Chapter 21

More fanart!!! You people are awesome! 

----------------------------------

When I woke up again, it was almost time for everyone to go. Temari had come into my room a few minutes later, and walked with me to the gates. I flew there quickly, impatient to leave. Gaara might have needed this, but that doesn't mean I had to like it. I waited for the whole Temari coming issue to be resolved, itching to go.

As soon as it was settled, I took off out the gates with the rest of the group. I could smell Gaara's scent, and stayed a little ahead Naru, ignoring the conversation behind me. 

We kept going almost nonstop for the entire day, and I stayed up with Naruto that night, second guessing myself. The pain Gaara was going through right now wasn't worth it. Neither was imprisoning Shukaku into the Gedo statue. I was stupid and someone else was paying for it, as usual.

I didn't eat anything that day or the next. We took off first thing in the morning, and kept going until we were interrupted by Itachi. Another person I was determined to save, Itachi Uchiha, who I usually just call 'Tachi in my head.

Kakashi ordered me to stay beck and let them handle it. They'd need my nose later. And so, I was stuck on the sidelines again. Oh well, at least I'll have more energy for the fight against Deidara and Sasori later. They could beat this weaker version of him, anyway. So, I agreed and left it to them.

As soon as Naru beat him, we left again. The constant travel and lack of food was getting to me, but I hadn't had any way to bring some and no one else thought of it. I fell farther behind than I started out, but still kept up with Naruto. I was determined to make it there and help out in some way. This was all my fault, and I'd fix it any way I could.

I was so focused on what I could do and how I could help that I only focused back on the present after I heard a loud booming noise. The first thing I saw was Sakura smashing the boulder to smithereens. I quickly rushed in, followed by the others.

Now, knowing that Gaara would die and actually seeing him there dead are two totally different things. As soon as I saw Gaara on the ground, my vision started turning red. I tried to calm down, thinking of what I knew would happen, but could only focus on the now, on the body of the man I loved lying there cold and stiff.

The fact that Deidara was sitting on him only made it worse. I couldn't even hear what they were saying anymore. The blood rushed to my head and red overpowered my vision. Then, I heard some white noise and my vision blanked.

------------ 3rd POV -------------

As Naruto yelled for Gaara to wake up, Kira just stood there, seeming in shock. Then, her face twisted with rage and her wolf form was surrounded with her special lavender chakra. Nine small balls of dark, malevolent chakra rushed toward her. Most of them were from outside, but one came from Naruto and the Gedo statue.

In a flash of light, they slammed into her, filling the room with dust. As it cleared, Kira could be plainly seen, surrounded in a glowing, reddish purple chakra coat. It quickly grew larger, and gave her nine more tails as well as covering her own.

"The Ten Tails!" Deidara breathed in awe.

Then, she attacked.

Deidara quickly had his claw bird scoop up Gaara and escape outside. He was followed immediately by Kira and Naruto. After a short deliberation, Kakashi followed them as well. He needed to find a way to get a suppression seal on Kira, or they all might fall prey to her rage.

Kira, on the other hand, wasn't thinking at all. She was a mindless beast with only one purpose: to kill Deidara. The chakra cloak overrode her fatigue and hunger. She was fueled by pure rage, guilt, and sorrow. She quickly flew after the object of her hatred, dodging small explosives and shooting fireballs at him.

She caught up with him quickly, even though he was going much faster than the first time. (This time he was trying to escape, while in the show he was trying to lure away Naruto) As soon as she did, Kira ripped the wing off the bird, sending electricity through it while she was doing so. This unconscious act stopped the clay explosive from working, sending Deidara crashing to the ground.

The enraged wolf-girl followed immediately after, snapping at him so quickly that he barely managed to dodge. As he kept her busy with more explosives, all the while retreating, Naruto and Kakashi made it to the crash site. Naruto dug Gaara out of the head, depressed that he couldn't save him.

Naruto's anger spiked, and he started leaking red chakra, too. Before he could get taken over too much, Kira and Deidara were back in the clearing. 

This surprised Naruto, and distracted him enough to let Kuruma's chakra dissipate. Kira didn't look like the kind, gentle, intelligent wolf he knew her as. Instead, she looked like any other mindless beast.

Is that what I look like when the Nine Tails takes over? That looks like the incarnation of anger and hate: all things wrong in the world, not my friend.

"Naruto, help me get this seal on her forehead!" Kakashi yelled at him, snapping him out of his thoughts.

Kakashi helped distract her while Naruto snuck up on her. Kira didn't even sense Naruto as a threat, his scent was already considered friendly, so he managed to get the suppression seal on her quickly and without injury. 

The chakra and tails disappeared, making her pass out. Kakashi and Naruto took over the task of defeating Deidara while she was incapacitated.