Girl Meets Rules

We all sat in my father's class waiting his arrival as he was very late. "All right. Where's your father?" Lucas asked Riley. "Are we getting a sub? I don't want a sub. You never know where they've been." Farkle said. "Your Dad's never been late to class before. Could this be the start of an apocalypse?" Mason asked. I turned in my chair facing him.

"Will you calm down? He's one minute late. Stop overreacting." I told him. "What if he never shows up? What if I never learn anything else? I'm going down, sir!" Farkle said. "Oh, he's not even here." Farkle said.

"We lost Farkle. A little help, Maya, Kayden?" Riley asked, getting up and walking over to Farkle who had fainted. Maya looked at me with a smirk. "uh oh." I mumbled under my breath. Maya got up and walked to my father's desk. "Matthews is out, Farkle is down, it's Maya time." She said.

Riley picked Farkle off the ground and placed him in his chair. "Farkle's fixed. No Maya time." Riley said. Farkle fainted again. "You may proceed." Riley said, sitting down.

"During Maya time, we open the confiscation drawer and take back all the stuff from the land of unfairly taken toys." Maya explained. "Maya, I don't think anybody really wants-" Riley began. She was cut off by cheers of our classmates.

Maya picked a frisbee out of the desk. "All right, whose is this?" Maya asked. Mason raised his hand. Maya tossed the frisbee his way. "Thanks small fry." He said. "No problem beanstalk." Maya said, casting a friendly wink his way. Farkle jumped up. "What'd I miss?" He asked. Mason tosses the frisbee at him causing him to once again hit the ground.

" Maya! He is going to walk in and catch you and you're going to be in trouble and I am here to keep you out of trouble, and I will have failed." I told her. "Do you want me to fail?" "Do you want us to show you how to have fun?" Maya asked. "Behaving is fun." Riley said for me. "Come here!" Maya shouted.

"I really don't want to." Riley stated. "I'd rather not." I said uneasy. "You two come here right now." Maya said. She held up her hand showing her ring. "Ring power!" We both stood up and walked over to her. "When we say 'ring power' you have to. It's a rule." Riley explained to our classmates.

"Tell me this isn't fun." Maya said. She picked up a toy gun and shot ping pong balls at our classmates. "Yeah, that seems like fun, but now you did it, so I don't get to do it, so are we sitting down now?" Riley asked. Maya handed me a toy gun. "Why me!" I shouted.

"Do it!" Maya ordered. "Maya, I really don't want too." I groaned. "Ring power." Maya said, holding up her hand. Farkle jumped back up. "What'd I miss?" He asked. Maya and I shot ping pong balls at him and the whole class broke out in war.

The class grew silent and all motion ceased as we saw my Dad enter the class. "When did you guys decide there are no rules in here?" He asked us. Maya and I put the toy guns away. "When did my generosity in allowing you express yourselves make you think you could turn my class into a zoo?" He asked.

"I'm sorry." Maya, Riley and I said, as we took our seats. "I'm sorry." Farkle said from the ground, spiting out a ping pong ball. "I'm sorry." Everyone else, except Lucas said. "Lucas. Why are you the only one here that didn't say 'I'm sorry'?" Dad asked him.

"Because I never do anything." Lucas answered. "No. Because you respect the rules. Because you know without them, civilization becomes chaos. The rest of you are gonna spend the afternoon thinking about that, with the exception of Lucas the good." Dad said.

"Oh, boy! Is that gonna stick?" Lucas asked me. "I'm already making t-shirts." I told him with big grin. Mason chuckled. Lucas walked up to the front. "You put me in a real bad position here, sir." Lucas told him. He looked out at the class who already had my "Lucas the good" T-shirts. "I gotta do something." he said.