Girl Meets The Secret Of Life

Riley, Maya and I were standing by our lockers when Riley closed hers and looked to us. "You know what I like? Life. And I like it when it doesn't change. We should sing out happy song." Riley told us. "We don't have a happy song." I told her. "We should have a happy song and you should write it." Riley replied. "Really?" I asked, hopefully and Riley nodded. "We will never have a happy song." Maya told her. "Not with that attitude." Riley told her. "You're no fun." I said, pouting like a toddler and crossed my arms looking at Maya. The bell rang and Maya, Riley, And I all enter our class.
"So you don't want anything to change?" Maya asked Riley. "No, I don't like change." Riley told Maya as we sat down. "Change fills my pocket with pennies of uncertainty." A figure sits behind me and I feel a peck on my cheek. I smile and turn around to meet Mason. "Hey, Babe." Mason greeted, with a warm smile. "Hey." I greet back, with a smile as well. "Dude, nobody wants to see that." Lucas teased. "You're just jealous." Mason teased back. Lucas pauses for a second meets my eye and turns back to Mason. "Whatever dude." Lucas said, with a playful eye roll.
"All right. So should we actually learn about what happened in Belgium in 1831?" dad asked. "NO!" Farkle shouted. "No?" dad questioned. "I always get my hopes up and then something happens to hurt my little Farkle heart. Well, this time I refuse to believe." Farkle explained. "In 1831..." dad started. "Yes? Wait!" Farkle said and turned to Riley. "Anything going to suddenly happen to you?" "No changes, lovin' life." Riley answered. Farkle turned to Lucas. "Anything going to happen to you?" he asked him. "Nothing ever happens to me." He answered. "Anything going on in Love Island." Farkle asked, looking at Mason and I. "Not today." I said, while Mason shrugged. "Maya?" Farkle questioned. Snores are heard as she slept on her desk.
"Oh my gosh. This is it." Farkle says excitedly. "In 1831...Belgium-" Dad started, but he was cut off by the door opening. "What? Y'all started without me?" A boy asked. Farkle stood up. "Get out!" he shouted. "Someone in this room is going to be very surprised to see me." The boy said. "Is it me?" Riley asked. "Riley, everything isn't about you." I said to her. "Don't know, sugar, but could you get any cuter?" he asked. "Well I can't answer that." Riley said, and smiled. "You got a transcript, kid?" dad asked. The boy handed Dad some papers. "I do. Check out them grades. Here, let me sing 'em to you. De, de, de, de, de, de... de, f." the boy sang. "Hey I know that song." Maya said, and smiled and nodded.
"Isaiah Babineaux. From Austin, Texas." Dad said."What are you doing here, Zay?" Lucas asked. "Well, the first thing I'm doing is waitin' for a better reaction from you." Zay explained to them. "Maya, Kayden, something's changing." She said. "Okay, Mr. Teach, where do I sit? You know, usually I'm more of a back row kind of guy." Zay told Dad. Back of the class Brenda waved and smiled. "Whoa. That's unusual."
"Have a seat right there, Mr. Babineaux." Dad told him, gesturing to the seat behind Lucas. "Lucas, do you know this Isaiah?" I asked him, due to my sparked interest. "Yeah tell 'em you know me good." Zay commented. "How 'bout we talk later, okay?" Lucas said. "Well, Mr. Babineaux, if you work out as well as last year's new student," dad said, and pointed to Lucas. "we're happy to have you here."
"Wait. What? Lucas, you're doing okay here?" Zay asked Lucas. "Why wouldn't he be okay here?" Riley questioned. "Not currently on probation? No disciplinary actions? They just let you wander free?" Zay asked him. "Sit down!" Farkle exclaimed and Zay sat down. "Okay, new guy's all settled in and there's still class time left so do it! Do it while I'm still tingly!" Farkle said. "So, in 1831, Belgium declared-." Dad started.
"What is the secret of life?" Yogi cut him off. "I'm sorry, Mr. Farkle." Yogi said, standing up. "I know I'm not your daughter or son, but I too have value in this world. What is the secret of life?" My dad chuckled and held up the eraser to the board. "Don't do it! Put it down and no one gets hurt." Farkle told my dad. My dad smiled and erased the chalkboard. Farkle screamed and then he pounded his head on his desk multiple times.
"Yogi has asked the primary riddle of the universe: What is the secret of life? People spend their whole lives trying to figure it out. I was lucky. I had a teacher who cared about me to make sure I knew. Lucas, you got an opinion on this?" My dad asked. Maya turned around and looked at him. "Yeah, what do you got, Mr. Moral compasses?" Maya asked. "Did you just call Lucas Friar your moral compass?" Zay asked. He hit Lucas on the shoulder. "Ha, they called you moral compass!" Lucas turned around to look at Zay. "Okay." Zay said.
"Something bad is going to happen, Maya and Kayden." Riley said. "Yeah. It appears to me you're trying to tell us ranger Rick was a little different back in Texas." I said Zay. "A little? What do they know, exactly? 'Cause I wouldn't wanna say anything wrong. They know you're a year older, right?" Zay questioned. "That honestly explains a lot." I said. "Yeah." Lucas said. "They do now." "Oh, yeah, it's my fault. Look at you!" Zay exclaimed. "He's officially my favorite." I said, chuckling.
