5 | A GREATER THREAT

"careful or you'll lose it"

‣track five: Love Lockdown by Kanye West

Twirling her hair like a wet towel, she drained the brown strands, expelling the water from it. Wrapping a white cotton towel around her body, she stepped out of the tub, her toes meeting the fluffy rug by the shower. Wiping her palm on the foggy mirror, she was confronted with her image looking back at her.

The haunting bruises she had seen in the morning barely vanished from her body. She couldn't bring herself to ask Taehyung if he was the one that had put them there.

Tearing her eyes away, she stepped out the bathroom, flicking the light switch off before shutting the door behind her. Approaching her room, she entered hastily, eyeing the clock on her bed stand that read, 9:31 pm.

Grabbing the blow dryer, she sat in front of her vanity, plugging the cord into the outlet. As she dried her hair, she couldn't help but think of the strange occurrences within just twenty four hours.

Her thoughts ran endlessly to the extent she hadn't realized she was dozing off, her thoughts silent.

A knock to her door and it opened slightly with a croak, revealing her mother. Instantly, her mother's eyes wandered to the bruises on her neck.

Jennie shut the blow dryer off to face her mother, regrettably forgetting that her love bites were in full view.

"Is this what you teenagers do nowadays?" She joked as she nodded toward the phenomenon on her neck, but worry built up within her.

Looking at her mother's gentle expression, she decided on not letting her know about what happened. She herself didn't approach Taehyung about it anyways.

"It's nothing, I got everything handled and under control." She says, although her face contradicted her words and a gulp found its way to travel down her esophagus.

"Jennie Ruby Jane." Her mother said sternly as she knelt down to her so that they could be in a somewhat eye level position.

Dreading the anticipation and wordy lecture she was about to receive, she was caught off guard when her mother stood up from her hunched position, seeing herself out the door.

Before she closed it completely shut, she muttered loud enough for her daughter to hear. "Just talk to me when you're ready. And just because I've allowed Taehyung to sleep over, he is staying on the couch downstairs. I will know if he comes up here." And the sound of footsteps retreating were heard, until another door shut, assuming she had gone into her own room.

Mumbling under her breath, she got up from where she was seated and closed the door. "Do people not know how to close the door after?"

Letting out a breath of relief she didn't know she was holding, she tidied up and brought out her pajamas, not knowing something was watching her through her window. Her towel had dropped to her feet, showcasing her smooth skin, the bruises tarnishing her beautiful body.