Girl Meets 1961

"The sixties, Man! Influential musicians like Bob Dylan and Joan Baez....playing guitars and singing like prophets. The times, they were A-changin!" Mr. Matthews explained. "The class, they are A-sleepin'!" Farkle said. "It's not your fault, Dad. It's just the stuff you're saying." Riley said. "Hey, the sixties was a great time. I think he's just not teaching it right." I said defensively. "I'm talking about the sixties, Man!" Mr. Matthews said to Riley. And then turned to me. "Hey, that's hurtful.'' Dad said with a hand over his heart looking offended. ''Sorry, carry on.'' I said.

"Nobody cares about when you were our age." Riley said. Riley shrugged her shoulders. "Riley, it was over fifty years ago. How old do you guys think I am?!" Mr. Matthews asked. "There's no right answer to this, Sir." Lucas answered. Mr. Matthews looked at us in shock. "You should teach us future class. You know, give something we could use." Maya said.

"Listen, Dad, you're doing a wonderful job up there and we're very happy that you're all jazzed up..." Riley started. "But History has nothing to do with us." Maya finished. "I'm gonna snap this chalk now." Mr. Matthews said, holding up his piece of chalk. "Uh-oh." Lucas said. "Snap!" Matthews said, snapped his chalk. "And just like the chalk he has snapped." I said earning a laugh from Lucas. "What did you guys do yesterday?" Mr. Matthews asked. "I think I had grapes." Riley answered.

"Do you know what yesterday was?" Mr. Matthews asked. "Grapes day!" Riley once again answered. "It's history. Every decision you make every day, every time you decide to turn left instead of right, you make history. And you affect someone else's. And if you refuse learn that, I guarantee you, you guys will not become the best person you can be. Because history is all about missed opportunities." Mr. Mathews explained. He then walked towards Maya. "History has nothing to do us, wasn't it Ms. Hart?" Mr. Matthews asked Maya.

"Can't remember, it was like five minutes ago." Maya said. "Fine. I am not gonna teach you about the sixties." Mr. Matthews said. "Yay!" The class said. "Boo." I said. "You are." Mr. Matthews finished. Yay!" Farkle and I cheered and the class groaned. "History is alive even if you weren't. But now you're gonna be. You will visit the 1960's and give a report." Mr. Matthews said.

"Time travel!" Farkle said excitedly. "How do we do that, Dad? We weren't there." Riley said. "You were." Matthews said. "How?" Riley asked. "You all have grandparents or great-grandparents. Choose one who was around during that time. Learn all you can about them and report back. Then we'll see if history has nothing to do with us. Living....now I'm all jazzed up." Mr. Matthews said. Again the class groaned while Farkle and I cheered.

(Greenwich Village, New York, 1961)
The 1960s was a brutal time for my people. I was a famous openly gay African American artist. It was hard to be either one of these things during this time. I walked into the place called Cafe Hey. Cafe Hey was one of the only places I felt comfortable. The place was filled with musicians, artists, and just observers of humanity who didn't care about race or sexuality. It was comforting knowing the people who came here saw me as a great artist instead of an activist for the Civil Rights Movement (which I was). I walked in wearing a long black trench coat and carrying a long briefcase containing my art easel, paint brushes, canvas, paper, and pencils. Jazz music filled my ears as I walked in. I walked to the counter to greet my friend. "Hello." I called out to get the man's attention. A young man turned around. He had glasses and wore a beret. "Heyyy, Edward Moore. How are you?" Ginsburg greeted. "I've been well, thank you." I said. "We have a new face here tonight." The Ginsburg said said. A beautiful young woman smiled at me and I waved.

"So are you two, but everything's new to me--the people, the places, the whole happening scene, Man." The girl said. "First time you ever said that, isn't it?" Ginsburg asked. "I practiced the whole way here." The girl answered. "Not half bad." I said. "Thanks, Man." The girl said. I nodded my head at her. "Let me get a vibe." Ginsburg said and then walked from behind the counter.