Girl Meets Gravity

"Kayden Matthews from Greenwich village, New York City, the United States of America, the continent of North America, Western hemisphere, the earth, the solar system, the universe. The mind of God. And in the middle of all of it, is John Quincy Adams Middle School, me and my friends, because we are the center of the universe. At least that's what I thought."

********

I woke up to the loud ringing of my alarm. I slammed hand down on it and grabbed my phone. My home screen read the date that marked the first day of school. I read the five texts from some of the most important people in my life.

Pops:

Hey Kiddo have a good day at school!!! 😬❤👍😀😃

Farkle:
Greetings best friend, It's our first official day of learning.

Maya:

Hey loser first day of school🙄😬😙

Mason:

Hey babe first day of school I can't wait to see you 😍😘♥

Lucas:

Hey rainbow it's the first day of school 🌈❤

I got up, got ready and walked into Riley's room with Mom. "Who's ready for a brand new year? Why are you still in bed?" Mom asked. "Is he going to be our teacher?" Riley asked. "No we are not doing that again. That was crazy. New year, new teacher, get excited because you and your friends are the kings of middle school now." Mom told us. I shook my head. "I'll believe it when I see it." I said. Dad walked into the room.

"First day of the new year." He said, and then noticed that Riley was in bed. "Why are you still in bed?" he asked. "Are you going to be our teacher?" I asked him. "No." he answered. "Your mother and I went through that with Mr. Feeny." "Yeah our teacher from sixth grade to college." Mom added. "How could that happen?" I asked. "In an unexpected," dad started. "But completely believable way." Mom added. "Every year." Dad finished.

"What up losers?" Maya greeted, crawling through the window. She threw her shoes to the ground and Riley moved the blanket so she could get in the bed. I joined them and pulled the blanket over our heads. "No, no, no. No doing that." Dad said and I felt him climb on to the bed. "School." We pushed the blanket back down. "Who's going to be my teacher?" Maya asked with narrowed eyes. "Your teacher, whoever loses." Dad told her. "I still don't believe you." I told him. "I'm telling you, Imma be teaching your lives to a whole new group of students." Dad told us.

"Do you believe him?" Riley asked Maya. "I can't believe we're starting off the new year without first talking about how we were on the subway and you took Lucas by the face-." Maya started but was kicked out of the bed. "We have to talk about it sooner or later Riley. Our lives are changing." I said standing up. "I choose later." Riley said as she stood on her bed. "We're kings." "We're kings, Matthews. You can't tell us what to do." Maya said to dad. "Get out." He told her. "Okay, but that was the last one." Maya said. "Dad you have to let us walk through life on our own two feet." I told him.

I followed Riley and Maya out of the window. "Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow." Riley and Maya said as we walked. "Should've brought shoes." I thought to myself.

********

Riley, Maya, and I walked through the hallway but they didn't have any shoes on. "Hello, it is us the kings." Riley said as we walked down the stairs. "Hey look at your feet their naked." Farkle said as he walked up to us. "Eyes up here, buddy." Maya told him. "Hey Riley, Kayden, your dad going to be our teacher this year?" Farkle asked. "That's what he says but I don't believe him." I answered. "I'll believe it when I don't see it." Maya said. I went to my locker to get my books. "Hey." someone said, as I had my head in my locker grabbing my books. I closed my locker to see Lucas. "Hi." I said, being scooped up in a hug by him. "So how's your summer been?" I asked. "It's been good, I went back home and helped with the animals." Lucas said. We walked back to Riley and Maya. "Aww Huckleberry that just dills my pickle." I said, in a fake country accent. He rolled his eyes and prepared to speak but was interrupted by Riley.

"Oh hi." Riley said. "Hey, hi, hey." Lucas said. While they were having their ackaward exchange Mason walked up to me. He pulled me away from my friends and then into a tight hug. "Hey I missed you." He said breathlessly. "Mason, we saw each other all summer." I said, with a giggle. "Yeah well it's always good to see you." He said, his ocean blue eyes connecting with my hazel ones. The bell rung. I rolled my eyes and grabbed his hand pulling him toward the classroom. "Come on hun." I said.

