Girl Meets Maya's Mother

Riley, Maya, and I were in art class. Farkle walked in with a robe on. "Why draw fruit? Let's draw a real work of art. That's right, check out 48 lbs. of nasty." Farkle said and started taking off his robe. "No." Maya, Riley, and I said as I covered Riley's eyes. Farkle took off the robe and underneath he was wearing a tank top and shorts

"Well lookie here, the male physique." our art teacher said. "Why thank you art lady." Farkle said. "Why aren't we drawing Lucas?" Riley asked flashing a smile at him. The teacher looked at Lucas. "Because nobody looks like that. Get used to this, get used to this right now. When drawing a Farkle, start with the eyes." Mrs.Kossal said. "I think the eyes should go straight to the gun show." Farkle said flexing his "muscles".

I started drawing a concrete poem of two people holding hands. "Maya, Kayden you're supposed to concentrate on the eyes." Riley said to us. "You see, you know what my problem is? I don't listen." Maya said. "I'm a writer, and art and writing are about expression so I do what I feel. " I said. " By the way, you're drawing Lucas." I told her. Riley looked down at her work and smiled up at Lucas. "Oh, Well that's the first time I've ever done that." Riley said.

I open Riley's sketchbook and a drawing of a bowl of Lucas' face on every fruit reveled. "Do I need help?" Riley asked. Maya and I nodded. "Alright I know these are works in progress, but let's see where we are." Ms. Kossal announced. "Maybe we'll become famous artists. Well go to Paris, drink coffee in outdoor cafes. How do I look?" Riley said standing up and mimicking drinking coffee.

Maya hummed a tune while drawing then showed her drawing to Riley and I. "Fine, make fun of me. I am a serious artist who belongs in Paris." Riley said to Maya. She then turned to Lucas and smiled. "Bonjour Lucas." She said. "Bonjour Riley. Maybe someday you and I will go to Paris together." Lucas said in French.  "Bonjour Lucas." she said.

"Vous êtes un homme de nombreux mystères." I said to Lucas. [Translation: you are a man of many mysteries.] "je connais. Tu l'es aussi." Lucas replied with a smirk on his face and winked at me. [Translation: I know. so are you.] "Thanks, cowboy." I said smiling and he nodded his head at me. I turned back at Riley and Maya and they were looking at each other with confused expressions. Ms. Kossal came over to look at the work we had done. "Oh my gosh." She said. "See I'm an artist. I'm finally something!" Riley said, smiling widely. "Maya, Kayden." Ms. Kossal said. "What a life I'm having." Riley said in an annoyed tone of voice.

"Maya, Kayden. My goodness. These are brilliant." Ms. Kossal said showing our works to the class. "Farkle's in a birds nest and Kayden's is just two hands holding made out of a bunch of words." Riley said examining the drawings. "They're works of surrealism, Riley. It's how the artist mind views the subject." Ms. Kossal said. "I'm a bird to you? you want to hold my hand?" Farkle asked us.

"No, you just need to be protected." Maya and I said. "You love me." Farkle told us. "Leave us alone." I replied to Farkle. "Maya, there's a school exhibit coming up. I want one of your pieces in it. Kayden I want you to do a bio on Maya's piece." The teacher said.  "What about my piece?" Riley asked. Ms. Kossal looked at drawing. "That's a cute top." She said.

"No thanks, Ms. Kossal. I don't draw for other people to look at, but thank you." Maya said. "I don't like showing off my writing." I told her. "I'd appreciate you two thinking about it, okay?" Mrs. Kossal said. Farkle got up to leave. "Where you headed, Farkle?" Riley asked. Farkle turned to Riley. "Gym class. That should go well, right?" He said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"They've been lying to you Auggie. Your artwork would not be hanging on a single refrigerator outside this apartment." Riley said as she sat at her place at the dinner table.  Auggie looked up to meet Mom's eyes. "You said I was a little genius." Auggie said to Mom. "Oh, you are a little genius." I said to Auggie hugging him. "You said I was a little genius." Riley said. "Well, we had no one to compare you to honey." Mom told her.