Girl Meets Smackle

"Ancient Greece." Dad said starting his lesson, holding a box wrapped in multi-colored polka dot wrapping paper with a pink bow on top. "What that? What that, that?" Riley asked pointing at the box in the hands of our father. "What this? This is a present." He told her. "Is it for me?" Riley asked. "What's your game Matthews?" Maya asked.  "Game? I mean no game. I just wants to know who here wants this present." He answered Maya. Everyone in the room raised their hands except for Maya and I. Personally I knew it had to be a setup and apart of one of Dad's lessons because things were rarely unrelated to the things he taught. Dad turned to Maya and I while Maya twirled her hair between her fingers and had my arms crossed with a bored expression. "Oh, Maya, Kayden, what? You assume by playing hard to get, I'm gonna give it to one of you two?" He questioned us. "Well, yes." Maya started. "That's one of many bows in my quiver." Maya continued.  Farkle then shuddered. "Medieval talk. What are you doing to me, women?" Farkle asked her. "Kayden?" Dad asked me, wondering why I didn't raised my hand. "Well, father, you walk into class with this nicely wrapped gift coincidently on the say day as your Ancient Greece lesson. The things we do in this class are always related to the lesson and when I think of Ancient Greece and nicely wrapped presents I think of the Trojan Horse when..." I started to say say with a challenging tone when Riley interupted me. "Kayden he is giving away presents. Don't ruin it with your logic." Riley exclaimed with excitement. Dad flashed me a smile knowing I had figured out his lesson before turning to Riley.

"Riley." Dad said and placing the box on her desk. "Yay!" She cheered and then stuck her tongue out at me. I rolled my eyes at her. She opened the box only looking to have her happy face transform into a disappointed face. She picked up a chalkboard with "Trojan Horse" written on it. "Surprise!" Dad exclaimed. "I'm not going to say I told you so, but I did." I said with a bright smile. "Dad, This is one of your life lessons wrapped up in a class lesson wrapped up in a box up nothing!" Riley said. "How you doing?" Maya asked Riley. "I'ma worked up." Riley said. "We know, My little Gummy bear. We know." I said to her.

"You assumed because it was all neat and pretty that something good was inside. Ancient Troy was protected by walls. The Greeks couldn't get in, so they built a big, wooden horse and left it behind. What do you think the Trojans did?" Dad asked the class. "They left it there because they were afraid that somebody was going to teach them something." Riley said, in a bitter tone.

"They captured it as a trophy and brought it inside. That night, the Greek soldiers crawled out of the horse and defeated Troy." I answered. "Excellent Kayden, what have we learned here, Mr. Friar." Dad called on Lucas. "Don't make assumptions on what you see." He answered. Dad nodded at his answer. "Riley, listen. I'm sorry I made an example out of you. So here's a gift for you." Dad said. "Ooh no! I want to, no! Pretty ribbon, no!" Riley said, still angry about his action for earlier.

"I'll take my chances with that, sir." Lucas said.  "No, Lucas. You have to assume it was no good because the first one was no good. Aren't you proud of me, dad?" Riley asked. "No!" He shouted at her. "Get out of detention free." Lucas read off the back off the card that was in the box. "Ooh, I could use one of those." Maya said. "Give her that and I won't call you "Ranger Rick"all week." I said bargaining with Lucas.  "Here you go." Lucas said, handing the card to Maya. "Thanks, Ranger Roy." I thanked him.

"Lemme guess, Ranger Roy is filling for Ranger Rick ?" Lucas asked. "All week." I answered.  "And now you." Maya said to my father. "Oh, is something gonna happen to me?" He asked. Maya began to start singing scat and walked up onto Mr. Matthews desk. "D-d-d-detention~ But not today. Boom!" Maya finished as she bent down to Mr. Matthews level and showed him the card. "Read the card." Mr. Matthews said to her. "Huh?" Maya asked in confusion. "Cards." He repeated. " Say "get out of detention free" then give worthless card to Maya and then watch her dance on my desk." Maya read off of the back of the card. Maya glared at him and walked to her desk.