"I can't look, I know it's going to be our father." I said, putting my hands over my eyes. "I'll look for you." He said. "Woah." he said, walking inside. I quickly pulled my hands from my eyes and rushed inside. "This can't be real." I said in shock. "You're the greatest thing I've seen in my whole life." I said, rushing up to the teacher. "Thank you. Now, take a seat." He told us. Riley, Maya, and I moved and sat on the desk with him. "Your seats." He told us. We got up and sat down at our desks.

"Yeah, okay, let's get started." He said, walking to the board which had 'Belgium 1831' written on it. "Belgium, 1831." "Y-y-y-y-ay!" Farkle exclaimed. "This is gonna be our best year ever." I said. "Let's just get up, go over, and look at him up close." Maya said. "Please don't." I whined, knowing they were gonna mess things up. They approached the man. "Yes?" he asked. "He said yes." Riley said. "What do we do now?" Maya asked. "I'm going to touch him on the face." Riley told us. "You're gonna ruin it." I said. Riley moved her finger towards his face.

"Sit down." He ordered. Riley and Maya sat in their seats. "You two strike me as a couple of girls who are used to special treatment. I don't know who your last teacher was, but I don't do that." "Spot on Mr. Teacher man." I said giving him a thumbs up. "What I've gathered from you is that you are a smart young man that knows exactly what's gonna happen but you let them do what they want because you can't stop them." He said, looking at me. I shrug my shoulder and nod. "Farkle time, sir?" Farkle asked raising his hand. "Go ahead, kid. You gotta Farkle, you gotta Farkle." He told Farkle. Farkle slowly put his hand down. "No this is where he takes over the class." Lucas told our new teacher. "Oh, he takes over the class? And you just talk without raising your hand? And these three just do whatever they want?" the teacher asked. Mason raised his hand. "Yes." The teacher said. "Pretty much yeah." Mason answered.

"You know what? I wanted to make a difference. I wanted to shape young minds. I wanted to dedicate my entire life to being an influential person who commands respect!" the teacher told us. Riley got up and slowly brought her finger towards his face until it touched his nose. "I quit!" he announced. "Told ya you would ruin it." I said. He walked out of the room and Riley sat back down. "What happens now?" Riley asked. "3. 2. 1." I counted down waiting for my father to arrive. "You did this." He told her. "Bingo." I said.

"I can't believe you're going to be my father again." Riley said. "She said what she said." She said, earning looks from the class. "Seriously, Dad, how is this possibly happening?" I asked. "I like that this is happening. The other guy didn't give me Farkle time." Farkle admitted. "Yeah, he didn't like it at all when we talked." Lucas said. "It's true. It was like he wanted to talk all the time." Mason said. "I don't think he knew that history class is supposed to be about our lives." Riley added. "Galileo." Dad said. He walked over to his desk and put his bag down. "Everyone believe that the sun revolved around the earth... except for him. Everyone thought they were the center of the universe and that everything else circled around them." "I know somebody who circles around me... a little too closely." Riley said,.

"Is that what you think is happening here, Riley?" dad asked her. "We're in the eighth grade now." Riley said. "We're a year older." Maya said. "We should be able to head off and explore without you." I told him. "Okay and you guys think you're ready?" he asked. "Born ready." Maya answered. "We'll get there." Riley answered. "No but we'll figure it out." I said. "You know what we're gonna do, Matthews?" Maya asked. "We're gonna transfer out of here." "Yeah! Yeah?" Riley questioned. "Yeah!" Maya said. "Mason." I said. "Lucas, Farkle." Riley said.