"Okay, that's enough, Mr. Babineaux." Dad told him. "Oh, so you know about him?" Zay asked. "I know all about Mr. Friar." Dad replied. "Excuse me?" Riley questioned. "Riley, you're shaking." Maya told her. "Dad, do you know something?"Riley asked him. "Back in Texas..." Lucas started. "Lucas." Dad said. "You sure?" Lucas nodded "Back in Texas I did something. I had to leave." He told her. "It was great. They threw him out of the whole school." Zay said.
"What?" I asked. "I came here to get a new start." Lucas said. "Nobody knew me here." "I know him." Zay said, raising his hand. "Do I know you?" Riley asked Lucas.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Riley, Maya, Mason, and I were sitting in the cafeteria eating lunch. "Look, we don't know the story yet." Mason started. "Yeah, Let's know the story before you go to Rileytown." I said. "I'm not going to Rileytown. I'm calm." She told me. "I like it worse when you're calm. C'mon. Be you." Maya told her. She lifts Riley's arm and swings it around. "Y-y-y-yay." Lucas sat down with us.
"Deny it." Riley told Lucas. "Riley." Lucas said. "Tell me that whoever this Zay kid is, that he can't just come and change you from the Lucas we know. Tell us nothing changes." Riley said to him. "That's all you got to do, Lucas. You hear me? I just called you by your actual name. That's how much it's important to me. Because it's important to her. Deny it." I told him.
"I can't." Lucas replied. "I like you. I went on my first date with you. Do you think it's right to let me like you without telling me who you are?" Riley asked. "You know who we are. I'm ranger Rick. We rode a white horse. I asked your father's permission just to go out with you. Who does that?" Lucas asked.
"Were you thrown out of school?" Riley asked him. "Yes." Lucas answered. "For a whole year?" She asked Lucas. "Yes." He answered. Maya smiled and pointed at Lucas. "I can't lie, I'm kinda impressed." I said. "I finally like you." Maya told him. "You told me you wanted to be a veterinarian. You told me you gave birth to a horse." Riley said to Lucas. "That had to hurt." Maya said with a smile.
"Why wouldn't you tell me about this?" Riley said to him. "It's not something I'm proud of. I thought I could start over. I guess I was wrong. I guess you do something and that's the end of it." Lucas said.
"You think that's what I'm upset about? Whatever you did? Then you don't know me. And I don't know you." Riley told Lucas. "Why are you acting like this?" Lucas asked. "Friends talk to each other and real friends listen, remember? I would have listened. I'm your friend. Whatever you did. Why wouldn't you trust me with it? People who care about you are supposed to trust you with stuff." Riley said and paused. "Wait a minute." Riley stood up and looked at Me. "Our father knew about this?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Something angry this way comes." I said entering our apartment. "What do you mean?" Dad asked. "You'll see in three. two." I said counting down.
"You knew!" Riley shouted as she walked in. "Dang, I wasn't fast enough this time." I said. "Well I'm not going to beat that." Auggie said, getting off of the table. Maya walked into the apartment. "Boy are you gonna get yelled at, Matthews! Oh, I already missed it? Do it again." Maya said. "A normal people sanctuary. I'd like a fountain. Maybe a candle." Mom said. "How could you keep something like this away from us?" Riley asked. "Just some place where people don't get hysterical over every little thing." Mom said.
"Yes, I did know Lucas was expelled." Dad told us. "What?" mom questioned. She stood up and slammed her book closed. "Topanga, you knew, I told you all about this." Dad whispered to mom. "Yes, I know you told me all about this, but I want nothing to do with that!" Mom said. "Why would you let me like Lucas if you knew something about him?" Riley asked. "Riley, honey, whatever this is about Lucas, that I know nothing about. I'm sure your father knows exactly what you need to learn from it." Mom told us. "Really?" I questioned. "Dad?" Riley asked. "You got anything?" I asked.
~~~~~~~~~~
I was plucking the strings of my guitar trying find chords for a new song. Suddenly, a gentle tapping sound could be heard from my window. I looked up to see Lucas. "Hi." Lucas said, sheepishly. "Hey." I said, putting down my guitar and opening my window. I sat back down allowing him to enter my room. "I just came to say I'm sorry for not telling you I had to leave Texas." Lucas said, sitting down beside me.
"Lucas, I don't care that you had to leave Texas I'm mad that you felt like you needed to hide it from me." I said, staring deeply into his eyes. "I know and I want to tell you. I just didn't want you ... and everyone to think of me differently." Lucas said. "Huckleberry, you will always be our moral compass. Don't make the assumption that we will turn our backs on you for something that you did in the past." I said. Lucas nodded.
"What happened that made you leave." I asked. "Well in Texas..." Lucas started but was cut off by someone entering my room. "Kayden, you left your history book in..." Riley started by stopped seeing Lucas. "My room...What is he doing here." She says looking at me. "He came to apologize for not telling us about Texas." I said, standing up. "Oh so he can tell you but he can't tell me." Riley said, raising her voice.