Chapter 4

After 5th period, me and Jacqueline walked to lunch together. "Hey, you could sit with my old friends from elementary school." Jacqueline said. Must be nice reunite with your old friends.

"Sure, that'll be nice." I smiled. As we got our lunches, I followed her to a table that sat two boys. "Hi Jacqueline." One of the boys said.

"Hey." Jacqueline said back. "Guys, this is Dwayne. He's from another state." I waved shyly at them.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Christopher." One of the boys greeted.

"And I'm Richard." The other boy greeted.

"Oh I have a little brother named Richard, too." I said.

"Oh really?" Richard asked.

"Yeah, but he prefers to be called Ricky saying that 'he doesn't really enjoy it'." I said using air quotes. We all chuckled and finally sat down.

"So where did you move from?" Christopher asked me.

"I moved from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania." I answered.

"Must've been a long drive." Jacqueline said.

"Yep, it was." I sighed.

"I just now noticed your shirt and I love it." Richard said. I looked down and remembered that I was wearing one of my Captain America shirts.

"Oh thanks." I said. "Are you a Marvel fan?"

"Yeah, I like Marvel. But I think I like DC more." Richard said.

"I like both Marvel and DC equally." Christopher said.

"I actually enjoy DC superheroes a lot." Jacqueline joined the conversation.

"Oh cool," I said to her. "Who's your favorite?"

Jacqueline blushed and said, "Hawkgirl."

"Mine is the Flash." I said. Jacqueline blushed a little bit more and giggled.

"You seem more of a Batman person." I chuckled at that comment which made Jacqueline blush a bit more and giggle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After 7th period was over, I walked with my three of my new friends to the front of the school to wait for our parents. As we got outside, Christopher was the first to leave. "See you guys tomorrow." Christopher waved. We all waved back and waited. I noticed that Jacqueline kept staring at me and it made me feel a little uncomfortable.

Richard broke the uncomfortableness asking, "Is it me or does anybody else kind of don't like our math teacher?"

"Yeah, he is kind of boring." I answered.

"And he talks so slow like it makes me feel like the whole period is gonna drag." Jacqueline said. All of a sudden I heard a car horn. I looked over and saw my mom's minivan.

"My mom is here. I'll see y'all tomorrow." I said.

"Bye." Richard waved.

"Bye!" Jacqueline said kind of excited. I sat in the passenger seat and saw Ricky, JD and Lucille's car seat in the backseat.

"So, how was y'all's first day of school?" Mom asked us.

"It was pretty cool, I met some new friends." Ricky said.

"I've met new friends, too. And we all like the color red." JD said. I couldn't help but chuckle at that.

"Oh that's good to hear." Mom said. "How about you Dwayne?"

"It was okay. I met three new friends and that was pretty much it." I said.

"Oh that's nice." Mom said. "Work was exhausting for me."

"Why?" I asked.

"It was busy. My first day on the job and I was already working my butt off." Mom laughed a bit. "But I'll be fine." I nodded and looked out the window.

So far, I think middle school isn't gonna be so bad. I've met new friends and I'm starting to get used to the new kind of people around me. I think I'll be fine.