Chapter 25

I immediately switched from standing between Sai and Sakura to standing in front of them in a defensive posture. I snarled at him, hackles raising. I might not hate him, but I still do not like him. And, at this point in time, I didn't trust him at all. Naruto and Yamato ran out of the tunnels behind me, stopping to look at Sasuke with us.

"Ah, and Naruto showed up as well. It's a team reunion."

I glared at him, watching for when he attacked Naruto. As soon as the people around me finished talking about Sai and whether he betrayed us or not, Sasuke jumped down to attack Naruto. I stopped him before he could reach Naru. I wouldn't bother trying to defeat him, but my mission was to protect Naruto.

I flew in between the two of them, biting Sasuke's arm and pulling him down to the ground with me. He slammed into it hard and grunted in pain. I sent a painful jolt of electricity through him, fulfilling my promise to do so after he left Konoha. In retaliation, he activated his sharingan, putting a genjutsu on me.

I opened my eyes and looked around. I was back in the sewer section of my mind that contained the Biju. The light was too dim to see them, but I could see Sasuke standing in front of me. He was staring at me in confusion. We were in my mind, so he saw me in my human form.

"Who are you? How did I get here?"

"I'm Kira. This is what I really look like, or did before. I woke up one morning a wolf with a lot of missing memories."

He just kept staring at me. Then, when he spoke, I didn't expect what he said. "Do you want me to see if I can undo it? My sharingan has unique abilities."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Why would you do that? What's in it for you?"

"I don't know why, but something is telling me that I have to help you."

"If you think you can, I would greatly appreciate it."

Sasuke studied me and the surroundings with his sharingan before answering.

"It looks like someone put a simple seal on you to keep you in this form. You might come from a clan that could shapesgift or something, because it just says 'seal' and 'stasis'. If someone other than you puts chakra into it, it should break."

My jaw dropped as I stared at him in shock. "That's all! This whole time, I just needed someone else to give me their chakra!"

With my luck, it would have been something simple like this. I could have been a person this whole time. I got snapped out of my thoughts when Sasuke started walking toward the wall behind me.

I followed, seeing the swirled designs on the wall (pic at top). Sasuke pushed his chakra into it, and the world around me disappeared. Before everything went black, I heard Sasuke say "See you on the other side, Kaida."

I woke up on the ground, eating dirt. How had Sasuke known that name? I'd never told him about it. Deciding to figure it out later, I pushed myself up off the ground and sat down, strangely tired.

Panting, I looked around me, noticing that some time had passed since I attacked Sasuke. Orochimaru and Kabuto were standing at the top of the crater, looking down at us.

I stood up, leaning heavily on a piece of ceiling. It was then that I noticed I was human. I looked down at myself, surprised to see that I hadn't aged at all since I had appeared in the desert. That must have been what the stasis part of the seal was for.

"It worked! Thank you so much, Sasuke!"

With that exclamation, everyone turned their attention to me. Team 7 pulled out their weapons, watching me with suspicion.

Great, just how I wanted everyone to react, with suspicion. Whatever. Later, I'm going to throw a party and eat all the sweets I couldn't while I was a dog.

"Who are you? Are you one of Orochimaru's people?" Yamato asked.

"No, I'm Kira. Sasuke found a deal in my mind when he put me under the genjutsu and undid it, turning me into a person again."

Naru's face lit up. "See, you still do care about others! You helped Kira."

"I was repaying a debt. She helped me in the forest, attacking Orochimaru and later giving me chakra to help with the pain of the curse seal. I don't leave debts unpaid. Our bond made when I owed her is now broken, since I no longer owe her anything."

I shook my head at him. That's not what he said earlier. Eh, I don't really care, anyway. Sasuke, Orochimaru, and Kabuto left in a circle of flames after he was done talking.

"Come on, let's go." Yamato said with a sigh. "There's nothing more we can do here."

Before Naru could get too depressed, I jumped on his back. He tensed, reaching down for his weapons pouch before relaxing some.

"That completely wore me out. Who knew having a deal on me undone would be so tiring? Can you carry me for a while, Naru?"

"Um ... sure?" He grabbed onto my legs to help me stay up. As they left, I heard him mumbling under his breath. "Naru? Since when has that been my nickname? Well, I guess it's ok. No one's ever given me a nickname before."

I decided to mess with him some. "Good, then I'll just keep on calling you that." I answered with a yawn.

He almost dropped me in surprise. "Y-You could hear me?"

"Yeah. Don't worry about it. You can give me a nickname too if you want to. You are a good friend of mine, after all."

"Ok then. I'll find you the best nickname ever."

Naru took on an expression of deep thought even I could see, and I could only see half of his face. I closed my eyes and relaxed further while he was thinking. I was almost asleep when he said "Kaida."

"What?" I asked through a yawn.

"Your nickname is going to be Kaida. Like from when you attack people by blowing a fire ball at them. You look like a little dragon."

Why were so many people calling me that now? It wasn't my name now or before I arrived. Well, I'm bound to find out. Most likely after a dramatic failure or death, if the show continues like it did. You always find out more information after someone dies.