"I don't think so Riley." Lucas told her. "I really like him." Farkle told us. "I like the way he teaches us And I like how we're talking right now and he doesn't stop us, when he could if he wanted to." Mason said. "Wait why don't you stop us?" Lucas asked. "Yeah, that's interesting isn't it?" dad questioned. Riley, Maya, and I got up. "Well we're done with you. Thanks for the lessons. Buy yourself something pretty." Maya told him. "Thank you. Oh you're gonna need transfer slips." He told us.

"I knew it, he was going to keep us here on a technicality." Maya said and he handed them to us. "Go ahead, beat it." He told us. "Look at us, Riles and Kay. Three young, independent women ... and man taking their own road, making their own way with their guts and their brains." Maya said as we walked out of the room. "Needing nothing from nobody for this moment on!" Riley said.

I opened the door and dad threw them their shoes. "Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow." They said in pain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We think we're the center of the universe. We think everything revolves around us. We depend on the sun for light, for warmth every morning, every day and when it's gone... we sleep... Trusting that in the morning, it will always come back again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Riley, Maya, and I walked into our new class. "Transfer slip. Poom!" Riley stated slamming her transfer slip on the desk. "Poom." I said doing the same as Riley. "And poom." Maya said repeating what we did. We turned and looked at the class. "Greeting new classmates. Riley Matthews ready to be your friend." Riley introduced herself. "I'm Kayden Matthews and I'm here to keep them out of trouble." I introduced myself. "Sup? I'm Maya. You don't look me in the eyes." Maya said.

"You three are late. You three don't talk. You three sit there, there, and there." The teacher told us pointing to our seats in the back. "There, there, and there?" I questioned. Maya chuckled, "No, no, we sit together." "In the middle of everything." Riley added. "Move!" the teacher shouted and Maya yelped. "Bye, bye." Riley sobbed hugging Maya and I.

"Excuse me." The teacher said. "Were you three trying to have a moment? You three don't get a moment. This is not the you three show." "We were told it was." Riley said. Riley, Maya, and I walked towards the back, but we stopped and stood next to two girls and a boy who sat where we sat in our old class. We then went to the back of the room. Riley and Maya started doing weird things and The teacher slammed a book down on her desk and they moved back to their seats.

"During the Gold Rush, people left the comfort of their own surroundings in the hope of greater riches in an inhospitable land." The teacher said. "Excuse me." Riley said. "I will not warn you again side person." She told her. Riley looked at her in shock and sat down. "You tell her mom." a girl said in the front. "You failed me." The other girl said. "Ha!" one boy said. "I saw a goat give birth." One of the other boys said. "3. 2. 1." A boy counted down. "Hi." The girl said. "Hi." The boy replied. "Can we please get back to the lesson." A boy that reminded me of Mason said.

"Wait a minute!" Maya exclaimed standing up. "Students number 6, 7, and 8." The teacher called out. "That's us?" Riley asked. "I believe so." I answered. "Students number 6, 7, and 8." Riley said. "Hey, at least she's talking to us." Maya told us. "Yes." Riley said. "Get out!" she ordered pointing towards the door. "Fine, well at least we get a dramatic exit." Riley said as we walked over to Maya. She flipped her hair and started to walk out of the room when she realized they weren't even paying attention to her. We walked back and Riley shouted, "Oh come on!" Before we finally left the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Here's what's funny. If you're standing on the moon, you'd think the earth was revolving around you, instead of the other way around. It's really all about perspective. It's hard not to believe that you're the center of everything. Until something shows you you're not."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Our Town by Thornton Wilder, my favorite play." Dad said in his classroom. Riley, Maya, and I were standing outside of the room. "You can't teach English." Farkle said. "Yeah, that's why we have an English class for." Lucas said agreeing with Farkle. "It's all about the history," dad started. "There you go." Mason said. "Of people just like you and me. Mostly about not taking what we have for granted, and a girls who gets a chance to take one look at the life she life behind." Dad continued. We walked into the class and put on transfer slips on the desk before sitting down at our seats.

