Chapter 8

The next day after Dad dropped me off of school, I quickly searched for the list in the hallways. I finally found it and joined the small group of people who were also looking at the list.

I searched the A section and found my name. "Yes!" I whispered excitedly to myself.

"Hey Dwayne." Richard called me from behind.

"Oh hi." I greeted.

"I saw your name up there. I told you there's nothing to be nervous about." Richard said.

"Did you make it?" I asked.

"Oh yes, I made it." Richard laughed.

"Oh that's great." I said kind of excited. "We're gonna be in choir together."

"What's up guys?" Jacqueline said walking up to us with Christopher walking next to her.

"We're just having a mini celebration on our success at auditions." Richard said.

"Oh what did y'all audition for?" Christopher asked.

"Choir." I answered.

Christopher nodded his head. "I'm joining soccer this year. My mom suggested that I should try and do something this school year so I guess."

"Have you played soccer before?" Jacqueline asked.

"Yeah, for an after school program." Christopher answered.

"So you're joining art club, right?" I asked Jacqueline.

"Oh yes." Jacqueline blushed. "I wanted to continue doing my passion so I joined something that'll help."

The first period bell rang which means everyone has about 4 minutes to get to our classes. We all waved bye to each other and headed to our first period.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For dinner Mom made taco salad. We all sat at the dinner table and ate. "Did you make it to the choir team?" Dad asked.

Choir team? Who the hell calls it a choir team? I tried to forget about that and answered, "Yes I did."

"Awesome. I can make some ice cream for us to celebrate." Mom said.

"What about me? I got in for flag football." Ricky said. Oh the struggle of being a middle child.

"You're finally joining a sport?" Dad asked.

"Yes." Ricky said. "It sounded fun so I signed up."

"Well we can make ice cream after dinner to celebrate for the both of you." Mom said.

After dinner Mom made strawberry ice cream and let me tell you, it was way better than Ben and Jerry's or any other ice cream. After that we went upstairs to get ready for bed.

I grabbed my DSi from the top of the dresser and played on it. "You guys in bed?" Dad asked before turning off the lights for us.

"Yes." Me and Ricky answered.

"Okay, goodnight boys. Dwayne don't play on that DS all night." Dad turned off the lights and closed our door.

Hours have passed and I kept noticing that my screens on my DS kept getting blurry. I yawned and realized that I was getting sleepy. I checked the time and it was just almost 11:40 so I turned off my DS and laid down on my bed.

"Dwayne." I heard someone call my name quietly. I turned around and saw that it was Ricky laying on his bed looking at me.

"What?" I mumbled.

"I'm scared." He quietly said.

"Of what?"

"O-of middle school."

"What are you talking about? You're not even in middle school yet."

"I know. It's just that the word middle school seems....scary and hard."

I chuckled a little. "It's not that hard. Trust me, I'm going through my first year of it right now."

"I know." Ricky smiled.

"But really the only thing I can say is that don't make it what you think it will be. If you just work hard, do your homework, don't slack off or something like that, you'll survive middle school. So don't worry." I said.

"Ok." Ricky said while laying down all the way. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." I yawned and drifted off to sleep.