Chapter 1

We have one more day until the first day of school and I'm already anxious, for no reason. What if I don't have any friends? What if I get bullied? What if I fail all of my classes? What if I even fail at life?

"Dwayne? Are you okay?" Mom woke me up from my thoughts and I realized I was still at the dinner table with my family.

"Um, yes." I answered quietly.

"Well you barely touched your food." Dad said pointing to my plate.

"Oh um, right." I trembled picking up my fork and began eating.

"I can't wait till the first day of school." JD said excitedly.

"And why is that?" Mom chuckled.

"Because I get to meet new friends, new teachers and new everything." JD said.

"Oh that's nice, sweetie. Are you excited, Ricky?" Mom asked Ricky.

He just shrugged and said "I don't know."

"Okay. How about you Dwayne?" Mom asked me.

I didn't know how to answer so I just shrugged. "You're not gonna give me a real answer?" Mom asked.

How can Ricky get away with just a shrug? I sighed and said, "A little."

"Okay then. Everyone make sure you guys rinse y'all plates and cups out and put them in the sink." Mom said to all of us. We all did what we were told and headed upstairs to shower.

"I caught first!" JD yelled as we reached upstairs. Me and Ricky went to our room and waited.

I sat on my bed and put my head down on my knees. "You okay?" Ricky asked me.

"I'm just nervous, that's all." I answered.

"No need to be nervous." Ricky said. I rolled my eyes. "It's just like those other first days of school from 5th grade and earlier."

"Well, Ricky, this is middle school. I'm pretty sure once you finally reach middle school you'll be a nervous wreck like I am." I said quickly. Ricky just stared at me. I just sighed and got my backpack ready for school tomorrow.

"Sorry I made you mad." Ricky said quietly.

"You didn't make me mad. I was just trying to tell you that middle school just feels like another chapter of my life and things will be a bit harder for me." I said calmly.

"Okay, I understand now." Ricky smiled.

JD came in our room with a towel covering him. "Who's next?"

"Me." Ricky said running to the bathroom. JD followed him out of the room and I continued to pack.