Chapter 26

~~The Night Before the Choir Concert~~

"I'm pretty excited to see you sing up on stage again for the first time in what, three years?" Dad said while eating his dinner.

"I'm actually pretty nervous." I said quietly.

"Oh don't lie like that." Mom said. "The first time you were up on the stage singing with your other group members you weren't nervous at all, you were actually pretty excited."

"Yeah but I was in kindergarten that time. Now I'm just developing stage fright and worry what others might think of me."

"Honey don't worry about what others will think of you. You're getting all worked up for nothing because you haven't done anything like this in a while. It's okay." Mom calmly said.

"Okay I guess." I said eating my food in stress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up and smelled bacon. I didn't even have to think about it, Mom is making her famous sausage, bacon and egg breakfast sandwiches because today is my choir concert. I mean yeah it's been awhile since I sang on stage, but it's not that special....to me anyways.

Ricky woke up moments later and looked confused. "I could've sworn we were sleeping on the couch because there were roaches on our beds."

"I guess it was just a dream." I said hoping there wasn't any roaches for real.

"Oh good." Ricky sighed of relief. "I think Mom is making breakfast. Let's go."

"Ugh, give me a few more minutes. I don't feel like getting up yet."

Soon Ricky ran and quickly pulled my arm and I magically fell off my bed. "Get your lazy butt up and come eat this breakfast that Mom made just for us."

"Okay okay damn." I slowly got up and walked downstairs to the kitchen where the rest of the family was.

"Are you excited for tonight honey?" Mom asked me.

"Yes I guess." I answered sitting down at the table.

Dad placed a plate of two breakfast sandwiches in front of me. "I think you'll do great. Just don't be nervous, heck pretend that everyone is wearing underwear."

"I don't see how that helps." I said.

"it worked for me when I had to present my senior project in high school." Dad said. "I'm pretty sure it might work for you."

"Mommy, will there be food at the concert?" JD asked.

"I think there's gonna be a small bake sale during the thing so maybe." I answered for JD.

"Oooh yes." JD cheered quietly.

"Hey if you want we can go and get some dinner before the concert." Mom said to me.

"That'll be nice." I said knowing that food will always calm my nerves.

"It has to be somewhere quick though." Mom said. I nodded and began eating my breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After we all ate at Smashburger, we pulled up to my school and I got out of the car wearing the 'business casual' outfit required for the performance. I took a deep breath walked inside with my family.

"How many?" The guy at the front asked.

Mom read the sign that said PERFORMERS AND CHILDREN UNDER 4 ARE FREE and then answered, "There are four of us."

"That'll be $4." Mom handed the guy four dollars and we all went further into the building.

"There you are." I heard a voice call." I turned and saw Richard walking towards me. "I was waiting for you to show up. Mrs. Whitaker said that we gotta be in the choir room to rehears."

"Okay. I gotta be in the choir room." I told Dad. He nodded and began walking with the others.

"Mommy mommy! There's that bake sale! I want a cookie! I want a cookie!" JD yelled pulling Mom's arm.

"Is that your brother?" Richard asked.

"Yes." I sighed. "He's a special one."

We entered the choir room and I didn't see a certain face sitting near my spot. "So I'm guessing Andrew got kicked out of choir too." I whispered.

"Mmhm." Richard nodded. "I can't take him staring dead at us everyday at practice."

"Glad it's all over." I gave Richard a small fist bump and we went to our seats.

"Hello my lovelies." Mrs. Whitaker greeted sweetly. "I hope you guys are excited or maybe a little nervous for our first show this school year. I just wanna give you guys a little pep talk to help. If you are nervous, don't worry. Take deep breaths, keep watching me and my fingers and remember to relax so you can sing smoother."

I really needed that. I'm honestly really nervous about this and I don't know how this is gonna go. Now I'll know to keep my eyes on her and relax. "Now let's quickly rehears our five songs and our five solos and duets for tonight." Mrs. Whitaker said.

After our mini rehearsal, we all got in one line and followed Mrs. Whitaker to backstage of the auditorium. I took probably like ten thousand deep breaths on our way there. "Dwayne, man calm down you're gonna be okay." Richard tried to comfort me.

"Alright guys find your spots on the risers and make sure you stay quiet. After my introduction the curtains will open and we'll begin our show. Got it?" Mrs. Whitaker whispered. We all nodded and made our way to the risers.

"Hey let's give each other good lucks." Richard fist bumped me.

"Good luck." I said. I really hope I don't pee my pants, or accidentally cough or anything happens during this.

Wish me luck guys.