8 | HE WAS GOING TO EAT HER

"used to be the one to hold you when you fall"

In contrast to the darkness, his blonde hair served as the only light, filling the gloominess with hope that sparked within her, her eyes brightening in the process

Standing from her slouched position, her eyes adjusted to his form. He looked messy, sort of out of place and distraught. Her mouth closed into a thin line as she began to become skeptical of him.

Why was he here? Shouldn't he be at the diner? How could it possibly be mere coincidence that he knew where she was? It's not like he can reason out that they had stumbled upon each other through luck.

What was I doing here? She thought.

"I was just about to ask you. Why are you here, Mark?" She stood tall in her place, more confident than afraid.

Scoffing, he looked to the side as if offended by her sudden questioning. "You never showed up at the diner. My mom's too nice of a person to fire you." Carefully, he inched closer to her.

Not letting go of her pride, she put her chin up, ready to face a verbal argument with him. "So the first place you'll look for me is in the mountains?" Seeing as his blonde hair had made its way closer to her, her back met with the tree. She didn't even realize she was taking steps back until she felt the roughness of the tree bark against her own epidermis.

Faintly, he started humming.

At first it was indistinguishable, but she grew colder as his humming grew closer. Becoming cold was a feat which she didn't even think could happen for she felt numb already.

Intently watching him, he idly looked left and right, then cocked his head to the side. "Where's Taehyung?" he smirked, his normally charming pearly whites looking incredibly haunting in the given mood.

"I..." she pushed herself into the tree, as if willing herself to hide into it. Seeing her fumble, he continued to smirk at her, amused at obtaining the upper hand.

Inevitably, he had her trapped. Enclosing her with his two arms at either side of her, he allowed enough distance to inspect every detailed feature of her small structure in comparison to his own.

Brown eyes softening, he brought his mouth near her ear and whispered tauntingly. "Has he ever told you how amazing you smell? They say you smell more delightful when you're attracted to someone. . . I can't imagine how Taehyung feels."

She stood still as his warm breath hit her exposed nape, forcing her to gulp down nonexistent saliva. "I—I don't know what you're talking about."

Reaching his hand down, he grabbed her palm which had been unconsciously digging into the side of the tree. Inflicting a small scratch from the pressure, a droplet of her blood had smeared onto his own skin as he held dug his fingernails into their interlocked fingers into the air.

He eyed the bright red liquid as he brought his face close to examine it. Sniffing carefully as his eyes rolled back, he closed his lids, savoring the moment, allowing the smell to steep deep into his memory.

In attempts to break free from his grasp, she tried shaking him away, only to tighten his grip on her wrist.

"Taehyung might've allowed you to run away, but I won't." In swift motion, Mark snapped his head back in the same manner, widening his jaw as his teeth quickly shifted into sharp canines all around.

Jennie's eyes widened at the monstrosity. She had never seen a phenomenon as such—only ever in movies.

With a gasp, Jennie stumbled backwards, breaking free from him.

Rising to her feet quickly as he was distracted in transforming, her heels had prompted her to run away.

Her heels moving her before she could command them to, she was instantly slammed against a hard surface. A hard chest to her face, the sudden impact making her fall backwards into the ground again.

With a hand to her forehead, she glanced upwards to be met with dark brown orbs peering downwards at her.

"Taehyung," she breathed out.

With a look of solace, he gnawed the inside of his cheek before his deep voice pierced through the air. "I'm sorry, Jennie." Before she could register what was happening, he had lunged downward at her, exposing her skin as he sunk his teeth into her shoulder.

With a shrilling scream, Jennie squirmed at the pain as she heard her own skin being ruptured, the sucking sound as Taehyung slurped at her blood.

"Taehyung, please! Stop!"

With the poison slowly numbing her, her scream had halted midway, prompting her to lay still, her thoughts were the only thing she still had power over. She embedded the feeling and neediness into her brain.

The way Taehyung held onto her shoulders with shaking hands, how he held her in his arms, the subtle warm tears that hit her cold, exposed nape.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry Jennie."

With the last of her strength, she brought her hands up to feel his lonely back, her fingers feeling his thin clothing, grasping onto him as she felt herself nodding away into blackness. Closing her eyes, her hands that held him cast down to her side weakly. She wanted to tell him to stop, she wanted to go back to three days ago when things were normal.

Feeling her body go limp in his embrace, the thickly sweet blood had made a mess out of his mouth. Forcing himself to stop, he closed his eyes shut as he held Jennie into his lap.

He hiccupped as he used the back of his hand to wipe his dry stained face full of tears not long after, he wiped his bloody mouth with the same hand.

Forgetting Mark was there watching, he looked to him with disgust as he tenderly grazed his lengthy finger upon her small face.

"I didn't peg you as the dramatic type, Taehyung." Mark said as he shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket. "You really waited the last minute until you had to awaken her, didn't you?"

"Shut up Mark." Gently wiping off the remnants of blood from her neck wound, he brought his face again into her, licking at the skin until it no longer bled—only to leave punctured marks on her body.

With sadness pooling in his brown eyes, he brought her body into him again, picking her from behind her knees and supporting her upper body, princess carrying her as he effortlessly walked through the woods and back to his car.

"You should be thanking me!" Mark yelled after him, standing in his place as Taehyung carried an unconscious Jennie away. "Don't forget who we are, lover boy!"

"He'll be coming after her soon, and you'll be needing me!" Mark continued to call out despite Taehyung's ignorance.

Taehyung kept looking ahead and ignored Mark's pointless efforts to stir him. The only thoughts that were troubling him was the dreading moment she would wake up. He had to tell her everything, if she would let him. And then he would worry about everything else later.