Chapter 37

I should have known that I wouldn't be able to stay out of the fight. Shortly after the reanimated Hokages arrived and Hashirama ignored Madara, which was just as hilarious as ever, Madara got bored of waiting for Hashirama and decided to entertain himself with me. Just in case, I sent away a shadow clone to gather nature energy for sage mode.

Hashirama's clones tried to help me, but, since each of them only held a small portion of his chakra, they were defeated quickly and easily. And then, all that was left was the two of us. I couldn't get any help, because the others were helping with the Juubi.

Madara was much more powerful than me at this point. I also couldn't use my full abilities in fear that he would steal my eyes after he becomes alive again. As I had already decided, I limited myself to elemental style and Shikotsumyaku, but started off with a wind style attack. With shaking hands betraying my fear, I formed the hand seals for Wind Style, Great Breakthrough.

Madara tried to overpower it with a Fire Ball Jutsu, but had underestimated me and ended up dodging the now much larger fire ball flying toward him.

"Ah, you are more powerful than I thought. I might just have to get serious. Those eyes are quite interesting, I look forward to taking them from you. An unknown dojutsu would be an advantage."

Great. He was already after my eyes. I guess my planning was for nothing. Oh well, might as well give my all. Well, except for any tailed beast modes. The Juubi might come after me too if he senses their chakra in me. I might need chakra, but I also needed my life, so I would have to use my eyes either way.

If I got too close to being beat, I could always use Itachi's or Shisui's mangekyo to kamui away. Or maybe I could use Izuna's (pic below). The shock might shake him enough that he is easier to defeat. Ordinarily, I would be against doing something so cruel, but in this case I'd take any edge I could get.

"You won't be getting them

"You won't be getting them. I have a backup plan in place for if you try. I'm flattered that you think I'm powerful enough for you to go all out, though."

He nodded, acknowledging my power, then raced at me. Taking that as a sign, we started a taijutsu battle, getting a feel for each other. Wordlessly, we both agreed to use the polite form of one on one shinobi fights, continuing our taijutsu fight for until it was obvious that the other could see and block every attack we made.

Then, we simultaneously jumped away from each other and starting to use ninjutsu. Neither of us were really using our kekkei genkai for anything but predicting each other's moves. We both wanted to measure up our opponent before moving on. Both of us had all five chakra natures, and had copied jutsus that allowed us to attack and counter each other with ease.

Unfortunately, Madara, as the older and more experienced shinobi, knew more jutsus than I did, especially the more powerful ones. I have a decent arsenal, more than Kakashi's, but my specialty was diverse kekkei genkai. Because of this, though we were evenly matched in taijutsu, I was hopelessly outclassed in ninjutsu.

It didn't seem like Madara was trying to kill me right then, though. I guessed it was because he was too curious about my kekkei genkai, and wanted to evaluate its usefulness. Either way, I got off relatively unscathed in the ninjutsu fight. I was a little burned, but that was to be expected when facing off against one of the Uchiha clan's many pyromaniacs.

And then, his eyes became harder, more serious, and I knew it was time to use my kekkei genkai. The first thing he did was use Amaterasu. I quickly made a wood style wall in front of me. He examined me more carefully now.

"Are you a Senju then? Only of Hashirama's relatives? Where did you get your eyes from, then. The Senju don't have a dojutsu."

"I'm not a Senju, but I took a blood test long ago that said I was related to the Senju ..." I was interupted at that point.

"Then you are a Senju! I might not like them, but even I'll acknowledge that they don't abandon their own. So then, why don't you consider yourself a Senju?"

He watched me expectantly, waiting for an answer.

"I might be related to the Senju clan, but I'm also related to almost every clan in existence, including the Uchiha. So no, I don't consider myself a Senju, nor an Uchiha, nor a member of any clan. Once I find out the rest of my heritage, then I'll label myself by clan."

"If you are related to both my clan and Hashirama's, then I have chosen a worthy opponent indeed. Let's see just how powerful you are."

After he said this, the rest of the wood from the wall burned away and the amaterasu disappeared. He created a susano, which I copied by copying his rinnegan. It might take me time to switch between kekkei genkai, but that talk had given me plenty of time.

Both of them only had two arms and swords, but that was enough for now. I want truely trying to beat Madara, after all, but only distract him. I might have a backup plan, but I was loath to use it, as it would use up more of my chakra. For now, matching him took up enough of my chakra.

It definately would have taken up too much if it wasn't for Sage mode. I only needed another few minutes until my clone would disperse, sending me the much needed nature chakra. I might be powerful and have a lot of chakra, but, as a reanimated shinobi, Madara had practically unlimited chakra. I wouldn't be able to defeat him or match him for too much longer without it.