Chapter14

For the last few weeks of the month, I didn't do very much. I mostly hung out with Gaara, keeping an eye on him at the same time. He was getting more and more edgy and irritable the closer the full moon got. I could sense Shukaku's bloodlust overwhelming him.

 At times like this, everyone else stayed away from us. At this point in Gaara's life, that was a good thing. He hadn't gotten to where he could ignore the tailed beast yet.

I didn't spend all my time with Gaara, though. I checked in on Naruto and Pervy Sage every so often, and watched clouds with Shika too. I also met Sakura again, who I ended up having to run away from. 

Now that we weren't busy fighting Oreomaru and his minions, she had decided that I was a bundle of cuteness she had to hug. She nearly made me deaf with her squeals of how "sweet and cute and adorable" I was. This is why I tend to hang out with guys more right now. They are usually a lot quieter. 

Choji and I also hung out some. We didn't really do that much, but he shared some of his chips with me. I guess that meant we were friends.

What was the most fun was practicing my sneaking skills by trying to get into the Hyuga compound to meet Hinata. The clan members guarding it were very observant, and kept on catching me. It took me several days of hard work and chakra control practice to sneak by them. I had learned a very useful new trick. I could now suppress all of my chakra to where even a Hyuga couldn't see it.

When I had finally managed to sneak past them, I sniffed out Hinata's scent, finding her quickly and easily. She was in her room, heavily bandaged. I whined, getting her attention, then jumped up onto her bed with her. 

I might be able to heal her more than the medic ninjas could. I was able to use Lady Tsunade's mystic palm technique, which was more powerful than normal medical jutsus.

 It worked very well. Hinata was able to sit up now, and looked at me, wide eyed. Then she tried to bow down slightly, stuttering out a thank you.

"Don't worry about it. That jutsu didn't use up too much of my chakra. Besides, I want to be your friend." I nodded while I was talking so she could see I understood. All the sneaking and then healing her as well made me very tired. I curled up beside her for a short nap.

When I woke up again, I could feel someone staring at me. Opening my eyes, I looked around to see who it was, only to come face to face with Hiashi Hyuga. I blinked in surprise. 

Uh oh, busted. I got up, yawning, and stretched before turning to see what he wanted. When he didn't say anything, I cocked my head at him.

"How did you get in here?" He asked in a low, angry voice.

"I suppressed my chakra so much that it can't be seen or sensed." I answered, showing him. When he couldn't sense my chakra, he activated his byakugan, but still couldn't see it.

"How can you do that? Is it a kekkei genkai? Do you even know?"

I shook my head, answering most of his questions at the same time.

"Why did you come here in the first place?"

I turned away from him when he asked that, pointing to Hinata with my nose. 

"I came to check on Hinata and see if we could be friends. I healed her while I was here. You should be thanking me, not interrogating me."

"I will alert the gate guards that you are allowed in the compound from now on, but you need to leave. It's getting late." With that, he left. 

That went better than I thought it would. I didn't even get punished. I left then, not wanting Hiashi to retract his invitation.

And that was how I first met Hinata and Hiashi. Those past few weeks went by quickly. Then, the day before the test came up. That was the day that Gaara threatened Shika, Naru, and Lee. As usual, I was with Gaara. 

When his sand started going toward Lee, I just left it. Naru and Shika would show up soon. And they did, with while putting Gaara in the shadow possession jutsu.

I jumped away from him, sitting on the bed with Lee. While they were busy talking about the past, I focused some of my chakra into Lee, blocking out their conversation in favor of healing Lee some. 

When I zoned back in, I frowned. Gaara had a slightly different story than in the anime. He didn't say that he was always alone, and, instead of saying that he loves only himself, he said his kanji is a reminder to love only me. WHAT? Did I really influence him that much? That was more that I had hoped for.

Then, something else stood out to me. He loves me? I mean, I knew he worried, but I thought that might have been because the Sand didn't stop me from touching him and he could tolerate me. 

I felt my face heat up and knew that, if I was human right now, they would all be seeing me blushing right now. This is another good thing about being a wolf. Most people can't tell when you get embarrassed.

Then, I noticed that they had stopped talking again and Gaara had started attacking Lee. Once again, I didn't bother stopping him. As I expected, Guy jumped in through the window, stopping him. 

I glanced out the window. How had Guy gotten up here? We were on the fourth floor, and the outside wall was smooth with no cracks. And I don't think he could use chakra. Anime logic? I sometimes don't think it exists.

Gaara and I left afterwards. At first, Gaara was clutching his head, remembering Yashamaru, but then he stopped and picked me up instead. Shukaku must have started bugging him. 

For some reason, I calm Shukaku down, and sometimes get him to leave Gaara alone. Maybe it has something to do with why I'm an animal right now. I'll ask Wolf Gramps next time I see him. Maybe that's one of the few questions he can answer.