Chapter 15

It was a nice and warm evening, perfect day for watching my little brother and other elementary school boys play this football game. The other team's jerseys looked quite cool, too. They had red jerseys with black letters.

Both teams are playing so well that the score is 17-14 in second quarter. A certain someone next to me woke me up from my thoughts with his high pitched voice. "Mommy, I want some popcorn."

"Dwayne can you go with him to get some popcorn?" Mom asked as she handed me a five dollar bill.

"Sure." I sighed and got up with JD to the concession stand. We stood in line smelling the mixture of different fried and grilled foods making me hungry. I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned and saw Jacqueline waving at me. "Oh hey." I hugged her. "What are you doing here?"

"My god brother is on the football team." Jacqueline responded.

"Oh my biological brother is playing on the team, too." I said.

Jacqueline laughed at my remark. "That's cool. So what are you getting from here?"

"Just buying my youngest brother some popcorn." I pointed to JD who was standing next to me.

"Aww he looks so cute." Jacqueline said.

"Yeah yeah, everyone says that like he's two years old or something when he's only eight years old." JD shoved me and I began to laugh with Jacqueline. "Okay let me order this popcorn for you so we can get back." I said going towards the counter. I grabbed the box full of popcorn and turned back to Jacqueline. "It was good seeing you here."

"Yeah," Jacqueline blushed, "it was."

"See you tomorrow." I said walking away.

"Bye." JD said walking behind me.

Jacqueline chuckled and waved back. "Bye."

"What took y'all so long?" Mom asked.

"The line was a little long." I responded.

"No, he was too busy talking to a girl." JD said and I began to glare at him.

"A girl huh?" Mom raised an eyebrow.

"S-she's just a good friend of mine." I lied hoping she'll believe me at least a little bit.

Mom stared at me for a while and finally spoke, "Well I'm glad that you're making friends." I sighed and took a handful of popcorn from JD. I looked past his head and saw Jacqueline holding a large drink standing next to someone-I'm guessing it's her grandpa-watching the game from the gated fence. She just looks so beautiful with her long curly brown hair touching her mid-back.

I began to daydream staring at her direction for a real long time. "Are you staring at that girl you were talking to?" JD put his head in my view.

"Why are you all in my business?" I snapped.

"Because I can." JD snapped back.

Mom tapped my knee three times. "Ya'll two quit fighting." Everyone started cheering because of half-time and some guy in the middle of the field were advertising some stuff. "Stay here with your dad while I go change your sister." Mom said and headed to the restrooms.

"This school's football team is really good." Dad said staring at the scoreboard. "We're winning by two points." I nodded and didn't see Jacqueline by the gated fence anymore. "So when is your first choir concert, Dwayne?" Dad asked me.

"Um, I don't know yet." I answered. "It's only the second week of school."

Dad chuckled. "You right, you right. My bad."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm so proud of you, Ricky. You and your team did great." Dad said while driving.

"Thank you." Ricky said looking out the window. "So where are we going? Where are we going?"

"You'll see." Mom said while laughing. Ricky's team won 22-18 and now we're celebrating with a surprise late night dinner.

A few minutes later we pulled up to a parking lot and saw that we arrived at Friendly's. Ricky looked out the window and gasped. "Sweet! We're gonna have ice cream for dinner?"

"We're actually gonna get real food first, then we'll have ice cream after." Dad said unbuckling his seatbelt.

We all got out the minivan and entered the restaurant where we met one of the waiters. "Hello, how many?" He asked.

"Umm," Mom counted who all was here, "there are six of us."

"Okay." The waiter said picking up five menus. "Right this way." We followed him to a booth that can fit three people on each side. Mom asked for a car seat holder and sat down. 

A waitress came with the car seat holder and a small notebook. "Hello, my name is Ryanne I will be taking care of you today. So can I start you off with something to drink?" 

"I'll just take a water." Mom said.

"I want a chocolate milkshake." JD said.

"Are you gonna drink it all?" Dad asked.

"Yes. I want a milkshake."

"Okay then, I'll have Pepsi." Dad said.

"I'll have Mountain Dew." I said.

"I want the oreo milkshake." Ricky said.

"Okay, I'll have those ready." Ryanne said and walked away to another table. 

"Did you have fun at your first game today?" Dad asked Ricky.

"Yeah, my left leg is kinda sore but it's alright." Ricky answered.

"Well when we get back home we can ice it for you overnight." Mom said.

"Thank you Mom." 

The waitress came back with our drinks. "Are you guys ready to order?"

"Yes we are." Dad said picking up his menu.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We came back home feeling stuffed from our dinner and ice cream. "Okay let's get ready for bed." Mom said stretching a little. 

Me and Ricky went upstairs to our room to put on our pjs. Ricky sat on his bed and rubbed his left leg. "Is it still sore?" I asked. 

Ricky nodded his head slowly. "Yeah."

"I can help take your pants off and put on you pj pants." 

Ricky made a face. "No I'm good." Then he took off his shirt. 

Mom came in with a big blue ice pack. "Here this is for your leg." Ricky grabbed the pack and sat it next to him. "Good night boys." Mom began to close our door.

"Goodnight." Both of us said back. 

Ricky began to lay in his bed. "Can you help me put this ice pack on my leg?"

"Sure." I said while picking up the ice pack and placed it on his leg. He began to squeak loudly and jumped so hard that the frame on his bed lifted off the ground with him. "What?" I asked.

"It's really cold." Ricky whined.

I rolled my eyes. "It came from the freezer what did you expect?" I quickly put the bag on his leg and pulled over his covers. 

I got in my bed and turned off the lamp next to me.