"Just for a moment now we're all together. Just for a moment we're happy. Let's really look at one another." Dad said quoting the play. We all looked at each other. "Hello, you're back?" he asked. "Yes." Maya answered. "As bad as this is," I started. "Everything else is worse." Maya continued. "Well welcome back, you're just in time for today's lesson." He told us. "Did we miss anything?" Riley asked. "Nah. We're just putting everything back in place." He told us as he walked towards the board. "The real lesson begins right..." he snapped his finger. "Now."

********

"Face it we're never going to escape him." I said as we walked into the bakery. "He's everywhere. How are we going to be kings of anything if everywhere we go," Maya started. "We might run into my..." I turned around to see my mom. "Mom? What are you doing here?" Riley said. "Is my-krainian bakery." She told me before turning to look at Auggie and Mrs. Svorski. "Still not funny." Auggie told her. "Not funny? I'll tell you what's not funny. This place loses $1.50 on every bulochki." mom said. "I bake with love. How can you put a price on love?" Mrs. Svorski asked. "Watch me." Mom said. She pulled a price marker and put it on the bulochki. "$4.95." "Ooh. Ka-ching!" Mrs. Svorski exclaimed.

"Bakery window, bakery window right now." Riley told us pointing towards the window. We walked over to the window and sat down. "That's nice. So, your dad's at school, your mom's at our hangout. That's nice." Maya said chuckling. "You're laughing at us?" Riley said. "Inside I'm crying so hard." Maya admitted. "We can't escape them Maya. Our parents are constantly circling us. Like planets." I told Maya. We heard something slam against the window. "Hello." I heard dad say. He walked into the bakery. "Riley, Kayden, I haven't seen you in twenty minutes." He pulled us in for a hug. "Do you miss me? 'Cause I missed you. Auggie, come here. I miss you too, bud."

"Mrs. Svorski, I have someone who I think can be the perfect manager for when I can't be at the bakery." Mom told Mrs. Svorski. "This person know way around food game?" Mrs. Svorski asked. "Absolutely. She's also very colorful. She really gets into whatever she's doing." Mom told her. "Sounds like good woman." Mrs. Svorski replied. ""Oh! Sorry I'm late." I turned to see Maya's mom walking in. She was talking in a Ukrainian accent. "My donkey died on way here. Oh, smells like being back in kitchen in Ukraine." She said as she walked further into the bakery. "Waiting for Tato to come home, hoping he has not lost last finger in field mower. Oh no, no, he did." "Poor Tato. You can never win at paper rock scissors. Always know rock is coming." Mrs. Svorski said.

"One." Maya's mom said. "Two, three, rock." Mrs. Svorski and Maya's mom said together. "I like her." Mrs. Svorski commented. Maya got up and walked towards her mom. "Mom." Maya said. "Ohh, Mayabushka." Maya's mom said before she started talking in her normal voice. "I am gonna be here all the time bow, baby girl. How great is that?" she brought Maya in for a hug. "Mom, you can't be here." Maya told her mom. "Dad, mom, you're everywhere." Riley said. "We just need some space." Maya said. "It's like you're circling around us." Riley told our parents. "I'm sorry. You think we're circling around you?" Dad asked. "Yes." Riley and I answered.

"Oh I see." Mom said before turning to look at dad. "So, I guess we're all done with the parenting?" "Yes it seems we're done with that part now. Good job, Topanga." Dad said to mom. "Good job, Cory." Mom replied. "Remember that whole potty-training we did for them and now they want to leave?" "Oh I loved every minute of that, good times." Dad said. "So you're okay with this?" Riley asked. "Oh yeah, we understand. You're grownups. You know everything there is to know." Mom told her. "Yep, ready to move away." Dad added.

"Well I mean I want to stay in my own bedroom." Riley said. "Okay. You'll just drop us a line when you get married and have kids?" mom asked. "Mom, it's not that big a deal we just don't want you to be everywhere." I told her. "Okay. Well, when you need us, we'll be at home." Mom told us. "And I'll be back there, staying out of your way." Maya's mom told her. "Okay." Maya said. "Good." I said. "So, nobody feels bad about this?" Riley asked. "Well let's see what happens." Dad told us.

