Girl Meets Game Night

"Family game night. My favorite night of the month. Just me, my family, and my 'jama pants." Dad said. Riley and I walked over to Dad and sat at the table. "Why do you guys have to make such a big deal about game night?" Riley asked. "Because game night is sacred, Riley and Kayden. I know this is going to come as a shock to you, but there's gonna come a day where you start to prioritize friends over your family." Dad said with a chuckle.

"What?" Riley said, sarcastically. "No." I said, with the same sarcastic tone. The door to the apartment opened and Maya walked in. "Did you tell them yet? Did he freak? Did they tell you yet? Did you freak? Show me what you did. Freak out for me." Maya said walking closer to us. "Why would I freak out? I don't freak out." Dad denied, looking out Mom. "What did you do?!" Dad asked us, freaking out.

The front door opened once again, this time Josh and Auggie walked in. "Family game night, now with extra family." Auggie announced. "Well hello." Maya greeted flirtatiously, twirling a piece of her hair. "Well hello." Auggie greeted back mimicking Maya. "Auggie didn't want to miss game night. We never made it out of the city. Oh here's your money." Uncle Josh explained, handing Dad some money.

"Hey, this is a dollar. I gave you a hundred." Dad said. "With that kind of money, you think we're not gonna buy steaks?" Uncle Josh questioned. "Thank you, papa." Auggie stated, patting his stomach. "You know what?" Dad asked. He stood up. "My brother." He said. "My brother." Uncle Josh said and they hugged. "Listen you're here for game night. You're family, you're in." Dad told Uncle Josh.

The intercom buzzed. "Farkle." Farkle said. "And Lucas." Lucas said. Riley and I got up and walked over to the intercom. I pressed the button. "Come on up." Riley said. "Riley, shnookums, Kayden, bubba." Dad said coming over to us. "Um, you're gonna have to start to prioritize what's more important to you, your family?" Dad motioned back to the table. "Or your friends?" Dad said motioned to the door.

"There is only one right answer." He told us. "Why do we...." Riley started. "Wrong answer." Dad said. "....have to choose between..." I continued. "Wrong answer." Dad said. "I love my friends and I want to hang out with my friends." Riley said. There was a knock on the door and Riley moved over to answer the door. "Welcome to family game night, friends." Riley said. "Wrong, wrong, wrong answer." Dad said.

********

"Get rid of them." Dad ordered me and Riley. We were standing by the counter in the kitchen. "Why do you have to be you all the time?" I asked. "You think it's easy?" Dad asked us before he turned to look at Mom. "Say goodbye to your daughter and son, honey. They have chosen their friends over her family." He said to her. "Why can't we just play with their friends?" Mom asked. "Because Topanga, the second they allowed Dr. Turtleneck and Mr. Howdy into our household, our family was compromised by interlopers." Dad explained.

Riley and I moved over to sit down at the table with everyone else. "Maybe we could just come back another time." Lucas said. "Oh, yeah, we don't have walls. I told you we needed walls, Topanga." Dad said, looking at Mom, "Dr. Turtleneck, I presume." Uncle Josh said shaking Farkle's hand. "How could you tell?" Farkle asked. "Oh, because... you just seem like a doctor to me." Uncle Josh told him. "Thank you." Farkle said. "Thank you." Uncle Josh said.

"And you must be..." He started, looking at Lucas. "Howdy." Lucas told him shaking his hand. "See this. The family game. The game for families. Not the friends' game, a game for friends. I saw that game. I didn't buy that game. I bought this one because I used to have a family. How could they choose their friends over us? I mean did they burp them? Did they changer her diapers?" Dad said, standing on the couch. "We haven't yet, but we will when they're old." Farkle said.

"Speak for yourself, honey. I know that I have absolute love and loyalty of my children who like me fine and always will." Mom said, sitting next to Riley and I. "Everyone's here, Everyone plays." Riley said. "Cory, flipping out is only gonna make things worse. Do you really want to drive them away?" Mom asked Dad.

"Yeah dad. It's like what you were teaching today." I said, and Riley and I stood on the couch with him. "I was teaching about the America Revolution, Kayden. How is this anything like the American Revolution? How?" Dad asked. "Let's think."I said, And we turned, put our hands on our chin, and thought back to earlier that day.