24 | LOYAL

"So he's really back

"So he's really back."

Jungkook sat beside him, dozing off into the thickly fogged glass.

"We have to gather ghouls." He continued, as his companion poured himself another glass of whiskey.

"Don't be too impulsive, Jungkook." He replies, circling the rim of the glass with his index finger. "The council is plotting their rebellion against you." Gently but firmly grasping the glass, he clinks the ice around within it. "You have loyal pureblood followers—what's left of them at least, but even purebloods wont be strong enough against hundreds of the aristocrats, including those of the council."

Bringing the glass to his lips, he drinks the whiskey, the golden liquid going down his throat.

Jungkook stands, making his way through to stand before the glass window, contemplating his next actions.

"I have to let the council believe they're fighting ghouls made by him."

"Are you sure it's him?" Yoongi replied, skepticism laced within his voice.

"Jennie described his eyes." Jungkook turned slightly over his shoulders, blinking. "But it seems that Jimin's using the vessel of the child of a pureblood. He got too close to her." Jungkook turns his head back to face the window.

After a few moments of silence, Jungkook finally spoke again. "You're wrong about the loyalty of purebloods. We have to test where their loyalty stands..." Jungkook turns to look at Yoongi, eyes burning a dark red. "If they stand with me. Or Jimin."

______

Gravel crunching beneath him, Mark shoves his hands within the pockets of his pants. "Are you just going to stare at their door this whole time? Or are you going to knock? —because I'm cold as fu—"

"Hush." Taehyung snapped, whipping his head toward the blonde. "Jennie is in danger."

Mark laughs. "So you're supposed to be her enemy and yet you're still worried about her safety?"

Taehyung bites his lip. "The council says that Jimin is back. But he's weak."

Mark's face turns pale, but Taehyung continues. "Jungkook was supposed to kill him decades ago, the night Jennie's memories were erased. But I'm guessing Jimin had followers who scrapped his remains and been building him since then."

"What is Jimin going to do to Jennie?"

Taehyung shrugs, taking a step up the stairs. "He's either going to proclaim his rightful thrown to the highest pureblood by marrying Jennie, or murdering both Jennie and Jungkook."

Mark follows closely behind Taehyung up the stairs. "It seems unlikely he'd marry Jennie. Jimin's reign a hundred years ago was favored by most ghouls except the council.."

"Exactly." Taehyung and Mark stop before the door.

As if on cue, the large heavy wooden door swings open, revealing a tiny Jennie with longer hair and tear filled eyes.

Mark whispers beside Taehyung, fully aware she could hear him. "Did she hear all of that..? Or should we pretend we're not here?"

Elbowing the blonde's side, Taehyung flashes a grin to Jennie.

"Surprise."

Gritting her teeth, she attacks the both of them with her fists.

"Hey hey hey—what did I do to deserve the fists of fury?" Mark whined, smiling but playfully trying to grab her wrists.

Aiming for her waist, Taehyung brings her into a hug. Fully taking in her scent.

"We can't be here long." Taehyung speaks into her neck. "Don't trust anyone. Not even Jungkook. Not even me."

He pulls away to look at her face. "Protect yourself. You're in danger. Don't worry about me, Jungkook or anyone. Because this is about you." Taking a step away from her, he begins to turn, walking away. Without looking at her, he instructs Mark to stay.

"Your boyfriends are making me guard you."

Standing behind Jennie with his arms crossed in front of him, the two watch as Taehyung descend the stairs.

Jennie turns to Mark. "You have a lot of explaining to do."