than at Farkle. "Are you actually thinking about this?" Riley and I asked our dad. My asking being in amusement more than anger. He smiled at us. "It's a good deal." He said. Riley stood up. "I will decided who I go on my first date with at such time as somebody asks me." Riley explained. Lucas raised his hand. Riley made an excited face.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Riley, Maya, and I were standing by our lockers after class. "Why do you think he put his hand down?" Riley asked. "Because you dad wouldn't call on them." Maya said. "And I don't think he ever will again." I added on with a laugh. "Life used to be so simple, Maya and Kayden. Wake up, brush my hair, eat cereal, pick up the bowl of cereal that I dropped." Riley explained. "When did all of this pressure happen?" Maya asked. "Boys have it easy, they have to ask." Riley said. "Really?" I said in disbelief.

"Oh yeah, they wouldn't last a day in our shoes. Waiting for them to get the courage to ask us." Riley told us. "And then doing the vacuuming and ironing the babies." Maya added sarcastically. I giggled at the last part. "Riley, this isn't the 90s anymore. You want something you go get it." I told her. "You're telling me you're not a little bit afraid of this?" Riley asked. "No." Maya answered. "You're saying that if you had feelings for somebody that you wouldn't be nervous?" Riley asked. "No, the only thing that makes me nervous is that the thing that everybody wants to happen never happens because everybody's too afraid to make it happen." Maya said.