6 | THE HOT ZONE

"please understand that i'm trying my hardest"

‣track six: Will He by Joji

Jennie was in class, more specifically, Honors Physiology. Her teacher was going on about a book about the Ebola outbreak - a book called The Hot Zone, and he was passionate about teaching his lesson, fan-boying over how well written it was.

She had her chin in her palm, pretending to listen, nodding her head every time he made eye contact with her.

The recent turn of events had bothered her the whole day, ignoring Taehyung at lunch and opting to hide out by the bleachers and eating her lunch by herself.

She would even turn the other way as soon as she spotted his familiar figure. She didn't understand why she was avoiding him even when she unnecessarily behaved the way she did. All he did was apologize.

Her teacher's voice was beginning to sound desperate now and honestly, she felt bad that no one was really paying any attention, until he assigned everyone to read The Hot Zone, along with assigning a book log every day, basically reading at least a chapter and then writing your reflection about it. Thankfully, the assigning of homework distracted her from her troubles.

Although, this made everyone's ears perk up at the sound of their teacher's ecstatic voice announcing an assignment, cries of whining and grunting filled the class room.

It was preposterous assigning a tedious assignment every day, especially in the first week of their second semester as seniors.

Tuning in back to reality, she was observing her classmates sink into their seats miserably as she adjusted her hearing to fully pay attention to her desperate teacher, peeling off her hand from her face, letting them rest on her desk.

She leaned in forward, closer, interest piqued. "It's not a group assignment, its individual, and I'll be checking to see your book logs every day if you've actually done it."

Then, a student from the back of the class raised his hand, not really to ask a question, "Do you think we're elementary students, Mr. Klein?"

"Just because you teenagers think you're heading off to college you suddenly think you're going to get away with not doing any homework?" Everyone stayed silent. "In college, you'll wish you had it this easy. . ." hesitantly, Mr. Klein looked into the eyes of his student seriously. "So I expect all of you to not be lazy and fall into the traps of Senioritis. Enjoy your last few months of high school and do your homework. Any questions about physiology and what we'll be learning in this class?"

Her phone vibrated, making her deaf to her teacher's wise words of wisdom again. Looking at the lit up screen, she flashed a small smile to herself, seeing the name in view. Ignoring it, she decided she'll respond to the text message later, bringing her attention back to her teacher.