Riley, Maya, and I sat down in a both. We watched everyone until our parents and Auggie left. "So." Riley said. "Here we are." Maya said. "Kings." I said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The sun doesn't go around the earth. We're the ones moving. We orbit the sun, because we need it. We need its light and its heat, and if it wasn't there, we'd be dark and alone." I said. I walked over to the picture of Mrs. Svorski's picture. "I wasn't in Mrs. Svorski's orbit for very long and I missed out on someone wonderful. My brother knew better. He was her very good friend." I walked over to Maya and Riley and brought them back to the front with me.

"We think that we're the center of the universe, but the truth is we need to circle the ones we love for as long as they're here." I said. Maya walked over to her mom while Riley and I walked over to our family. "We need to hold them close because no matter how far we travel, they're the ones who hold us in place. It's gravity, and without it, we would just all float away from each other." I walked back to the front while saying, "We are not kings at all. We are just tiny little specks. My name is Kayden Matthews from Greenwich Village, New York City, the United States of America, the continent of North America, the Western hemisphere, the earth, the solar system, the universe, the mind of God."

"That's from Our Town, my father's favorite play. 'Just for a moment we're all together. Let's really look at one another.'." Everyone was quiet as we all looked at each other. I walked over to Mrs. Svorski's picture and said, "Good night, Mrs. Svorski." I walked over to Auggie and picked him up. I sat in his spot and sat him on my lap. "Good job, Kay." Auggie told me. "I know you're gonna miss her, buddy." I replied. "She gave me her flour shaker." He told me holding a flour shaker. "That's really nice." I told him. I shook and heard something inside it rattle. "What's inside?" I opened it and took out a piece of paper and gave it to Auggie. "It's a note. Maybe she wrote you a note."

Auggie read whatever was on the paper then laughed. "I love you guys." He told us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat in my father's house on his couch and began writing some lyrics down:

"Gravity is working against me

And gravity wants to bring me down

Oh, I'll never known what makes this man

With all the love that his heart can stand

Dream of ways to throw it all away

Whoa, gravity is working against me

And gravity wants to bring me down

Oh, twice as much ain't twice as good

And can't sustain like one half could

It's wanting more that's gonna send me to my knees"

"Hey Kayden, whatcha doing." I heard and looked up to see my father Shawn Hunter. "I'm just writing a song Pops." I replied. "Can I hear it?" He asked me and I nodded and walked to the big grand piano in the corner of the room. I began to play the song. After I finished he look at me in shock. "What's that about?" He asked. "I think it isn't about one certain situation in particular. Mostly about REALITY being like gravity. We all want to live in our own dream world and maybe our fantasies skew our perception of the real world. Then Reality comes to bring us out of the world we want and into the world that really exists, which is never as pleasant as the one we envision." I explain while continuing to write on down some ideas. "Wow, when I was your age I didn't even know who I was yet." Dad said. "Well, I don't either but I'm learning that that's okay." I said. Dad nodded and smiled at me. "Things are changing and I have to change too." I said. "Something tells me you'll be just fine." Dad said. "You want to watch a movie?" I said. He nodded and put in a movie while walked to the microwave and put in some popcorn. I grabbed my journal and began to write:

True Happiness is being satisfied and happy without something more or different.

"Kayden, hurry up the movie is about to start!" Dad exclaimed from on the couch. I grabbed a bowl for the popcorn. "Coming Dad!" I exclaimed back with a smile on my face.

THIS is my true happiness!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(A/N: Hey guys I hope you enjoyed this chapter its been long over due and I'm sorry but Its summer for me so I'll be posting more. My update schedule is on my account. Also I hope you enjoyed the Shawn and Kayden scene I hope to do more scene like that with more characters so tell me if you liked it. One last announcement and that is that ...

@NutellaEmpress  and I are dropping a Teen Beach Movie Fanfic later on today and I hope you guys check it out.)