1 | THE FIRST NIGHT

"it's either kill or be killed."

‣track one: Consume by Chase Atlantic

Scrubbing off the muck of food stained plates, the side of her laid stacks and stacks of the same replica of ceramics and she put in work—awkwardly hunching her back in wrong posture, bending her limbs over to essentially rid the debris off with a single overused sponge.

Her body will definitely ache the morning she wakes up and then prolong its aching in the entirety of the day from overworking in the weekend.

Allowing the water to run down the now squeaky clean ceramic disc, she finishes her last plate, completing her duty. Placing it carefully in the racks to air dry, she heaved a heavy sigh.

"Jennie," a voice from behind called to the girl, startling her in the process. She jumped in the air, holding her hand to her chest as if it will somehow cease her heart from pounding against her rib cage.

Turning around, she met eye to eye with the owner whom dressed in the same attire as she did.

Their ensemble was a brown apron covering the required white polo collar and any black bottoms.

The middle aged woman's facial features were defined with distinctive crow's feet at the sides of her eyes that complimented her warm smile. Her demeanor made her look a few years younger than her actual age. However, it did not mask the apparent exhaustion from her brown, dulling eyes, and the sliver of hair from turning gray.

"Jesus, you frightened me Mrs. Robinson." Blowing out another sigh from her succulent lips, she unraveled her own apron and stepped towards the employee's room with Mrs. Robinson following after her.

"Would you like a ride home, sweetie?  You stayed so late to help me finish closing." She leaned against the door frame, already finished undressing, waiting patiently for Jennie so she could lock up the diner.

Mrs. Robinson worked the cashier even if she owned the place. She knew Jennie as her son's friend and hired her despite her being underage, at least until for a few more days for her birthday was fast approaching.

Jennie reached up to her hair, fingering at the hair tie which tightly encased her hair in a high pony. Upon loosening it successfully, she let her soft brown waves cascade down her back, the tightness of the ponytail had created a slight crease and crimped her healthy hair, but with a simple fixing, she looked as she did when she clocked in for work in the afternoon.

"Oh no, I couldn't intrude you, Mrs. Robinson. I can probably still catch the last bus tonight." She flashed her a small smile, sliding the hair tie to her wrist and readied her sling bag, draping it over her body.