Chapter 3

It was three long days of traveling to get to the Hidden Leaf Village. I didn't want to walk the whole way, so I flew onto Gaara's head the last day. I could tell that it annoyed him, but I had done it before. He knew that if he took me off I would find a way to get back on. Besides, it also made him happy that I wasn't scared to annoy him, even if he didn't show it.

We came to the gates of the Leaf and got our visitor's passes. Baki took Gaara with him to go do something, so I explored Konoha with Kankuro and Temari.

"Hey, Kankuro, when are you gonna run into Konohamaru? I want to meet Naruto. Maybe I can act like I can smell if someone is a jinchuriki. I wonder what they will think of me. Hey, I smell barbeque. Can we get some?" I chattered away. After sniffing out were the scent came from, I say down in front of a restaurant.

"Nice job, Kira. We were just starting to get hungry." Temari said.

We entered the place, but I was kicked out. Apparently, dogs weren't allowed. Kankuro told me that they'd bring me leftovers, but I just shook my head and ran off. I sniffed out a place with a high concentration of dog and found the Inuzuka compound. Maybe they would have something good to eat.

"Hello, anybody there?" I called out. Akamaru and Kiba found me quickly.

"Hey, are you lost?" Akamaru asked.

"No, I'm just hungry. The stands around here don't serve dogs like at home." I answered him. "Who are you guys, anyway? I'm Kira."

"I'm Kiba, and this is Akamaru." Kiba said. "I could take you back to my house and give you something."

"Yes please. Are you an Inuzuka?"

"Yea, how did you know?" Kiba asked as we walked.

"Well, I'm a ninja wolf. I was trained by Rin Inuzuka. He was the only human to understand me before. And, because you understand me, you must be an Inuzuka." That made me sound a lot smarter than if I told him that he was in an anime I liked to watch. It was also more believable.

We arrived at Kiba's house soon after I said this. Kiba gave me some of Akamaru's dog food. It was surprisingly good. Kiba or whoever made this, maybe Hanna, was talented. While I ate, I talked some with Akamaru and Kiba. I hurried, though, because I wanted to meet Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke.

As soon as I was done, I excused myself, saying that I needed to find my person before the chunnin exams. I sniffed out Temari by her perfume. It was a Suna product, custom made. When I got there, I saw Kankuro holding Konohamaru in a choke-hold.

I barked at him, "You just wait! Gaara will be here in a little while and then you'll be sorry. Picking on little kids, you should be ashamed of yourself."

"There you are!" Temari yelled, picking me up. "Do you know how angry HE would be if we lost you. And Kankuro, HE could be back anytime. You should stop."

"He's not here," Kankuro dismissed.

"Whatever happens is on you then."

I wiggled my way out of Temari's hands while Sakura was apologizing. I ran over to Naruto and introduced myself, not that he understood me. Temari looked at me, surprised. The only other time I had done this was when I first met Gaara. 

Naruto yelled for Kankuro to put Konohamaru down, running at him when he didn't listen. I sensed Sasuke in a tree and flew up to him while the others were distracted.

"Hey Sasuke! Just to let you know, when you leave the village, I'll come with Gaara to bring you back, and then I'll Electric Bite your leg. But, until then, let's be friends."

He looked over at me, saying "Hn."

"That's not even a word!"

He was watching Kankuro, but not doing anything yet. To get him started, I flew back down and brought him up two small rocks. Then I nudged him and looked pointedly at Kankuro. He smirked, and threw one at him, making him bleed. 

I flew onto Kankuro's head, threw back my head, and howled for Gaara. Kankuro knew he would show up soon after that. He dropped Konohamaru and went to attack Sasuke before he arrived.

Gaara stopped him before he got too far with just one word: "Kankuro." While Kankuro was trying to avoid getting into trouble, I ran up to Gaara and jumped into his arms.

"Shut up, or I'll kill you." He interrupted Kankuro, which I was kind of happy about. Kankuro was lying shamelessly. Gaara teleported to Kankuro and Temari.

"Quit goofing of. We're here for a reason, remember. Baki wants us."

He turned to leave, putting me on his head, when Sasuke interrupted us. I think Sakura was too confused by the fact that a puppy with wings was on Gaara's head to ask her questions, which probably made her seem smarter to the siblings.

"Hey, you, what's your name?" Sasuke asked.

"Who, me?" Temari said.

"Why are all the girls except Hinata in love with Sasuke? He doesn't like any of you, you know. Teenage female ninjas seem kind of shallow in this world. I can see why Sasuke doesn't like any of you." I ranted, no-one understanding.

"No, you. With the annoying dog."

"What! I'm annoying! Watch out buddy! I'll sneak up on you in the forest and bite you early."

"I'm Gaara of the Sand, and she's Kira. I'm also curious about you."

"I'm Sasuke. Sasuke Uchiha."

"You could have just said your name once. We still would have got it." I replied, snarky.

We left soon after that. Gaara put me down and let me explore on my own for a few hours. I didn't like Baki. He isn't a dog person, let's put it that way. I was an unwanted extra. 

I do have fun with him, though. I'd shock him, and no one would know it was me. He'd stomp of looking for who did it, but could never find them. His face can turn the funniest shade of red.

Gaara seemed to want to avoid trouble. He just wanted to finish this and go back home. While they were chatting/planning, I went in search of Naruto. I ran off, ignoring the stares I got. I was used to them in the Sand, too.

 It was easy to find Naruto. He smelled like dirty clothes and ramen. That, and he was at Ichiraku's, the first place I looked. I sat at his feet, cocking my head and whining. He seemed to get the message.

"Oh, hi there. Do you want some of my ramen?"

I wagged my tail and barked in answer. He giggled. Now that I think about it, most animals don't like Naruto either, like that demon cat Torra. He must have been happy for the company.

"Ok then, I'll get some for you. Hey, Old Man, can I have a small miso ramen in a dog bowl, please. This puppy wants some."

"Sure thing, Naruto. Coming right up."

I flew up into Naruto's lap to wait for the food. He looked at me, curious about my wings and purple markings.

"Hey, how'd you get those?" He asked me, seeming to forget that, even if I did know, he wouldn't understand my answer.

"Who knows?" I answered, sadly. I dropped my head, my ears drooped, and I stopped wagging my tail. Naruto could tell I was sad.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you, you know. Hey look, your ramen's done." He said to distract me.

It worked, and soon I was happily sitting there, eating ramen with Naruto. I ate way less than he did, only one bowl to his 50. One thing I never could understand on the show was how Naruto wasn't fat.

When he left, I followed him. He just went home, though. I decided to go introduce myself to some other people from the show. I smelled Shikamaru nearby, so I went to go see him. He was laying down on a hill, looking at clouds. 

I hadn't been able to catch up on my lack of sleep from the past three days of traveling, so I just curled up next to him to take a nap. The last thing I was conscious of was Shikamaru reaching over and starting to pet me.