Chapter 7

The next morning, Dad woke us up to eat breakfast and get ready.....it's an everyday thing now apparently.

Me and Ricky sleepily walked downstairs to the kitchen, JD came down afterwards. I sat my bowl on the table and began eating. "Are you okay?" Ricky asked as he joined me at the table. I noticed that JD had put his head down.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"No." JD muffled.

"Why?"

"Because the boy is still bullying me." JD said. "And I'm scared to go to school." I began to feel bad.

"Why haven't you still tell the teacher or any other adult?" I asked.

"Because I'm scared that even if I tell them, he'll still mess with me, or he might call me a snitch." JD said.

I sighed and stopped eating. "Look JD, I'm pretty sure whoever you're gonna tell will do something about it. Stop being scared of what that stupid boy might say or do to you, just do the right thing and tell somebody that someone is messing with you."

JD looked down and sighed. "O-okay. I'll try."

"If you're ever still scared to do it, I'll go with you to tell somebody." Ricky said.

"Can you do it with me, please?" JD asked.

"Sure. That's why I offered to help." Ricky said.

"Are you boys finish with y'all's breakfast?" Dad asked walking downstairs.

"Almost." Ricky said.

"Okay. Make sure you guys get ready soon." Dad said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After school, I decided to sit in the cafeteria to finish this "All About Me" worksheet for Language Arts while I wait for choir auditions to starts.

I heard a familiar "Hello." next to me. I turned and saw Richard.

"Oh hi." I greeted. "What you staying after for?"

"I'm waiting on choir auditions." Richard said.

"You're auditioning for choir too?" I asked.

"Yes. Are you?"

"Yep."

"Looks like we're doing extra curricular activities together." Richard said with a smile.

"I'm actually kind of nervous." I said putting my homework in my backpack.

"Why?" Richard asked.

"I'm just worried that I'm not good enough for the program and that I won't make it." I said.

"Don't think like that." Richard said quietly. "Don't let your thoughts get the best of you. Just focus on your song your doing and how great you'll sound instead of what others will think."

I smiled. "Thanks."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During auditions, I sat on the waiting chair next to Richard looking over and singing the music in my head while tapping my foot nervously. One of the choir staff walked in with a clipboard which almost made me jump.

"Next is Richard Washington." The woman called.

"Wish me luck." Richard said getting up.

"Good luck." I trembled. About five minutes later, Richard came back in the room. "How did it go?" I asked.

"I think I did pretty good." Richard said.

"That's good." I said looking at the floor.

"Don't be too nervous. Hey, I'll stick around until you're done trying out." He offered. I smiled.

"Next is Dwayne Anderson." I sighed loudly and I began to shake.

"Good luck." Richard said. I followed the lady to one of the choir rooms and and gave one of my copies of the music to one of the staff.

"Whenever you're ready." The man said.

I took a deep breath and began to sing in my countertenor singing voice. After I was finished, the man gave me a smile like I did good......I hope. "Thank you. Make sure you check the list tomorrow." He said. I nodded and left the room.

I walked out and saw Richard getting up. "How did you do?" He asked.

"I think I did good." I sighed.

"Good. I'm proud of you." Richard hugged. We both went outside and saw our parents. We waved and I got in my Dad's car.

"How was auditions?" Dad asked.

"It was good." I answered.

"Were you nervous?" Dad asked.

"A little." I chuckled.

"It's okay to be nervous at certain things like auditions. I was nervous during my job interview last month and guess what? I got the job. I'm pretty sure you'll get in choir." Dad said which calmed me down.

I smiled and began hoping that I got on the list tomorrow.