Chapter 24

I woke up bright and early the next morning, a result of catching Gaara's insomnia. When I went outside, I was surprised to see that Sai was also awake. 

He hadn't started his picture yet, but he was getting out his drawing supplies. With a yawn, I padded over to him and played down beside him, curling up around his back.

Just like Gaara, Sai wasn't a bad person. He was just confused and needed friends. And so, I would help him like I did every other lonely, lost person I met here, by being his friend, well, as much as I could while I was a wolf.

Sai stared at me, confused, until he shrugged and started drawing. Later, when Sakura showed up, after their conversation about emotions (or lack thereof), Sakura asked him what he did to get me to like him so quickly.

"What are you talking about?" He questioned monotonously. "This is the first time I've met her."

"Of, you must be one of those people then."

"What people?" Oh Sai, always bored.

"Kira is ... special. She knows a person's past and future just by looking at them. She always seems to gravitate toward people with a sad past, but a bright future." She took a breath, then continued.

"She chose to stay with Gaara even though he was unstable at the time, and he became the Kazekage. She also liked Naruto right away, and he saved the village from Gaara shortly after. Kira also always was weary of Kabuto, and he was a Sound ninja spying on the Leaf. People can usually tell who to trust by how Kira acts around them."

Wow, was I really giving away that much? If so, what would Sakura and Naruto think when Sai betrayed them? They would have to know that I knew he would do this, but still got close to him. Hopefully they would see this as a sign that Sai switches sides later instead of seeing it as a betrayal from me.

All too soon, Naruto and Yamato came, saying it was time to leave. I walked along with them this time, growling at whoever insulted someone else in the group. Because of this, the rest of the journey was uneventful. I shared a room with Sakura again in Yamato's wooden house.

We agreed that I would work on wood style with Yamato on the way home, when we had the time to take it slower. Instead, I worked more on Haku's ice style, trying to recreate the Demonic Crystal Ice Mirrors. 

It was slow going, but Naruto helped me out as much as he could. Not that he could help out very much. I almost had it, but still needed to get faster.

"Hey, Sai, can I borrow some of your ink guys to practice against? I could use the help." 

Sai's ink guys might not be as strong as Naru's shadow clones, but I was trying to get the ice senbon I was using to freeze whatever blood touches it. I'm is a liquid, so I could use them as practice dummies.

Sakura translated what I said to him. They were taking turns being my translator, and it was her turn. I could tell just by looking at him that Sai didn't really want to waste his chakra like this, but agreed, seeing how my training could be helpful in the future. I worked at it until everyone aren't to bed, managing to freeze the ink about an inch around the senbon by that time.

The next day, Yamato had me practice on my own while they ran through their own practice for tomorrow. Since there was no one around to hurt, I used the corrosive mist that Mei was known for. Isobu helped me with it, his previous jinchuriki had fought Mei when she took over the Mist.

Because Isobu helped train me, the others wanted to as well, and trained me in using their chakra until I could distinguish who's was who's and summon it at will. They trained me until I could summon their tails as well, though I looked quite strange with the extra tails.

The next day, everyone quickly went into position, with me in the sky as extra backup. The wind was blowing in my direction so I could smell everyone, but not hear them. Fortunately, I already knew what was going on.

When Sai flew off and let Sakura fall, I fought her and dropped her off with Yamato. I nodded at him, then flew off after Sai. I stayed far enough behind them that they couldn't see me, then camouflaged myself and followed them into the hideout.

I stayed out of the room Sasuke was in, not wanting to risk him seeing me with his Sharingan, but followed Sai to his room. I sat there, waiting for the others to show up. Then, I had an awesome idea. I'd totally freak Sai out.

I paced around the room, letting the floorboards creek, then fluttered my wings, making the candle flicker. Sai glanced around the room suspiciously. 

When nothing else happened, he set down his pack and took out the bingo book. It was then that I used my claws to make a deep scratch in the wall, heading toward him. He jumped, getting out his tanto, before sliding into a defensive stance. 

I snickered quietly in amusement, which seemed to scare him more. I couldn't help it after that, I let go of my camouflage and rolled around on the floor, laughing. He didn't relax his stance, eying me warily.

I just grinned at him, jumping up on his bed and laying down, taking up the whole thing. Yamato and the others burst in then, grabbing Sai and taking him out of the room with them. Yamato looked at me then, asking me if I was coming with them.

"No thanks. I'll just poke around here. He's here, anyway."

I couldn't say that Sasuke was here using his name. I didn't know if Naru or Sakura had taken one of my pills. Yamato knew what I meant, anyway. He nodded at me, then left, following the others.

As soon as they were gone, I made myself invisible again and wandered around. I waited until I heard the explosion signaling that Sasuke had woken up before running in that direction.

I arrived just in time to jump between Sakura and Sai, growling at Sakura. She'd gone farther than in the show, and was about to punch him. Sasuke waited until she jumped away from me before talking.

"Sakura, Kira. I see you're here too."