Chapter 19

----------- A/N ------------

Would you look at that!! Kira's first fanart!!! Thanks!

_______________________________________

"What do you want to know? I'll answer whatever I can."

Gaara asked his first question right away. "If you really are human and have 'special knowledge', why did you choose me? Both of my siblings wanted you to be their pet as well, but you chose me when you must have known that I was the village pariah and a murderer. Why would you do that?"

That came as a surprise for me, even though it shouldn't have. He wasn't angry or upset that I didn't tell him. His insecurities had popped up instead. He must still believe he's not worthy of happiness. Well, that would have to change right now.

"I chose you BECAUSE I knew what you were like. You were a child who was lonely and hurting. I also knew what you would become. I knew you would become the Kazekage and a leader everyone would look up to. I knew that you would rise above their hatred and Shukaku's bloodlust and become an amazing person. So, I chose you, and promised to myself that I would help you along the way."

As I was talking, Gaara stared at me in disbelief. Then, as I continued with my little speech, he started crying. As soon as I stopped talking, he knelt down and hugged me.

"Thank you so much." He said, with an unusual amount of emotion in his voice. "You've been there for me almost all my life, giving up sleep and so much else just to stay with me. I don't know what my life would've been like without you, but it certainly would have been darker and more painful. I love you, Kira."

"I love you too, Gaara. And, trust me, it was worth it for me, too. If I could go back and change my choice, I wouldn't have." I licked Gaara cheek, then hugged him with my head the best I could. It helped that I had grown, and was half as tall as he was.

Suddenly, the door to the room we were in opened, and Temari walked in. "I heard that you guys were here, are you o ... k ... Am I interrupting something?"

Gaara stood up quickly and wiped his eyes. "No. We just came to verify some information we received from the Leaf."

"Oh, what was it?"

"Kira's a human."

Temari stared at him like he was crazy.

"What are you talking about? She's obviously a wolf. What made them think she was human?"

"Her blood is completely human and she is related to most of the existing and destroyed clans. The Third Hokage came to the conclusion that someone used a forbidden jutsu on her."

"Oh Kira, that's terrible. It must have been so hard, being treated like a pet when you're just as human as the rest of us."

"Sometimes it was, but it also helped. Most of the people I fought severely underestimated me because of it. They also didn't care if I watched them fight, which helped me with my Kekkei Genkai."

"You have a Kekkei Genkai?" Gaara asked.

"Yeah. It's a Dojutsu that no one else that I've seen has. I'm not sure what to call it." (I'm really not sure what to call it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm planning on having a name posted just after the Sasuke Retrieval Arch where they go to the bridge with Sai.)

"What does it do?"

"It lets me copy jutsus as well as some Kekkei Genkai." The stage I unlocked after the Kimimaru incident let me copy people's nature release Kekkei Genkai, like wood release and Kimimaru's bone style. "They still take a good bit of chakra, though. I need to train more so I can use it."

After this revelation, life went on mostly the same. There were some bigger changes, though. Instead of my kekkei genkai training being private, I trained with Gaara, Kankuro, and Temari, all of whom were surprised at how powerful I was. 

Another big change was that Gaara put an extra futon in his room for me. It must have been strange for him, knowing that the dog he snuggled with to help him sleep was really a person. He would still blush every time I followed him to our room.

Another big change was the way I was treated by the villagers. Where before they would ignore me or glare at me, most to their looks now were pitying. They also went out of their way to help me and tried to understand what I was saying when I tried to talk to them. I helped them out more too. A flying wolf can reach many things normal people can't.

I was allowed to do more missions now, though I still spent most of my time protecting Gaara. Every month, I had to travel to the Leaf to meet up with Lady Tsunade in hope that she could find out how to turn me back. Because of this, Sakura became another person who knew my secret. She often went out of her way to get me Ichiraku's ramen while I was there after she learned how much I liked it.

Also because of my frequent visits to Konoha, I became friends with the rest of the Leaf ninjas, even sparing with some of the Inuzuka hounds and Kakashi. 

When Lady Tsunade learned of my kekkei genkai, she was surprisingly ok with it. She did put something about it in the new Sand Leaf treaty, though. It was agreed that I would never use my abilities to attack the Leaf, and that I was allowed to be called on as backup Naruto protection if they ever needed it. Neither Gaara nor I had any problems with this. As Naru's friends, we wanted him to stay safe just as much as she did.

As time went on, I grew stronger and taller quickly. By the time another year had passed, I had grown to be as tall as Gaara. We worked together better than ever, and soon I was made ambassador to the Leaf with Temari. I didn't like this, because it ment I would be gone from the village when Gaara was attacked, but I couldn't stop that, anyway. It had to happen so Gaara could prove how strong he truly is and can be proven once and for all that the people in his village really do care about him.

Time passed quickly, and all too soon Naruto was in Lady Tsunade's office when Shika showed Temari and me in.