Chapter 17

By the time I was all healed up, it was already time to leave the Leaf. All Sand shinobi were leaving quickly. We wanted to re-earn trust and make a new alliance, but it would take time. The Leaf ninja would definitely not let us stay any longer, even after it was proven that Oreomaru tricked us. As a result, I wasn't able to go to Gramps Hokage's funeral.

The Sand was not without it's own grief. Many friends and family members were killed in a pointless battle. Surprisingly, instead of being angry at the Leaf for killing their comrades, the Sand blamed Oreomaru and the Sound. It was a nice turn of events.

Because of Naruto's influence, Gaara decided to start trusting people. He joined the shinobi who fight on the front lines, trying to prove that he had changed. To honor Naruto, he decided to become the Kazekage. 

If two jinchuriki could be village leaders, maybe other countries would see their jinchuriki as more than just weapons. I followed him in all his decisions, making sure that he would stay safe from both the enemy and his allies.

A few months later, the council received an urgent message from the Leaf. Sasuke had defected the village, and they needed help bringing him back. Finally, the Sasuke Retrieval Arch had come.

 Eager to prove their ties with the Leaf were strong, they sent the Sand Sibling team. They hoped that trusting the Leaf with their jinchuriki would show them that they had changed, and would not break an alliance with them again.

Gaara, Temari, Kankuro, and I raced there as fast as we could. Somehow, we made the three day trip in only six hours (once again, anime logic is not logical). Splitting up, everyone ran of to save someone. 

When Gaara and I made it to Lee and Kimimaru's fight, Lee was very drunk and starting to lose. Neither of them noticed that we had arrived until Gaara saves Lee from being skewered with one of Kimimaru's bones.

"You rest, we'll handle this." Gaara told Lee, taking his place in front of Kimimaru.

Kimimaru shot bone bullets at us, which Gaara blocked. As Gaara focused of fighting, I worked on healing Lee. I might not be able to do very much for him (he still needed to adjust from his surgery), but I healed all the wounds he got from fighting Kimimaru.

By the time I was finished, Gaara had already almost finished his battle. Well, according to the anime, he would have. When I went up to Gaara's side to help him, Kimimaru attacked with a new vigour. Gaara was running out of chakra faster than he should have. He must have used a good bit more protecting Lee and me than if it was just Lee.

"Hey, bone boy, pick on someone with more chakra!" I yelled, flying in front of Gaara. I pushed him back some, trying to get him to let me take over the fight. Gaara understood, and gave me a chance. He kept him eye on me though, ready to step in if I needed help.

"Another weakling challenging Lord Orochimaru. I'll just have to crush you as well." Kimimaru said in a monotone voice. How does Oreomaru always manage to lure powerful people to his side? They must notice that he is just manipulating them.

"If you underestimate me, it's your funeral."

With that, we rushed at each other. I summoned my wolf pack to help me, warning them of Bone Boy's kekkei genkai. After responding with a "Yes, Lady Kaida!" They took off, helping me attack from all sides.

I had previously marked all of them with a Flying Thunder God seal, and was everywhere at once, sending lightning, fire, and wind techniques at Kimimaru. He could block the fire and wind, but my invisible lightning popping up in random places hit him every time.

"What's the matter? Now who's the weak one!" I taunted, knowing full well that he couldn't understand. Maybe he would get it, anyway.

Then, not too long into the fight, Kimimaru got too close to one of my wolves. She was young, almost still a pup, but old enough to be a warrior. This was her first battle with me, and she didn't have the evasion instincts ingrained enough yet. He was about to kill her!

In a moment of panic and with a rush of adrenaline, I flashed onto Kimimaru's back, biting his neck and sending thousands of bolts of electricity into him. He fell to the ground, undoubtedly dead. I got up off his back, swaying. I had been stabbed through the arm (well, front leg) with one of the bones on Kimimaru's back. My eyes were stinging as well, then the pain in them flared up to a roar. It felt like me eyes were on fire!

I stood there in a pain induced daze as my summons left and Gaara ran up, taking me off of Kimimaru's back. All I could focus on was that I had not kept my promise to electric bite Sasuke. Oh well, I could do that later. I was bound to run into him again.

Taking out some gauze from his pack, Gaara wrapped up my arm. The action brought me back to the world, and I focused some healing chakra into the would. Why do I keep getting injured badly in the storyline fights? At least this time I didn't need to go to the hospital.

The pain slowly faded, clearing my mind again. I wondered about the pain in my eyes. I hadn't been wounded there. Had I unlocked another stage of my kekkei genkai (pick at top) when I killed Kimimaru? Wait, I had killed Kimimaru! I hadn't killed anyone before! Guilt wracked my body. I had just killed someone.

 He might have been one of Orochimaru's lackeys and destined to die, but that didn't make it right! And it was instinctual, it hadn't taken any thought. How could I have killed without a thought? Did that make me a murderer at heart?

No! No. That's going too far. I was protecting my pack. I sighed, trying to calm myself. If I hadn't done anything, one of my charges would be dead. I had no other choice. I had to do it.

After I calmed myself, I noticed the Shizune and her team were here already. Temari and Kankuro were with them. After I was healed, we started back toward Suna, going at a much slower pace this time.